Amusement Park Electrician - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree24Likes

Old 08-02-2018, 07:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 792
Default Amusement Park Electrician

I was reading Moonshots post about pools, and that got me to thinking, do theme parks and amusement parks have a crew of maintenance and construction electricians? It would seem like that they would have to, probably afternoon or midnight turn though. I’m sure the equipment to run a park would amaze me and most of us also.
John Valdes likes this.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #2
Taco eating member

Rewards Points: 162

My understanding is that Yes, yes they do, but that if you want to get off graveyard you've got to wait your turn...which may be decades. That's the way Disneyland was described to me anyways. I know one guy who interviewed there from my trade school but I don't remember how far he got in the process. Not far enough to get hired since we worked together elsewhere later.

I personally cannot stand graveyard. Some people love it and God bless them.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
BrettC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,020

A friend went there years ago and said it was a great place to work. Most is night shift and everything is accesed from underground tunnels so you stay hidden from the public.
gpop is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,788

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettC View Post
My understanding is that Yes, yes they do, but that if you want to get off graveyard you've got to wait your turn...which may be decades. That's the way Disneyland was described to me anyways. I know one guy who interviewed there from my trade school but I don't remember how far he got in the process. Not far enough to get hired since we worked together elsewhere later.

I personally cannot stand graveyard. Some people love it and God bless them.

I cannot stand night time work either. We as humans were meant to sleep at night and work in the daytime. IMHO that is.
Not sure how Marc does this anymore. Gotta be tough especially if your coming off medical issues.

When I topped out at the RR, I went to the bottom of the seniority list. This was a bid for job type process. The jobs went up (bulletin board) and you bid on them. Seniority takes precedence.

Could be anywhere on the rail system. From Miami and up the east coast.
They had three shifts. 8 am to 4 pm. 4 pm to 12 am. Then 12 am to 8 am.
Problem was, the only shift I had enough seniority for was nights with Mon. and Tues. off.
Real nice for a guy in his mid twenties.
I would have expected to work these hours and days for years before I had an opportunity to work regular hours.
Like I said in an earlier post, had I stuck with this job (laid off in 1979) I would have had a great schedule and about $4500-$5500 a month in retirement benefits. I would be retired.

Young guys. Don't blow it. Get in with a good company. Join the 401K plan and put as much is allowed by the IRS. (Good companies match at a percentage, some match dollar for dollar).

If you are married have your partner do the same.
Save Save Save!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpop View Post
A friend went there years ago and said it was a great place to work. Most is night shift and everything is accessed from underground tunnels so you stay hidden from the public.

Sure it was. You work ****ty hours, you work nights and second shift which I hate even more.
But just imagine the things you would learn behind the scenes at Disney.
This is control, PLC, robotics and a thinking mans job. Get good here, you could go anywhere and make very good money.
This is cutting edge ****.

Might be good enough to feel good about getting up or getting ready for work.
Not sure about any pension plan. But a smart guy could make his own retirement income.
trentonmakes and 460 Delta like this.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 980

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
I was reading Moonshots post about pools, and that got me to thinking, do theme parks and amusement parks have a crew of maintenance and construction electricians? It would seem like that they would have to, probably afternoon or midnight turn though. Iím sure the equipment to run a park would amaze me and most of us also.
I know six flags in NJ had a complete Union crew.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Valdes View Post
I cannot stand night time work either. We as humans were meant to sleep at night and work in the daytime. IMHO that is.
Not sure how Marc does this anymore. Gotta be tough especially if your coming off medical issues.

When I topped out at the RR, I went to the bottom of the seniority list. This was a bid for job type process. The jobs went up (bulletin board) and you bid on them. Seniority takes precedence.

Could be anywhere on the rail system. From Miami and up the east coast.
They had three shifts. 8 am to 4 pm. 4 pm to 12 am. Then 12 am to 8 am.
Problem was, the only shift I had enough seniority for was nights with Mon. and Tues. off.
Real nice for a guy in his mid twenties.
I would have expected to work these hours and days for years before I had an opportunity to work regular hours.
Like I said in an earlier post, had I stuck with this job (laid off in 1979) I would have had a great schedule and about $4500-$5500 a month in retirement benefits. I would be retired.

Young guys. Don't blow it. Get in with a good company. Join the 401K plan and put as much is allowed by the IRS. (Good companies match at a percentage, some match dollar for dollar).

If you are married have your partner do the same.
Save Save Save!

Sure it was. You work ****ty hours, you work nights and second shift which I hate even more.
But just imagine the things you would learn behind the scenes at Disney.
This is control, PLC, robotics and a thinking mans job. Get good here, you could go anywhere and make very good money.
This is cutting edge ****.

Might be good enough to feel good about getting up or getting ready for work.
Not sure about any pension plan. But a smart guy could make his own retirement income.

I think I was built for 2nd and or 3rd shift.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:00 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,020

Working nights and shift never bothered me. Ive been stuck on day shift for probably 3 years now and i would happily go on shift to get a break from the managers. Always seems more melow on shift
MechanicalDVR likes this.
gpop is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gpop For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 7,520

When I was a teenager I worked at a travelling fair every summer. Not a little fair, this was huge, just not permanent, lasted only 10 days. I always wondered who did the electrical because it was scary. Mostly running off of big portable generators. Wires everywhere! I remember being told by my boss to not walk in the puddles! Oh the carny life!
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy current View Post
When I was a teenager I worked at a travelling fair every summer. Not a little fair, this was huge, just not permanent, lasted only 10 days. I always wondered who did the electrical because it was scary. Mostly running off of big portable generators. Wires everywhere! I remember being told by my boss to not walk in the puddles! Oh the carny life!
I love seeing those dry rotted SJ cords, especially like the ones 1 1/4" in diameter or larger.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:47 AM   #10
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,120

One of the best and most knowledgeable commercial construction posters on the forum was a carny electrician for a few years.
He left along with a few others when the forum became insanely political.
readydave8 likes this.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #11
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,649

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
One of the best and most knowledgeable commercial construction posters on the forum was a carny electrician for a few years.
He left along with a few others when the forum became insanely political.
Oh, okay.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:10 AM   #12
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
I love seeing those dry rotted SJ cords, especially like the ones 1 1/4" in diameter or larger.
I worked for World's Finest Shows here in Ontario 2 or 3 years ago. they're a traveling show, only in most spots for a week (Here in ottawa is one of the 2 week shows). Their moto is safety first. None of their cords for any of their stuff is SJ. It's not even SO. It's all type W cord! (Which is rated for mines... And can handle 2x the ampacity of SO for the same size of conductor!)

They have their own electricians. One for each show (there are 2 shows), and one at their shop that re-wires the rides. Besides the one electrician, there are 2 other people that know most of the electrical on the rides.

As far as power goes, it's all generators so it's just extension cords really... still needs an inspection at every different location.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
splatz likes this.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:18 PM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post
I worked for World's Finest Shows here in Ontario 2 or 3 years ago. they're a traveling show, only in most spots for a week (Here in ottawa is one of the 2 week shows). Their moto is safety first. None of their cords for any of their stuff is SJ. It's not even SO. It's all type W cord! (Which is rated for mines... And can handle 2x the ampacity of SO for the same size of conductor!)

They have their own electricians. One for each show (there are 2 shows), and one at their shop that re-wires the rides. Besides the one electrician, there are 2 other people that know most of the electrical on the rides.

As far as power goes, it's all generators so it's just extension cords really... still needs an inspection at every different location.

Sometimes in the states the inspections are just on paper or way to brief.

Being associated with a volunteer fire department I've seen some cords that got walked on repeatedly fail very badly.

Luckily I never saw anyone get shocked or electrocuted.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:52 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Essiambre View Post

Years back when I was in my early teens in 80 or 81, the small town I live in had a yearly festival that had a carny co that came in. My uncle was in the Lions club and they had a dunking booth for fund raising, they wanted to tap onto the carny gen set so they were told to go ahead and hook onto the bus work in that box over there, just get you some corndog sticks.
I looked in there and saw ALL the ride wires and trailers hooked to the bus bars by sticking the bare wire into a 1/4" or so hole with a round corndog stick wedged in the hole to secure the wires! I'm sure the fault current out of that buzzin dozen powered gen set was plenty for a real flash hazard.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:10 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,578

An old ET member Bob Badger, one knowledgable SOB was an electrician at an amusement park in Massachutes.

Bob was a solid poster and fair across the board, spoke his mind but all around decent guy in my opinion.
garfield (08-07-2018), Southeast Power (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 04:11 PM   #16
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
Years back when I was in my early teens in 80 or 81, the small town I live in had a yearly festival that had a carny co that came in. My uncle was in the Lions club and they had a dunking booth for fund raising, they wanted to tap onto the carny gen set so they were told to go ahead and hook onto the bus work in that box over there, just get you some corndog sticks.
I looked in there and saw ALL the ride wires and trailers hooked to the bus bars by sticking the bare wire into a 1/4" or so hole with a round corndog stick wedged in the hole to secure the wires! I'm sure the fault current out of that buzzin dozen powered gen set was plenty for a real flash hazard.
One of those times you need to stand back and admire all that Rube Goldberg engineering!
pjholguin likes this.

Old 08-03-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,296

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
An old ET member Bob Badger, one knowledgable SOB was an electrician at an amusement park in Massachutes.

Bob was a solid poster and fair across the board, spoke his mind but all around decent guy in my opinion.

The man is the greatest electrician to ever walk the face of the earth.
brian john likes this.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 477

I haven't see a post from him in quite a while @ MH's fourm. Been wondering about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
pjholguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:52 PM   #19
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
He could explain himself very well and could support his points with code sections. He helped me understand that non-Union electricians weren't all a bunch of knuckle dragging hacks.
Most but, not all.
Just a well rounded well experienced electrician.
Kinda like our US version of Marc, FrenchElectrirican
frenchelectrican likes this.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:01 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 3,998

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
He was also able to work the night shift as a clown.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote