Appliance Repair - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 4,407
Default Appliance Repair

Anyone out there try adding this trade to your menu ? I just fixed a dryer, by replacing a thermal fuse. $11.00 part.

Seems like most appliances are too cheap to replace now.
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572

Requires a separate license in these parts.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #3
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 4,407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
Requires a separate license in these parts.

You get many requests ? I only get a handfull a year, but always refer to a local place. I don't think you need a separate license here.
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
felonious smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai View Post
You get many requests ? I only get a handfull a year, but always refer to a local place. I don't think you need a separate license here.
Very rare, they usually replace out here with new.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

We did TV repair before flat screens took over had several motels as clients.if I were doing appliance repair still I would look at them for steady business most have several washers and dryers and want them to last forever
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 562

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai View Post
Anyone out there try adding this trade to your menu ? I just fixed a dryer, by replacing a thermal fuse. $11.00 part.

Seems like most appliances are too cheap to replace now.
At work I just recommend a local repair shop as I don't have the knowledge to repair them except basic. Now if its my own/families/close friends I will make the repair but that's it. I find it a good learning experience when I have to do them. Done a couple washers and dryers and for the most part its just a small part that costs under $50 so it's well worth it and I get a case of beer and dinner which makes it worth while.
CanadianSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Rewards Points: 300

I did it as a maintenance man, and do it now for people I know. It's almost a trade by itself. Advertising it as a service would mean you would need a pretty good-sized stock of parts for a lot of different brands.

Even though the parts are cheap, it's often time consuming to get to them. Given that and how disposable appliances are, it seems like it'd be a tough money-maker.

-John
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big John For This Useful Post:
76nemo (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
Bababoee

Rewards Points: 2,030

Ill do it for friends and family. Ive fixed fridges, ovens, ac condensors, window units, blenders, microwaves...
Old 06-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

I tell people to replace rather than repair.. fix it once you are even.. fix it twice and you are in the red compared to a new machine and what you already put into it..
The Following User Says Thank You to B4T For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (06-26-2012)
Old 06-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Bababoee

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
I tell people to replace rather than repair.. fix it once you are even.. fix it twice and you are in the red compared to a new machine and what you already put into it..
It depends though, on my fridge, the little fan that blows the cold air to the upper compartment went bad early, i ordered a new one and its been working fine for about three years now.. it was a 50 dollar part and the fridge cost about 1400..
My oven's thermostat went too, i replaced that for 90 bucks. Only this time when something else breaks on it, im gonna tell my wife, its done......so i can get a new range, a real one...
Old 06-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #11
B4T
Scotchkote Installer

Rewards Points: 15,378

Quote:
Originally Posted by captkirk View Post
It depends though, on my fridge, the little fan that blows the cold air to the upper compartment went bad early, i ordered a new one and its been working fine for about three years now.. it was a 50 dollar part and the fridge cost about 1400..
My oven's thermostat went too, i replaced that for 90 bucks. Only this time when something else breaks on it, im gonna tell my wife, its done......so i can get a new range, a real one...
I'm talking about doing it for a customer.. service call.. truck charge.. parts bill.. parts guarantee.. what do all those items add up to on say a (3) hour call.. round trip..
Old 06-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #12
felonious smile.

Last time I fixed a appliance it was the terminal block on a clothes dryer, removed and installed wirenuts. The call was over the dryer not working, electrically the line checked out fine. It's nice leaving the customer with a happy face.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
We did TV repair
If you call the DA's office number the end of his message is; "We don't repair TV's." This cracked me up, I have never been asked to repair a TV but I guess if you live in NC and your box craps out, call the electrician.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chris Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
Last time I fixed a appliance it was the terminal block on a clothes dryer, removed and installed wirenuts. The call was over the dryer not working, electrically the line checked out fine. It's nice leaving the customer with a happy face.
There goes the U.L. listing.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
If you call the DA's office number the end of his message is; "We don't repair TV's." This cracked me up, I have never been asked to repair a TV but I guess if you live in NC and your box craps out, call the electrician.
I don't get it, how did NC get into a post from someone in FL?
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 562

So my question is and not to start a heated debate but would you guys consider repairing a common appliance for a friend side work?
CanadianSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #17
Bababoee

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4T View Post
I'm talking about doing it for a customer.. service call.. truck charge.. parts bill.. parts guarantee.. what do all those items add up to on say a (3) hour call.. round trip..
I figured thats what you meant.. I personally wouldnt want to do it for customers. I mainly do it as a hobby.. If i cant fix it its no big whoop..
Old 06-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 4,560

Ive repaired a few apppliances, I charge just like I would regular service work, and NC doesnt require a license for appliance repairs. Its a good thing to be able to do, but too much stuff is easier to replace than repair, so this is really only something that comes around occasionally.