apprentice or journeyman questions - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 05-04-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
zen

Rewards Points: 506
Default apprentice or journeyman questions

i have noticed that on this web site if a question is asked by an apprentice and a journeyman should ,could ,would know the answer then often the answers come in the form of,,you should ask your journeyman...
i can only speak for me so, i ask because there are jmen who will tell you the 300.00 way to strap something is the only way and there is the jmen who will tell you the 59 cent caddy clip is code. at my company there are both types. i cant tell you how many times ive been told to do something a certain way and the jman insist its code, but never has time to show me the reference, usually its just cause they want it that way,,,
if this site isnt the place for an apprentice to be asking journeyman level questions then say the word ill move out........to all those who have helped me thanks...im an apprentice who should have already moved on to the jman club...
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zen For This Useful Post:
Cajuncurlycircuit (05-04-2014)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 06:52 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,410

They don't say that to all. Just some
Especially if they clearly haven't got a basic undetstanding of
The fundmemtals of electricity like ohms law.
They probably expect at least a basic understanding
As minimum requirements.
These things were taught in school as basic science.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmxtothemax For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #3
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,895

This is what I said elsewhere:

This forum has recently become dumbed down to the point where we are telling newbies how to wire a three way switch. Something is very wrong with that. An apprentice should be learning on the job under the supervision of a journeyman. If he can't learn from his co-workers then he is not serving a legitimate apprenticeship.

If an apprentice comes on here asking a lame question, we should be asking him why he isn't learning on the job. Chances are he is working for an illegitimate contractor, the apprentice/journeyman ratio is all screwed up or he is just in a bad work situation. We should be giving him career advice, not answering lame questions.

And if an apprentice comes on here asking for answers to questions on his school modules, ignore him. We're not here to do his homework for him. He needs to learn how to use his brain and the resources that are available to him. How is he going to function on the job? If he comes across a problem, is he just going to grab an answer off Electriciantalk on his cellphone?

Apprentices are the future of our trade but, if we keep feeding them baby food, they will never grow up.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,895

Zen, this is foremost a professional electrical contractor's forum. Some of the questions lately have been so dumb that I suspect home owners and handymen are masquerading as apprentices just to get information.

We have recently lost members whose knowledge and experience were valuable to this site. I don't know why they left but they seem to have been replaced by guys who don't even understand basic electricity. I don't want this site to get watered down to the lowest common denominator.

Apprentices come here looking for career advice and I'm good with that. The problem is that the same questions are posted so frequently that they should be covered off with a sticky or a separate Apprentices section. That has been discussed in other posts.

Finally, there are apprentices on this site who are smart, pay attention on the job, know their stuff and take the trade seriously. They are valuable to this site. We don't need a site full of grumpy old men.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #5
zen

Rewards Points: 506

i understand what u mean. it reminds me of going to home depot on a saturday hearing the same type of questions from a h.o. to the home depot guy. if it appears the question is coming from an electrician, i like to respond.......sometimes its easier to ask another electrician or forum for help and go back to work a little smarter than the day before
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
Electric Al

Rewards Points: 2,306

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
Zen, this is foremost a professional electrical contractor's forum. Some of the questions lately have been so dumb that I suspect home owners and handymen are masquerading as apprentices just to get information.

We have recently lost members whose knowledge and experience were valuable to this site. I don't know why they left but they seem to have been replaced by guys who don't even understand basic electricity. I don't want this site to get watered down to the lowest common denominator.

Apprentices come here looking for career advice and I'm good with that. The problem is that the same questions are posted so frequently that they should be covered off with a sticky or a separate Apprentices section. That has been discussed in other posts.

Finally, there are apprentices on this site who are smart, pay attention on the job, know their stuff and take the trade seriously. They are valuable to this site. We don't need a site full of grumpy old men.

I agree totally , and I am a Grumpy Old Man ! Name:  36_2_17.gif
Views: 127
Size:  48.6 KB

Steven Wright
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,592

A lot of the questions being asked, could be quickly answered if the OP did a quick Google search first, or a search of the forum. It's frustrating to see a simple question being posted, because the OP is too lazy to think on his/her own.
This trade requires some analytical thinking and spoon feeding answers, will not help aspiring apprentices. Troubleshooting should only be done by a forum as a last resort.
I believe that when a thoughtful question is asked, there are good answers. When someone is looking for homework to be done or answers to lame questions, the smart *** responses quickly follow.
You have to weed thru the crap responses to find the jewels.
A separate apprentice section, maybe divided into career advice, code questions and techniques would help.
As to different ways to install/troubleshoot, to each his own. I learned using materials and codes which were available many years ago. Times change, therefore new codes and products will dictate how something is done. I remember the first time one of my guys used tie wire instead of clips to secure some AC90. In my opinion, it looked like crap, but economics ruled .
This trade constantly changes, and some JMs have a had time adapting. Just wait till some young apprentice asks the old JM (you)"why can't we do 'fill in the blank' this way"
The Following User Says Thank You to wcord For This Useful Post: