AC Troubleshooter - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 08-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 4,023
Default AC Troubleshooter

Had a customer needing AC repair which I gave to my friend. Turns out to be a nightmare intermittent low voltage control problem. The original board was burned, and had an oversized 10A fuse in it. Installed a new board, and it would blow the 5A fuses every 4-5 hrs.

Long story short, the original LV wire to the compressor had the problem. He replaced the wire, but told me the original wire on the contactor coil was using only one wire from the board, and the other side of the coil was from the metal frame ??? Using the metal as a neutral, but the voltage is only 24V from a different source ??? Odd how that even worked ?
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,969

If the transformer had a grounded secondary and one side of the board was connected to the ungrounded conductor the other side of the board was grounded, it would work.
Bad Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bad Electrician For This Useful Post:
dronai (08-10-2014), guest (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #3
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Electrician View Post
If the transformer had a grounded secondary and one side of the board was connected to the ungrounded conductor the other side of the board was grounded, it would work.
AC voltage though and at a different voltage So the secondary of the LV transformer would not be grounded right ? So how could it get back to it's source ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,969

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai View Post
AC voltage though and at a different voltage So the secondary of the LV transformer would not be grounded right ? So how could it get back to it's source ?
It had to be grounded either intentionally or accidentally.
Bad Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bad Electrician For This Useful Post:
dronai (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

You know that single conductor circuit can't work, so follow your instincts. Get an ohmmeter and start ringing out paths to ground. If they're using the equipment frame as a return that complete circuit has to be there somewhere.

Is one side of the secondary hard grounded?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always wear your gloves.
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:
Bad Electrician (08-10-2014), dronai (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 10:12 PM   #6
Premium Member

YeahBad, has to be grounded. I didn't think those really small control transformers were internally grounded on the secondary is all.

Big John, We finished yesterday, I was just pondering
Old 08-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,900

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai View Post
YeahBad, has to be grounded. I didn't think those really small control transformers were internally grounded on the secondary is all.

Big John, We finished yesterday, I was just pondering
They aren't internally grounded. Someone had to jump one lead to ground.
8V71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8V71 For This Useful Post:
dronai (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,900

Like if they grounded the conductor at the transformer in the air handler the path would be to the main panel and then out to the condensing unit. It could/would also travel through the copper refrigerant lines between both units.
8V71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #9
Premium Member

I bet the trick of using the metal frame is a last ditch effort when you lose all but one conductor in your control wires to the compressor. Over 150' away, it was a real PIA to run. We just ran a temporary across the roofs of these condos to test if this was the problem.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #10
Circumcised Member

Rewards Points: 250

Carrier, Rheem and their associated brands have grounded secondaries on their control transformers in the air handlers.
idontknow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idontknow For This Useful Post:
Big John (08-11-2014), Bonnette13 (08-12-2014), dronai (08-11-2014), mgraw (08-11-2014)