8ga Aluminum Oven Wire vs 8ga Copper Wire? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By daveEM
  • 4 Post By emtnut
  • 1 Post By theJcK
  • 1 Post By NC Plc
Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 22
Default 8ga Aluminum Oven Wire vs 8ga Copper Wire?

I came across a home today that I think is 8ga aluminum wire but I can't read the jacket. I had some 8ga copper wire with me and the copper wire is much smaller. In older homes did they use 6ga aluminum wire for an oven circuit and can I connect aluminum to copper for a splice to extend the wire?
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016, 08:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 36

Yes they did. I would use a split bolt with the divider in it (I can't recall what its actual term) or a Polaris lug.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service Call View Post
Yes they did. I would use a split bolt with the divider in it (I can't recall what its actual term) or a Polaris lug.
I agree but is it safe to just box it and use a big blue wire nut?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #4
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by savatreatabvr View Post
I agree but is it safe to just box it and use a big blue wire nut?
I duno. Is the big blue nut approved for that?

Hint...
emtnut likes this.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveEM View Post
I duno. Is the big blue nut approved for that?

Hint...
I think it is in my neighborhood!
Old 01-12-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
Band Member

Rewards Points: 2,262

Quote:
I think it is in my neighborhood!
Do you have a lot of these in your neighborhood ?

Attached Images

Last edited by emtnut; 01-12-2016 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:40 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtnut View Post
Do you have a lot of these in your neighborhood ?

It was a joke! :vs_lol: Next question, how am I going to insulate a polaris lug in a metal box? No, not using tape.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 725

Quote:
It was a joke! :vs_lol: Next question, how am I going to insulate a polaris lug in a metal box? No, not using tape.
Properly sized heat-shrink insulation, 2 layers. I would use friction tape covered with Super33+ myself. You're an Electrician?

Last edited by danhasenauer; 01-12-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 256

They make insulated polaris lugs. Make sure you bond and terminate correctly. Do they make big purple wirenuts?
Voltron likes this.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #10
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 19,265

Home depot sells inline connectors for #6 and #8 that are rated al/cu. Set screws tighten to secure the connection, however the unit is not insulated so you have to use tape to make it proper. Ten half wraps should about do it.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 7,888

I like al-cu split bolts and I haven't had one fail yet, I've put them on a couple dozen motors.
danhasenauer likes this.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:07 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhasenauer View Post
Properly sized heat-shrink insulation, 2 layers. I would use friction tape covered with Super33+ myself. You're an Electrician?
Im not an electrician, I'm a systems tech with 110v knowledge that's why I thought I'd ask questions before installing 220v.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:26 AM   #13
Senior Moment

Rewards Points: 725

Quote:
Im not an electrician, I'm a systems tech with 110v knowledge that's why I thought I'd ask questions before installing 220v.
Good idea. If you know an Electrician in your area, you may want to have him check your work. There is a hella lot more liability at stake when you get over 24v.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:32 AM   #14
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 54

Quote:
Oh boy!
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2016, 02:16 AM   #15
Registered Member

[QUOTE=danhasenauer;2507937]Good idea. If you know an Electrician in your area, you may want to have him check your work. There is a hella lot more liability at stake when you get over 24v.

This is not meant in a derogatory way but I fully understand the dangers involved! I joined this forum to socialize people with similar interest and to get answers from actual electricians before I started pulling wire, not to be criticized and poked fun at. I'll try YouTube for information on this subject.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:35 AM   #16
Very Long Vacation

Rewards Points: 5,262

Quote:

110 and 220 volts dont exist in the US.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadow For This Useful Post:
JW Splicer (01-15-2016), TheWireNut (01-13-2016)
Old 01-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #17
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

[quote=savatreatabvr;2507985]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhasenauer View Post
Good idea. If you know an Electrician in your area, you may want to have him check your work. There is a hella lot more liability at stake when you get over 24v.

This is not meant in a derogatory way but I fully understand the dangers involved! I joined this forum to socialize people with similar interest and to get answers from actual electricians before I started pulling wire, not to be criticized and poked fun at. I'll try YouTube for information on this subject.
Why is a "systems tech" working on electrical in a house you "came across"?
Old 01-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,034

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Closed Thread