Is AC home run feeder or branch circuit? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 01-22-2015, 06:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 132
Default Is AC home run feeder or branch circuit?

Stupid random thought... If a feeder differs from a branch circuit in that it is between the main OCPD and downstream OCPD, would an AC condenser with its own disconnect be on a feeder?

I don't have a lot of experience wiring ACs but it seems like the disconnect is just a breaker, right?
dielectricunion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 06:31 AM   #2
Very Long Vacation

Rewards Points: 5,262

The disconnect is a disconnect, but even with an OCPD its function is still a disconnect... ok thinking about this you make a really valid question
meadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 06:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14,714

If the disconnect has OCP (not one of those breakers that does not have OCP), then by definition, the circuit from the panel to the disconnect is a feeder.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hardworkingstiff For This Useful Post:
Awg-Dawg (01-22-2015), chicken steve (01-22-2015), pete87 (01-22-2015), Pharon (01-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2015, 07:08 AM   #4
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

From art 100>, it would appear your AC may qualify as 'Branch Circuit, Individual' Dielectric...

Quote:
Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equip-
ment, the source of a separately derived system, or other
power supply source and the final branch-circuit overcur-
rent device.
Quote:
Branch Circuit. The circuit conductors between the final
overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).

Quote:
Branch Circuit, Appliance. A branch circuit that supplies
energy to one or more outlets to which appliances are to be
connected and that has no permanently connected lumi-
naires that are not a part of an appliance.
Quote:
Branch Circuit, General-Purpose. A branch circuit that
supplies two or more receptacles or outlets for lighting and
appliances.
Quote:
Branch Circuit, Individual. A branch circuit that supplies
only one utilization equipment.
Quote:
Branch Circuit, Multiwire. A branch circuit that consists
of two or more ungrounded conductors that have a voltage
between them, and a grounded conductor that has equal
voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor of the
circuit and that is connected to the neutral or grounded
conductor of the system.
~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chicken steve For This Useful Post:
51360 (01-22-2015), meadow (01-22-2015), Pharon (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 07:12 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 64

Yes, I wote a proposal for this because it makes no sense that a circuit to an a/c is a feeder in one case and a branch circuit in another. We'll see what they say.

When I brought this up at our yearly state meeting in Raleigh the cmp member agreed that technically it was a feeder when overcurrent protective device is installed in the disconnect but it should be treated as a branch circuit. That, of course , is his opinion. I happen to agree
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
Yes, I wote a proposal for this because it makes no sense that a circuit to an a/c is a feeder in one case and a branch circuit in another. We'll see what they say.

When I brought this up at our yearly state meeting in Raleigh the cmp member agreed that technically it was a feeder when overcurrent protective device is installed in the disconnect but it should be treated as a branch circuit. That, of course , is his opinion. I happen to agree
What is different if the conductor from the panel to disconnect is a "feeder" vs a "branch circuit"?
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:36 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,464

Charlie said it well but I thought a feeder fed another panel and a branch circuit came from a panel to an outlet or other point of use like an a/c unit.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Charlie said it well but I thought a feeder fed another panel and a branch circuit came from a panel to an outlet or other point of use like an a/c unit.
"a feeder fed another panel"

Kinda true, but what defines a panel? An AC disconnect with an OCPD is essentially a 2 space panel.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumped For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
"a feeder fed another panel"

Kinda true, but what defines a panel? An AC disconnect with an OCPD is essentially a 2 space panel.
I don't agree on that one. I would call that a service disconnect fed by a branch circuit.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 866

It's not a panel, but if it's fused it is the "final branch-circuit overcurrent device." That makes it a feeder by the Article 100 definition CS posted above.
Pharon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pharon For This Useful Post:
chicken steve (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 08:00 PM   #11

Ok, I can see that but not at the residential level. If I run a 480 volt circuit to a 3 Ø 60 amp disconnect and fuse down for a compressor, I'd call that circuit a feeder. Same,but different.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 866

Which would you call a feeder? From the panel to the fused disconnect or from the disconnect to the compressor? The first is a feeder, the latter is a branch circuit. The definitions are the same for commercial and residential.
Pharon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pharon For This Useful Post:
Awg-Dawg (01-22-2015)
Old 01-22-2015, 08:11 PM   #13
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
I don't agree on that one. I would call that a service disconnect fed by a branch circuit.
If it's got an OCPD in it, it's more than just a disconnect.

Would you agree with this:

If I take a 12-2 and run it to a junction box and splice 2 other 12-2 cables onto it, it's a branch circuit.

If I then replace that junction box with a 2-space panel or an AC disconnect with an OCPD, that 12-2 now becomes a feeder.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote