4 year degree but want to become an Electrician - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 01-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default 4 year degree but want to become an Electrician

I recently graduated with a Math degree from a 4 year university and am thinking about becoming a Apprentice Electrician. The trade really interests me but I don't want to feel like i'm wasting my degree. I guess my degree is never gonna go away so I could just try out the trade and if I don't like it, I could do something else.

Anyway, I was wondering what you all think of a person with a degree in math going into an apprentice program? Would you advise against it? Do you think I should try to see what I can achieve with my degree first then turn to the apprenticeship if I really hate my work? Or vise versa
mgk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,888

The median annual wage for mathematicians was $101,360 in May 2012. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $56,040, and the top 10 percent earned more than $152,950.

Job Outlook, 2012-22 23% (Much faster than average)

I cannot for the life of me imagine why you would not go for a job like that over a job as an electrician.
NC Plc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NC Plc For This Useful Post:
dronai (01-14-2015), John Valdes (01-15-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC EET View Post
The median annual wage for mathematicians was $101,360 in May 2012. The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less. The lowest 10 percent earned less than $56,040, and the top 10 percent earned more than $152,950.

I cannot for the life of me imagine why you would not go for a job like that over a job as an electrician.
yea I guess you're right. I mean I am going to have to get my masters or phd for that kind of salary so there is going to be more school no matter what. I've just been going over a ton of career paths and the Electrician one seemed the coolest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 04:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,004

Besides a higher level graduate degree or education what does a math degree get you in a job related field?

I don't think it would help or hinder and many employers look at a degree regardless of what it is as personal perseverance and may consider you over an equally qualified candidate.

Once near the top there can be quite a bit of math in the electrical world but that is something you have to strive for.
xpertpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk101 View Post
yea I guess you're right. I mean I am going to have to get my masters or phd for that kind of salary so there is going to be more school no matter what. I've just been going over a ton of career paths and the Electrician one seemed the coolest.
Well, the work I do is very interesting to me and I really enjoy industrial electrical work, but it's far more physically demanding and has a much lower pay cap that what you would get if you went for your masters or doctorate in mathematics and pursued a job as a mathematician.

I will say that yes, there are electricians pulling in 6 figures, some on this site claim that, but they are statical anomalies deviating from the norm. They are not a baseline when it comes to salaries earned as an electrician.

-I am an apprentice, I am not a licensed electrician. My opinion comes from what I have seen and the research I have done via google that pertains to electrician salaries.-
The Following User Says Thank You to NC Plc For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Well, the work I do is very interesting to me and I really enjoy industrial electrical work, but it's far more physically demanding and has a much lower pay cap that what you would get if you went for your masters or doctorate in mathematics and pursued a job as a mathematician.

I will say that yes, there are electricians pulling in 6 figures, some on this site claim that, but they are statical anomalies deviating from the norm. They are not a baseline when it comes to salaries earned as an electrician.

-I am an apprentice, I am not a licensed electrician. My opinion comes from what I have seen and the research I have done via google that pertains to electrician salaries.-

I just don't want to be a mathematician. I was more interested in pursuing a career in IT or programming. It's one of those things where I have to pick something and run with it. I have HEAVILY researched the Electrician career and I know I would love it.

Just one of those forks in the road I guess.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:

An electrician making 6 figures has a good pay rate and works hard, or, is self employed and does electrical work that is not your every day electrical work.

I agree with you, the majority of electricians make in the mid 5 figures to high 5 figures.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hardworkingstiff For This Useful Post:
NC Plc (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 06:28 PM   #8

Quote:
I just don't want to be a mathematician. I was more interested in pursuing a career in IT or programming. It's one of those things where I have to pick something and run with it. I have HEAVILY researched the Electrician career and I know I would love it.

Just one of those forks in the road I guess.
It sounds like you have made up your mind. Good luck.

Are you going to try to get in the union or not?
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
Old 01-14-2015, 06:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworkingstiff View Post
It sounds like you have made up your mind. Good luck.

Are you going to try to get in the union or not?
Thank you! I will be doing union.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Thank you! I will be doing union.
Have you applied? Are they taking on new (members?)?
Old 01-14-2015, 06:52 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 10,226

Quote:

Um, he has a degree in math, I don't think you need to explain to him what median means....
five.five-six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to five.five-six For This Useful Post:
dhlandry (01-15-2015), dronai (01-14-2015), electricbysullivan (01-17-2015), glen1971 (01-15-2015), Mountain Electrician (01-15-2015), Pharon (01-15-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 07:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
Um, he has a degree in math, I don't think you need to explain to him what median means....
I didn't post that in an attempt to educate him to what median means, it's included in the quote. I posted it to show him how much mathematicians make. Your reading comprehension makes me want to cry.

Last edited by NC Plc; 01-14-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #13

Quote:
The median wage is the wage at which half the workers in an occupation earned more than that amount and half earned less.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:15 PM   #14
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:
I recently graduated with a Math degree from a 4 year university and am thinking about becoming a Apprentice Electrician. The trade really interests me but I don't want to feel like i'm wasting my degree. I guess my degree is never gonna go away so I could just try out the trade and if I don't like it, I could do something else.

Anyway, I was wondering what you all think of a person with a degree in math going into an apprentice program? Would you advise against it? Do you think I should try to see what I can achieve with my degree first then turn to the apprenticeship if I really hate my work? Or vise versa

My dear lad, have you assumed some sort of head injury ....?

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
DesignerMan (01-16-2015), five.five-six (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 07:16 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post
I fixed my post for you.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #16

Lol.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #17

Haha thanks guys for your replies. I have not applied yet and still have not decided whether I am going to. I may give it a year or 2...or 3.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:29 PM   #18
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 441

I have a friend who graduated from MIT with a math degree. He owns lots of high end rental properties. He also invests daily trading gold, and various stocks.
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:49 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,004

I still want to know what a 4 year math degree gets you employed at? rocket science - origami? When going for that degree there must have been some sort of plan.

Not being snarky with my question but am just curious, my brother got a 4 year in theoretical mathematics (is there a difference?) and went on to be a network administrator, it paid good but was too demanding for a family man. Constant schooling and seminars wore on him.

He quit and got his masters in education and is now a 6th grade science teacher making about $60k and loves going to work. He gets government grants to buy robot kits and loves the awe when children get to learn neat stuff.
xpertpc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xpertpc For This Useful Post:
dronai (01-14-2015)
Old 01-14-2015, 09:41 PM   #20
ABB

Rewards Points: 210

I heard a story of an electrician that was called to a beautiful house, more like a mansion, with a non-working kitchen garbage disposal. The elderly electrician reset the breaker then handed the homeowner a $115 invoice.

The homeowner said "But you were only here for two minutes. I'm a nationally recognized motivational speaker and even I don't make that much per hour!" The elderly electrician nodded his head then said when he was a nationally recognized motivational speaker, he didn't make that much either."

Best wishes, whichever you decide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Opinions are my own.
DougAles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DougAles For This Useful Post:
Black Dog (01-16-2015), dronai (01-15-2015), glen1971 (01-15-2015), Morales95 (01-17-2015), Pharon (01-15-2015), shocksystems (01-15-2015), xpertpc (01-14-2015)