ASCO 920 Remote Switch - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By brian john
  • 1 Post By Cow
  • 1 Post By frenchelectrican
  • 2 Post By dronai

Old 10-02-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
Premium Member

Rewards Points: 4,177
Default ASCO 920 Remote Switch

Anyone out there have any experience with this power relay ? I can troubleshoot, and repair, just looking for someone who has actually worked on this dinosaur to save me a little time

Has 3 wire control, and a 30V reading on one of the terminals, as well as 120V on the other line control input.

Compared it to all of the working relays, and the small control 3-way looking toggle switches toggle the 120V across two of the three screws for on and off, and the third screw has a common of some sort that gets a reading from all voltages.

There is also a dozen pilot switches corresponding to which switch is on, and off
The color of the pilot switch wires is not going to the service room, and this is where I believe the transformers are giving the 30V for icecube relays that are not present, and located somewhere I haven't found yet

Look at the PDF I found online
https://www.vertivco.com/globalasset...r-brochure.pdf
dronai is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2017, 11:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,724

Worked on many 920's, what is your issue? Three wire control, center is common other two are one closes the switch the other opens the switch..
dronai likes this.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:33 AM   #3
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Worked on many 920's, what is your issue? Three wire control, center is common other two are one closes the switch the other opens the switch..
Why is there 30V on the input terminals ? Where is this getting dropped from 120V ?

Found a solution to just replace with a large 3 pole contactor, and lose the 30V leg, and use the 120V and switch the coil. Also have to see what voltage the pilot lights are not to damage if they are using the 30V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,724

What meter are you using? Did you check for ghost voltage which is what I suspect.

This switch is a electrical operated mechanical held contactor, your device driving the coil is 3-wire be it a relay or other device, simple open close, you have a power on and a power off..
dronai (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
Premium Member

Quote:
What meter are you using? Did you check for ghost voltage which is what I suspect.

This switch is a electrical operated mechanical held contactor, your device driving the coil is 3-wire be it a relay or other device, simple open close, you have a power on and a power off..

The PDF shows a 3-wire accessory, and that's what I thought I hadn't located yet.

. So maybe that's what I'm reading, a ghost voltage ?

Makes sense, if control power starts at the ASCO line input, and never makes it out of the other terminals to the remote switch. That 30V I'm reading at the remote switch is bogus

Thanks, will finish it today or tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #6
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,724

Quote:
Originally Posted by dronai View Post
So maybe that's what I'm reading, a ghost voltage ?
Everyone should keep a Knopp in their truck just for situations like this.

I don't use mine all the time since I have a Fluke T+Pro, but the Knopp still comes out of the truck every once in a while when I get screwy readings.
dronai likes this.
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #7
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cow View Post
Everyone should keep a Knopp in their truck just for situations like this.

I don't use mine all the time since I have a Fluke T+Pro, but the Knopp still comes out of the truck every once in a while when I get screwy readings.

You're right

The amount of control wires in the conduits, and pull cans is amazing. Probably that "Ghost Voltage" is induced from those.
Old 10-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #8
Premium Member

Quote:
Makes sense not to hold a coil for hours everyday. I've never used that type because of the cost
Old 10-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #9
Premium Member

Ghost Voltage Culpret, and the catch of the day
Attached Thumbnails
ASCO 920 Remote Switch-img_0707.jpg  

ASCO 920 Remote Switch-img_0704.jpg  

Old 10-03-2017, 08:56 PM   #10
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,782

Quote:
Ghost Voltage Culpret, and the catch of the day
buttugly spice box .,, it will be nicer if they put a termail strip to clean up that crap inside that box.,,
splatz likes this.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:00 PM   #11
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchelectrican View Post
buttugly spice box .,, it will be nicer if they put a termail strip to clean up that crap inside that box.,,
Yeah, that's some craftsmanship there. A well planned mess.

I agree, but a lot of the guys here prefer wirenuts
frenchelectrican and splatz like this.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:15 PM   #12
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,782

Quote:
Yeah, that's some craftsmanship there. A well planned mess.

I agree, but a lot of the guys here prefer wirenuts
then ya should send them the custerwhatever bill for their clusterwhatever mess they made in there.,,