Aluminum wire nuts - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By drspec
  • 1 Post By drspec
  • 1 Post By sbrn33

Old 05-29-2017, 10:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,114
Default Aluminum wire nuts

This is one of the reasons why I use Alumiconns or Polaris taps instead.
I do believe in this case it was user error and they're not rated for the size of wire they were used on.
Attached Thumbnails
Aluminum wire nuts-img_20170525_171134023_1496112148575.jpg  

Navyguy likes this.
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Is that #8 alum conductor ???
Old 05-29-2017, 10:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,114

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
Is that #8 alum conductor ???

yeah some idiot spliced #8 al to #10 cu

there were 2 splices in the panel and this is the only one that failed
frenchelectrican likes this.
drspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Daymm that is fruitcake for sure .,,

sound like someone have no sense of that at all..

I would never use those purple wirenuts at all.. I never like it too much at all
Old 05-29-2017, 11:40 PM   #5
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

I guess I should give up on my old ways of a wire nut with noalox in it if even the purple ones are failing.

Alumiconn rep actually told me the other day major insurance companies will write fire policies again for houses with aluminum wiring if you replace all of the joints with alumiconns. Anyone done anything like that to get a house eligible for coverage?
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 11:56 PM   #6
Big nosed attic troll

Rewards Points: 2,774

Ugh. I don't use Polaris enough to memorize but...for that size, wouldn't that have been the better option?
Old 05-30-2017, 12:38 AM   #7
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

The Alumicons are just soooo expensive. I did an aluminum job not long ago. I replaced all the devices with CO/ALR and had to use Alumicons on GFCIs. Some existing splices I didn't touch had regular wirenuts, but I checked a few and they seem to be holding up well. If the conductors have a nice twist with each other and don't rely on the wirenut for continuity, I think they should be fine.

I made it perfectly clear in the proposal that I wouldn't take responsibility for any splices or taps that I didn't repair or didn't know existed. Of course only the judge will know how far that will cover
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 02:09 AM   #8
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,277

It's outrageous to show a purple 65 with a #8 in it and then semi sort of imply that purple 65's are problematic.

The astronauts on the Challenger were pictured wearing orange jump suits and the ship blue up , that just shows how awful orange jump suits on astronauts are. (may have been blue jump suits but I digress.....)

Shame on you spec, this rates right up there with my tr gfi wet dream.

Last edited by macmikeman; 05-30-2017 at 02:15 AM.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 4,030

I think there are too many documented cases of the purple wire nut failing.

Here is just one such report http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&u act=8&ved=0ahUKEwjotr6OhZjUAhVq7oMKHbR0Ah8QFggvMAI &url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kinginnovation.com%2Fpics%2F db%2Fdocs%2F253-ReducingFire.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGrwfOe5Iv1jZkfbgpHSrTVY 7DYpg

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:34 PM   #10
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,277

amp propaganda.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,276

I have seen a lot of tans and reds burnt up also. Should we quit using them?
Bird dog likes this.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #12

Duplicate post...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
amp propaganda.
It may very well be, and don't really care. If there were many reports that alumicons were failing I would say the same thing. I tend to use the ACS brown #63 / #65 connectors vice the Alumicon simply for the price and in some cases box fill requirements.

Ultimately I try to convince the client to use AL rated devices so I don't have to use any of the stuff and deal with box fill issues.

Cheers
John

Old 05-30-2017, 12:55 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 142

I've seen a few wire nuts burn up like that here and there. I'm also not a huge fan when just electrical tape is used.
AlmostPro is offline   Reply With Quote