Am i missing something here? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Member
 
Bob_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 61
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Just browsing the net and found this.

"How Do Electrical Circuits Work At Home?

Electrical circuits are simply paths through which electricity flows. Electrical circuits can be open loop, which means the electricity goes only in one direction and does not come back to the source through the circuit, or closed loop, which means that the electrical current rotates around the loop and goes back to its point of origin."

http://www.superpages.com/supertips/circuits.html
Bob_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #2
I own stock in FotoMat!
 
480sparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Cornpatch USA
Posts: 39,118
Rewards Points: 6,520
Default

A poor description of DC and AC systems?
__________________
I'm 480Sparky, and I approved this message.
480sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 480sparky For This Useful Post:
Awg-Dawg (08-19-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
Member
 
Bob_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 61
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Unless I'm missing something Superpages needs a fact checker.
Bob_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
animal lover /rat bastard
 
wildleg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: somewhere in FL
Posts: 13,547
Rewards Points: 1,038
Default

while a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing, an explanation by a person with a little bit of knowledge from a different part of the world can even be more dangerous.
__________________
this message was sent from a dental floss farm using ZappaTalk and a pair of zirconium encrusted tweasers
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wildleg For This Useful Post:
BuzzKill (08-20-2012)
Old 08-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Member
 
Bob_B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: California
Posts: 61
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Yeah. Just one of the reasons why the internet can be a dangerous place. A good reason to always check the references. Any idiot with a computer can put up whatever they want and claim it's a fact.
Bob_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
Wire Ninja
 
MDShunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Beautiful Cumberland Valley, in PA
Posts: 20,984
Rewards Points: 6,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
Yeah. Just one of the reasons why the internet can be a dangerous place. A good reason to always check the references. Any idiot with a computer can put up whatever they want and claim it's a fact.
It's just filler text for search engines to latch onto. It is what it is.
__________________
One reason not to give DIY advice:
Catch a man a fish and you can sell it to him.
Teach a man to fish and you’ve ruined a good business opportunity.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:24 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Semi-Ret Electrician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 3,109
Rewards Points: 486
Default

"at times you can overload your circuits by plugging too many things in on one circuit or trying to request too much power from the given circuit at that time. If this is the case, your circuit breaker will cut off the power to the particular circuit or circuits in question by breaking the circuit or severing the connection, preventing power from going to all of the items on that circuit"

Can you say hack?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
Mad Skills
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,803
Rewards Points: 2,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
Just browsing the net and found this.

"How Do Electrical Circuits Work At Home?

Electrical circuits are simply paths through which electricity flows. Electrical circuits can be open loop, which means the electricity goes only in one direction and does not come back to the source through the circuit, or closed loop, which means that the electrical current rotates around the loop and goes back to its point of origin."

http://www.superpages.com/supertips/circuits.html


Its the interweb
__________________
póg mo thóin
Celtic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Celtic For This Useful Post:
BuzzKill (08-20-2012), chicken steve (08-20-2012), sstlouis03 (08-20-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Thanks for pointing out that this article has errors in it. I'm the editor responsible for all of our articles on Superpages.com and some of my writers are better at fact-checking than others.

I'm going to pull this article and have it rewritten so there aren't any incorrect statements in it.

Thanks again and keep up the great dialogue!
MarionJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Semi-Ret Electrician's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 3,109
Rewards Points: 486
Default

Good to have you come here. Most electricians would gladly read over such an article for technical errors or "mis-statements".
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 625
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionJ
Thanks for pointing out that this article has errors in it. I'm the editor responsible for all of our articles on Superpages.com and some of my writers are better at fact-checking than others.

I'm going to pull this article and have it rewritten so there aren't any incorrect statements in it.

Thanks again and keep up the great dialogue!
Finally an editor who actually cares about more then Site traffic. I think some here like the above poster said would be more then happy to check facts
Cujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

You guys are great, thanks so much for the offer to correct facts. I'm having the article re-written and before I post it, I'll check back here with you and take you up on that offer!
MarionJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Mad Skills
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,803
Rewards Points: 2,050
Default

It would be nice if the fact checkers here got paid...or should we just write articles so that we can get paid ~ regardless of accuracy?
__________________
póg mo thóin
Celtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

All my writers are paid. If we decide to add to our library of Electrician articles I would definitely invite your group to apply
MarionJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Mad Skills
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,803
Rewards Points: 2,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionJ View Post
You guys are great, thanks so much for the offer to correct facts. I'm having the article re-written and before I post it, I'll check back here with you and take you up on that offer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionJ View Post
All my writers are paid. If we decide to add to our library of Electrician articles I would definitely invite your group to apply

So we will do the proofreading/editing/fact correcting for free?

Awesome
__________________
póg mo thóin
Celtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #16
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Quote:
So we will do the proofreading/editing/fact correcting for free?
Unless I misread the earlier responses, a couple of people offered to fact check this one very brief article. I didn't solicit the offer. I proof and edit all of the work my writers submit. Sorry for the confusion!
MarionJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #17
Mad Skills
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,803
Rewards Points: 2,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarionJ View Post
Unless I misread the earlier responses, a couple of people offered to fact check this one very brief article. I didn't solicit the offer. I proof and edit all of the work my writers submit. Sorry for the confusion!

Wouldn't it be more effective to have these people write the papers?
__________________
póg mo thóin
Celtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #18
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

It's been my experience that the experts, like yourself, who know their subject inside and out are not always the best writers. And it's not possible for the good writers to be knowledgeable in every topic that's assigned to them.

Ideally, I'd love to have an expert electrician who is also a great writer provide the kind of content our readers are looking for. Unfortunately, I don't have any immediate plans to add to our library of Electrician articles, so I'm not looking to hire more writers.

But to be fair, I didn't come to your forum looking for free help. I posted here to thank you all for pointing out an article we had published that was factually incorrect.
MarionJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #19
Mad Skills
 
Celtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,803
Rewards Points: 2,050
Default

You would be amazed with what some these folks can do with a pen.
__________________
póg mo thóin
Celtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Haha! Why am I seeing MacGyver?
MarionJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Am I missing something? Dash Dingo NEC Code Forum 1 08-18-2012 04:45 PM
Am I missing something? Voltech General Electrical Discussion 25 03-10-2012 12:56 PM
Art 215.8 missing??? sparks134 NEC Code Forum 18 04-21-2010 09:28 PM
Am I missing something? Ray Cyr NEC Code Forum 11 11-05-2009 12:31 AM
What am I missing here? waco General Electrical Discussion 78 10-12-2009 10:59 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com