Aluminum pigtails in the panel? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By dcwired

Old 07-12-2016, 06:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,292
Default Aluminum pigtails in the panel?

I was wondering do you guys pigtail aluminum wire in the panel as well as the devices or just at the devices? I'm installing a new Square D QO panel. Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
carryyourbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #2
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,609

No, never. The breakers are rated for AL and that type of lug connection is solid.
99cents, BababooeyHTJ and Majewski like this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:32 PM   #3
zac

Rewards Points: 818

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
No, never. The breakers are rated for AL and that type of lug connection is solid.
I've had home inspectors write that in their reports. " aluminum on breaker is a violation "!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I've had home inspectors write that in their reports. " aluminum on breaker is a violation "!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Yeah, I've also seen them say that 2 wires on a breaker is a violation. Right up until I pulled the breaker out and showed him where it said 1 or 2 Cu or Al conductors.
zac likes this.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:44 PM   #5

Quote:

What about to the neutral/ground bar?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by carryyourbooks View Post
What about to the neutral/ground bar?
That's rated for aluminum too.

As far as I know, a lug type of connection was never an issue with aluminum, only looping screw connections.
Majewski likes this.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #7

Quote:
That's rated for aluminum too.

As far as I know, a lug type of connection was never an issue with aluminum, only looping screw connections.
On a side note, if that is the case, why do home inpsectors always want antioxidant on the main wire terminations? If they are, in fact, rated AL?

Old 07-12-2016, 08:08 PM   #8
Mensa Player

Quote:
On a side note, if that is the case, why do home inpsectors always want antioxidant on the main wire terminations? If they are, in fact, rated AL?
I'm not trying to sound like a wiseass when I say this, but who cares what a home inspector wants? The kid stocking the shelves at the super market knows more about electrical code than home inspectors.

Code doesn't require it.

Square D is a pain when trying to find info, so here is a Siemens spec sheet. You'll see at the bottom how every panel allows CU or AL on all the the lugs, bars, and breakers.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...a43cfec9aa.pdf
Majewski likes this.

Last edited by HackWork; 07-12-2016 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:35 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm not trying to sound like a wiseass when I say this, but who cares what a home inspector wants? The kid stocking the shelves at the super market knows more about electrical code than home inspectors.

Code doesn't require it.

Square D is a pain when trying to find info, so here is a Siemens spec sheet. You'll see at the bottom how every panel allows CU or AL on all the the lugs, bars, and breakers.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdf...a43cfec9aa.pdf
No, I get it. But since Square D is copper plated with tin, wouldn't that be dissimilar metals?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
Mensa Player

Quote:
No, I get it. But since Square D is copper plated with tin, wouldn't that be dissimilar metals?
Much smarter people then me say it's ok to do, who I am to question it?

I am really not following where you are going here. Are you suggesting that only tin wire should be used with Square D panels due to dissimilar metal issues?
Old 07-12-2016, 10:17 PM   #11
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 620

almost any mfg has a cross section of metal in there now. al bars with steel screws, al screws with al lugs, both rated for cu and al?

i like neat! just doesnt always happen
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:18 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 40

To my best memory, only QO breakers are made for 2 wires.
electricguy likes this.
dcwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #13
corn-fused

Rewards Points: 620

well, there are others. homeline is one . there are others. too tired to think hard right know.

i like neat! just doesnt always happen
papaotis is offline   Reply With Quote