Adding 200 amp service for AC - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree31Likes

Old 11-02-2019, 12:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8
Default Adding 200 amp service for AC

I just want to double check this is done properly. It hasn't got inspected yet.

The reason for the upgrade is for an addition of a split central air conditioner.

The house had a 100 amp panel inside with no main disconnect. There was a 100 amp disconnect coming off of the meter.

The electrician removed the 100 amp disconnect and added a 200 amp exterior panel. The condenser circuit and air handler circuit are run from the exterior panel.

He used a feed through exterior panel. I asked him about not having a main breaker and was told that the 200 amp breaker acts as the main. I thought he would use a subfeed breaker. I thought there would be a 100 amp breaker in the panel feeding the old main panel.

The second issue was that the old panel only had the 240 with a bare ground. A dedicated neutral is not run to the old panel.
TwoBits likes this.
fronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 03:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 392

https://www.electriciantalk.com/f34/...3/#post4956801
Wardenclyffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 03:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

\
I am a licensed HVAC contractor in Florida, and I'm currently studying plumbing and electrical.
fronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2019, 08:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,015

He's not DIYing, he clearly had an electrician do it. He is asking Pro's about if it's done right. @Cricket this is the type of thing that I think we should have a section for.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:10 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 13,457

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
He's not DIYing, he clearly had an electrician do it. He is asking Pro's about if it's done right. @Cricket this is the type of thing that I think we should have a section for.
I disagree. It opens the door for clowns.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #6
RSE Master Electrician

Rewards Points: 954

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
I disagree. It opens the door for clowns.
I agree with 99.

The DIY sister site is full of actual electricians who want to help DIY’rs and others like the OP.

Many of the guys there are or used to be members here actually
Old 11-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
I agree with 99.

The DIY sister site is full of actual electricians who want to help DIY’rs and others like the OP.

Many of the guys there are or used to be members here actually
That site is for DIY, the OPs issue does not apply. There are very few pros over there, most threads are filled with DIYers acting like they know something. This site is for pros and where people should come to ask pros questions.
micromind likes this.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
That site is for DIY, the OPs issue does not apply. There are very few pros over there, most threads are filled with DIYers acting like they know something. This site is for pros and where people should come to ask pros questions.
There are many people with questions exactly like the OP over there, and there are many actual electricians who used to be here, just with new user names.

If you want to help out people like the OP, maybe you should open an account there too?
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
MTW

Rewards Points: 9,960

Quote:

MTW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,654

I am allowing it as I agree with Hax...If you don't want to help then just ignore the post.

The feed to the indoor panel should have a 100 amp breaker- assuming the wire size is correct.... It may need a 90 amp breaker. It cannot be feed from the 200 amp main feed thru lugs. Even if the wiring is sized for 200 amps the panel must also be 200 amps.
micromind and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:32 AM   #11

Quote:
There are many people with questions exactly like the OP over there, and there are many actual electricians who used to be here, just with new user names.

If you want to help out people like the OP, maybe you should open an account there too?
That is a DIY website.

The OP is not DIYing.

His questions do not belong there.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
That is a DIY website.

The OP is not DIYing.

His questions do not belong there.
The problem I see is many DIY’rs will tell you they had an electrician do the work but they didn’t, they did it themselves.

And really, who are you helping here? Not the contractor.

I would be laughing pretty hard if a customer came to me and said that some random person on an Internet forum told them I didn’t do the job correctly.
Kevin_Essiambre and kb1jb1 like this.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:41 AM   #13

Quote:
The problem I see is many DIY’rs will tell you they had an electrician do the work but they didn’t, they did it themselves.
And that is easy to pick out.

Quote:
I disagree. I think it is helping the contractors, homeowners, and general public. I think educating the customers as to how to deal with contractors and what is acceptable will help everyone. Such as the other thread going on right now in which a homeowner is asking about hiring a contractor.

Quote:
I would be laughing pretty hard if a customer came to me and said that some random person on an Internet forum told them I didn’t do the job correctly.
We are not here to defend a single contractor. As Dennis said, the OPs contractor did it wrong. Getting confirmation of that from Pros (not DIYers) is valuable.
micromind likes this.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:42 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,654

Quote:

Anyone can sign up and say they are an electrician... Some things are beyond our control. As far as I am concerned I will generally take the poster at their word. It seems like he is sincere and quite correct about his assessment. I doubt he would be assessing himself.
Dennis Alwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #15

Storytime.

About 2 weeks ago I got a call from a woman who asked my hourly rate, I told her that I do not charge by the hour, I charge by the job. She said that she had a real easy job, it should only take an hour or two, so I asked her to describe it and I can probably give her a price over the phone.

She told me that she had 2 outlets on the kitchen counter that she wanted moved, she wanted them gone completely and new outlets put in different spots. There is a finished basement below. She also wanted to add 1 outlet in 2 bedrooms upstairs. After asking some questions I found that above the bedrooms was an attic with flooring down and the walls were plaster with wood lath.

I explained to her that 1-2 hours was completely off and it would be a full day job. She didn't seem to want to hear it so I told her that I was too busy to get to it anyway just to get rid of her.

This type of mentality is what a lot of the homeowners have, they see huge jobs being done in 21 minutes on TV and think it's easy and quick.

So using this forum as a place to help educate customers can be good for the industry as a whole.
Kevin_Essiambre, kb1jb1 and Zeus88 like this.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:53 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
Anyone can sign up and say they are an electrician... Some things are beyond our control. As far as I am concerned I will generally take the poster at their word. It seems like he is sincere and quite correct about his assessment. I doubt he would be assessing himself.
It would take the Admin a matter of minutes to

A) Setup a subforum for homeowners to ask the pro's questions.
B) Make a Usergroup "Homeowners" that yourself and the other mods can assign to homeowners that would restrict them to only posting in the Homeowner subforum. This way the mods wouldn't have to go around closing threads, they would just assign them the usergroup.
samgregger likes this.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:

I've only been here a short time but already I've seen questions exactly like the OP posted here.

BTW, I'm actually a Taxi driver and lied on my profile when I signed up.

I agree with Hack, a section for questions that are not DIY would be OK. I suspect it might be tough to moderate and some strict stipulations for content would have to be in place.

But the owner of the site is boss and if it's not to be, I'm OK with that too.
joe-nwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:55 AM   #18
RSE Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe-nwt View Post
I've only been here a short time but already I've seen questions exactly like the OP posted here.

I have been here a very long time and have seen this site get worse and worse. Many good members have left.
Opening it up to non professionals is not a good direction IMO

Go to the electrical section of the DIY site and read a few threads. You will recognized many members and see threads exactly like this one.

I say we keep this site for the professionals.
dronai likes this.
Old 11-02-2019, 12:00 PM   #19
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,717

Well, when I signed up here , I claimed to be an Orthodontist. What do you think about that? People here have given me much wonderful advice about electrical work in the ten or twelve years. Hardly any have discussed with me the problem of removing incisor's first before bracing in order to reduce the overbite.

I stand neutral ! No, wait. I agree with Hax !
Drudge Report
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:30 PM   #20

Quote:
I have been here a very long time and have seen this site get worse and worse. Many good members have left.
Opening it up to non professionals is not a good direction IMO

Go to the electrical section of the DIY site and read a few threads. You will recognized many members and see threads exactly like this one.

I say we keep this site for the professionals.
You wouldn’t be opening up the site. You would be opening up one sub forum. One of which that you could simply not click on if you don’t want to see it.
Easy likes this.