5 Questions for research paper! - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree15Likes
  • 3 Post By PlugsAndLights
  • 5 Post By chicken steve
  • 1 Post By PlugsAndLights
  • 1 Post By varmit
  • 1 Post By Corysan
  • 1 Post By ElectricalArtist
  • 3 Post By MechanicalDVR

Old 02-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
Default 5 Questions for research paper!

Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new here and like the industry of electronics/electrician field, etc, but know very little about the overall subject. I am currently writing a paper on the *residential* electrician industry/electrical work and the overall cost of services, and the issues within the industry today... These questions are probably not what you would expect for a research paper but trying to get as much clarity as possible.

... any info/input would be extremely helpful! Thank you very much for all of your answers and sorry for the long list of questions!

1) What overall service do you like doing the least in the residential electrician field and why?

2) If you had to pick just one service: What specific residential service costs the most money for a home owner, requires the most expertise/requires immediate attention, but doesn't take a huge amount of effort/time for the electrician to fix/install?

3) What are the top 3 daily frustrations of an electrician? What is number 1 frustration and why?

4) What trends are currently occurring within the electrician field?

5) What are electricians most afraid of relating to their work? (Outside of being electrocuted!)

Thank you very much!!
jrfhope83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

I'm too lazy to answer all the questions, but 1 of things I like least is
working in houses crowded with junk. Doesn't get better if they smell
like cat piss.
P&L
brian john, splatz and Majewski like this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #3
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

[quote=jrfhope83;3702257]
Quote:
Hi everyone!
Welcome to ET

Quote:
... any info/input would be extremely helpful! Thank you very much for all of your answers and sorry for the long list of questions!
yoookay....

Quote:
1) What overall service do you like doing the least in the residential electrician field and why?
Anywhere DIYer's have not been first

Quote:
2) If you had to pick just one service: What specific residential service costs the most money for a home owner, requires the most expertise/requires immediate attention, but doesn't take a huge amount of effort/time for the electrician to fix/install?
Service entrance upgrades

Quote:
3) What are the top 3 daily frustrations of an electrician? What is number 1 frustration and why?
DIY'ers , Maintenance men , HI's , especially HI's

Quote:
Alt energy , love it or hate it....

Quote:
5) What are electricians most afraid of relating to their work? (Outside of being electrocuted!)
Litigation...

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
jrfhope83 (02-24-2017)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2017, 09:13 PM   #4

What do you mean by HI's... like someone saying hello?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:39 PM   #5
Safety Pin Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfhope83 View Post
What do you mean by HI's... like someone saying hello?
Home Inspectors.
P&L
Majewski likes this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
The Following User Says Thank You to PlugsAndLights For This Useful Post:
jrfhope83 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 09:46 PM   #6

haha... Thanks!
Old 02-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #7

Are there other names for service entrance upgrades?
Old 02-24-2017, 09:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 26,354

Quote:
"Heavy-ups."
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,646

[QUOTE=jrfhope83;3702257]Hi everyone!

I'm fairly new here and like the industry of electronics/electrician field, etc, but know very little about the overall subject. I am currently writing a paper on the *residential* electrician industry/electrical work and the overall cost of services, and the issues within the industry today... These questions are probably not what you would expect for a research paper but trying to get as much clarity as possible.

(1) I don't do residential work any more. When I did, residential light fixtures were a pain.

(2) Service change.

(3) These apply to industrial service:
a. Lack of equipment documentation
b. Customer comment/ action: "We need it fixed now, but we can't shut it
down for repair."
c. Trying to find repair parts for obsolete equipment.

(4) Skill set and workmanship are largely a thing of the past.

(5) Causing injury to someone else.

Thank you very much!![/QUO

1) I don't do residential work any more. When I did, residential light fixtures were a pain.

(2) Service change.

(3) These apply to industrial service:
a. Lack of equipment documentation
b. Customer comment/ action: "We need it fixed now, but we can't shut it
down for repair."
c. Trying to find repair parts for obsolete equipment.

(4) Skill set and workmanship are largely a thing of the past.

(5) Causing injury to someone else.
Corysan likes this.
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to varmit For This Useful Post:
jrfhope83 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:30 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,131

1. Landscape lighting. I hate kneeling and bending over all day in the dirt. Digging and all that crap. Plus, its hard to tell what the lights are gonna look like at night, so you end up coming back to adjust things.

2. Service upgrades

3a. Changing plans/Indecisive customers
3b. Not having the correct part(s)
3c. Getting paid on time

4. Solar and Generators are big in my area.

5. Getting sued, and not having enough work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mdnitedrftr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdnitedrftr For This Useful Post:
jrfhope83 (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 11:38 PM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,952

Welcome aboard!

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:45 PM   #12
Safety Pin Member

Quote:
Often means panel change.
P&L
Old 02-24-2017, 11:51 PM   #13

Sorry for beating the drum here... are "service entrance upgrades" the same as "service change"?
Old 02-25-2017, 02:35 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 230

I think that you have the same view I had when first getting into the industry. It is very common to assume that electricians primarily work in residential applications. The industry is very large with a huge amount of variety in the type of work done. The answers to some of your questions will depend largely on the area of the industry of the people you are asking. These are the best answers I can give generally for the industry as I see it:

1. Dealing with people that see you as a net loss/unscrupulous criminal walking in the door.

2. This is hard to nail down. Everything (I mean everything) is based on material and labor. Labor is always hourly. The more expensive the material and the longer it takes increases the cost. No offense, but the question is somewhat flawed. I don't know many electricians that bill differently for different tasks, but I suppose it happens. Other than that, emergency calls cost the most due to premium time charges.

3. From most frustrating downward:
a. Unrealistic customer expectations.
b. Lack of information to perform the work.
c. Logistical/ supply problems.
This is a larger issue but filters down to literally everything else- a bad economy.

4. Specialization/ division of labor, organizational model development (application of lean methodology), technological changes (smart building systems, solar, etc).

5. The economy. It's all about the money. No work, no money. Less work, less money. More competition from untrained/unqualified hacks. When the food runs out on the raft, the fangs come out.

Thanks for taking the time to ask the guys in the trenches.
Signal1 likes this.
Corysan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corysan For This Useful Post:
jrfhope83 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #15
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Sorry for beating the drum here... are "service entrance upgrades" the same as "service change"?
Yes and no.

A service change could just be changing out a damaged panel for a repair and not upgrading the amperage or adding a panel that holds more breakers.

An upgrade is just that, putting in a larger panel and associated equipment that handles more amperage.

The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
jrfhope83 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:17 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 146

My number 1 fustration is that I got forced to become Rushing. I used to be italian until I became an electrician now everything is a fkn rush. Always rushing
chicken steve likes this.
ElectricalArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricalArtist For This Useful Post:
jrfhope83 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #17
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Hi, good luck with you paper. How old are you?

Quote:
I'm not big on residential in the first place but don't care for working in dirty or worse conditions.

Quote:
A service upgrade costs the most of basic repair items and needs quick response if the current panel is overloaded or in need of repair due to damaged internal problems .

Quote:
Impatient and or hovering homeowners. DIYers that start a project they are clueless about and need you to finish up. Work started by handymen that should have stayed in polishing shoes. It's never fun to clean up a mess you didn't create.

Quote:
LED lighting upgrades.

Quote:

Thank you very much!!
Not getting paid, liability problems beyond their control, running out of work for a time.
chicken steve, Signal1 and Corysan like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
jrfhope83 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #18

Thanks everyone for your answers!... so basically, at the end of the day, most (if not all) residential electricians would like service entrance upgrade work more than anything else... Would that be fair to say?
Old 02-25-2017, 01:46 PM   #19
Safety Pin Member

Quote:
Thanks everyone for your answers!... so basically, at the end of the day, most (if not all) residential electricians would like service entrance upgrade work more than anything else... Would that be fair to say?
We're a diverse group and that makes generalizing difficult. Service
upgrades are profitable but they can also be physically demanding,
stressful, and subject to weather. So whether this is desired
depends on the size of the crew, whether the guy choosing the jobs
will be doing the jobs, age/condition of the electrician especially if
he's working alone, etc. etc..
Sometimes a service change means working on a roof top. If that
roof is steep, metal, and covered with snow......well, you get the
picture. Sometimes a nice warm bathroom reno is just what one
wants.
P&L
Old 02-25-2017, 05:57 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2

Quote:
Hi everyone!

Thank you very much!!

1) any work that requires going swimming in the attic or crawl space

2) Service upgrades / panel changes

3)a: indecisive customers
3)b: filthy / crowded / smelly work environment
3)c: by far the worst is getting called in to fix someone else's half-ass work ( this could also be one of my favorite things to do because it is so easy to leave a good impression and this could lead to more profitable work)

4) Homeowners are tending to look into ways to save a buck on their energy costs and so they are investing in LED lighting, solar and small scale wind power generation, and also generator installs for when the power does go out.

5) I'm most afraid of causing property damage and / or injury to someone else in the residential market anyways. In the commercial and industrial markets the number one fear is arc flash.

If you are looking into entering the trade, you are doing the research right, too many guys I know jumped in because they thought electricians had a cush job. That ain't the case my friend! There simply isn't a building trade that is easy. Check out some of the stats on how many electricians are injured in the U.S. on a daily basis, how many leave the trade for retirement every year and how many are entering the trade every year. That aught to give you some good information to put into your report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Patriot1776 is offline   Reply With Quote