air cylinder indicator lights - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default air cylinder indicator lights

I need to install indicator lights on a control panel to show when the air cylinder is fully extended and when it's fully retracted. It's in a class 2 enviroment. I was thinking of using 24VAC indicator lamps on the panel but what would you guys recommend for the sensing/switching at the cylinder?
Landmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,032

Check to see if the existing cylinders have magnetic pistons, if not retrofit with ones that do and use cylinder position switches.

One of the style switches available from bimba

Last edited by Jlarson; 10-03-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Jlarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
DGFVT

Rewards Points: 172

Most brands of air cylinders have an option of a magnetic piston and you would attach magmatic reed switchs to the outside of the cylinder. Then use the switches for whatever you want.
ace24wright (10-04-2012), greenman (10-04-2012), John Valdes (10-04-2012), Landmark (10-03-2012), nolabama (10-04-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 127

I do not think you need to have a magnet for certain types of Prox switches.

Carlo Gavazzi makes Photoeyes that are used in car wash applications that may work also, as long as it is not too dusty

Last edited by Pearce Services; 10-03-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Pearce Services is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pearce Services For This Useful Post:
greenman (10-04-2012), Landmark (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #5

[quote=Jlarson;824238]Check to see if the existing cylinders have magnetic pistons, if not retrofit with ones that do and use cylinder position switches.

I didn't know there were magnectic pistons. I'll have to check what they have.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:45 PM   #6
etb

Rewards Points: 250

Depending on application, could also use a prox on whatever the piston is moving, or they make class 2 limit switches.
etb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
TTW

Rewards Points: 163

Many air cylinders have sensors as an option and many I have come across already have mounting arrangements built in or T-slots machined for sensors already in the housing.
TTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 698

They have some cool stuff.
https://www.gavazzionline.com/CGLRC.asp
https://www.gavazzionline.com/CGLRC....hw=FoRlYlzzYD0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearce Services View Post
I do not think you need to have a magnet for certain types of Prox switches.

Carlo Gavazzi makes Photoeyes that are used in car wash applications that may work also, as long as it is not too dusty
“We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”THE NUCLEAR ELECTRICIAN
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:07 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 698

what make of cylinder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmark View Post
I need to install indicator lights on a control panel to show when the air cylinder is fully extended and when it's fully retracted. It's in a class 2 enviroment. I was thinking of using 24VAC indicator lamps on the panel but what would you guys recommend for the sensing/switching at the cylinder?
“We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”THE NUCLEAR ELECTRICIAN
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
what make of cylinder?
Don't know what brand they are.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
DGFVT

Rewards Points: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmark View Post
Don't know what brand they are.
take a picture of it and post it......we like pictures.

Also take some metal filings and put it on the outside of the cylinder and stroke the cylinder back and forth a couple time. If the piston is magnetic the metal filings will move.

Last edited by John; 10-04-2012 at 12:18 PM.
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,110

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Also take some metal filings and put it on the outside of the cylinder and stroke the cylinder back and forth a couple time. If the piston is magnetic the metal filings will move.
Fricken brilliant! I've never thought of that! I've always use a magnet on a string, but it's hard to determine sometimes if the magnet is moving from the piston magnet or from my shaky hand.

Just to be clear on the concept, the ENTIRE piston shaft is not magnetic, the piston shaft HAS a magnetic ring attached to it, specifically for this purpose. You can also get sensors, called "magnetostrictive transducers", that will give you an analog output based on the exact piston movement length. Much more expensive of course, but the basic low cost system is to just use the magnetic pickups for End-of-Stroke position.

A lot of actuator pistons will have this built-in even if you didn't ask for it. Sometimes I've even discovered that if you ask, they just charge you more for it but if you don't ask for it, you get it anyway because they don't really build two different versions, they just have two different part numbers. The filings trick is a great way to find out!.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 38

1 way cylinder with spring return. Switch at on position(retracted).
Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #14
Licensed Journeyman

Rewards Points: 2,028

the reed switch thing mentioned above is the hot ticket
Old 10-05-2012, 12:16 PM   #15
Now, one of the old guys!

Rewards Points: 107

We use the hall effect type of switches on our cylinders for the most part. It does take the right type of cylinder to make them work. The mechanical guys are always replacing defective cylinders with the non sensing tpyes then we get called because nothing will work. I have also fastened a small piece of steel to the object that moves and use a standard non-shielded prox. switch.
gesparky221 is offline   Reply With Quote