Arc-Flash Studies - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8,986
Default Arc-Flash Studies

This will be the first 480v work, or larger commercial job, that I have done since the labeling has been required......well on my own anyway!

What are the requirements?

We will be installing a 208v transformer, stepping it up to 480v. Installing a disconnect for two pieces of equipment and then connecting them. To what extent will I be responsible for labeling the existing equipment and or the stuff we install. What information will I need? Is there software to purchase? Are there companies that we can sub this out to?
Thanks!
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

I'm unsure of what Calif would require Switch, here i've only been held to applying the generic arc flash sticker.

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,182

You should only be required to label it according to 110.16, which is just the generic label.

An arc flash coordination study should be the responsilibty of the customer, unless you were specifically contracted to do it as your scope of the project. If that is the case, you really need to sub this out to someone else that does it and is experienced in doing. It is not just a simple matter of buying the software for it and doing it.
eric7379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #4

I'll double check with some local guys, but that sounds good. I don't want to do the study. I would have just subbed it out.

Thanks!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Switch, you might want to check with your poco there.

they may have engineers that'll give you #'s to the point of attacthment for free

you might even be able to throw said #'s at the archy, and foist it off on him/her , if the project has one

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 709

what eric said. unless it is specified that an arc flash study be done you just slap a generic arc flash warning label on all equipment. lately i've just always put on every panel the voltage, panel name, arc flash warning, and source if its applicable. i've also been required to list available fault current at the MDP, this info is easy enough to get just call the poco
Old 03-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #7

Surprisingly the BO owns the property and has all the existing plans and specs for the building.

Most of the information, as far as the building goes, is on the plans. He has all the information from the Poco transformer to the building. All the equipment specs. etc......

Not something I was really wanting to get into, as we don't do it often enough to justify the costs. If it is an issue, we will spec. it out. There is no GC, just adding some electrical equipment.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 AM   #8
Zog

Rewards Points: 1,096

As mentioned above it is the responsibility of the owner, not the installer. Arc flash studies are not something to take lightly, I have $40k invested in software and in CA you need a PE stamp.

If they already have a study it is easy to modify it for another pice of equipment.
Zog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 77

Around here we've only been required to list the available fault current. As others have said the POCO will supply you with the info you need.
Colorado Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zog
As mentioned above it is the responsibility of the owner, not the installer. Arc flash studies are not something to take lightly, I have $40k invested in software and in CA you need a PE stamp.

If they already have a study it is easy to modify it for another pice of equipment.
Thanks for that bit of information! Like I said, not something I really wanted to have the responsibility for.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10

NFPA 70E 2012 requires the following information on arc flash labels:
  1. At least one of the following:
    • Available incident energy and the corresponding working distance
    • Minimum arc rating of clothing
    • Required level of PPE
    • Highest Hazard/Risk category (HRC) for the equipment
  2. Nominal system voltage
  3. Arc flash boundary
Determining the arc flash boundary requires an arc flash study. As stated above, this is the responsibility of the equipment owner.

I wrote an article about this, as well as what OSHA says about this, that is online here: http://www.graphicproducts.com/artic...-2012-osha.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
This will be the first 480v work, or larger commercial job, that I have done since the labeling has been required......well on my own anyway!

What are the requirements?

We will be installing a 208v transformer, stepping it up to 480v. Installing a disconnect for two pieces of equipment and then connecting them. To what extent will I be responsible for labeling the existing equipment and or the stuff we install. What information will I need? Is there software to purchase? Are there companies that we can sub this out to?
Thanks!
SteveHudgik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
I'll double check with some local guys, but that sounds good. I don't want to do the study. I would have just subbed it out.

Thanks!
We perform quite a few ARC Flash studies (we do all the field work) and sub the engineering out. It is always nice to make money on someone’s else’s labor.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john

We perform quite a few ARC Flash studies (we do all the field work) and sub the engineering out. It is always nice to make money on someone’s else’s labor.
I don't know that I would get enough of this type of work to justify the costs associated with doing it properly. Plus......I have read your posts, you have way more knowledge than I do!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 260

Only time you go beyond the required sticker, if the specs say so (arc flash study from the manf.)
electricalcj is offline   Reply With Quote