Available Fault Current - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By FaultCurrent
  • 2 Post By micromind
  • 1 Post By telsa

Old 09-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Default Available Fault Current

Need help ASAP. With the situation in south Florida, FLP NOT able to compute a AFC letter and I need to build a commercial service quick. My question: I'm building a small 3ph service for irrigation. Feed from open Delta two transformer system. I'm going to compute the primary at infinite since FPL is on hurricane duty. How do I input the transformer data since the 3ph two transformer delta system nameplates are 1ph 120/240. Oh yes, if you are not familure with AFC calcs please don't answer. And don't need any advise on building the service. Thanks in advance
pfactor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 887

Most utilities use the infinite bus as the basis for the primary FC. Since you say you have an open delta setup - many utilities use this rule - Open Delta services have maximum fault currents equal to or less than single-phase services with the same transformer size and voltage. Use the single-phase table and the larger of the two transformers to identify the maximum secondary fault current.

This table works well. Answers are close enough.
This is the one I have bookmarked, I'm sure there are others:

http://www.ed3online.org/files/Const...012-06-05).pdf
brian john likes this.

Grandpa was old, and he was slow. But he got there.
FaultCurrent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,684

With an open ∆, each transformers contribution is independent of the other because they are connected to each other at only one end, not both. Therefore, the maximum available fault current will be the larger of the 2 transformers.

Divide the impedance by the full-load current and you'll have fault current.

Example, suppose the largest transformer is 50KVA, 240 volts and the impedance is 5.2%

50,000 240 = 208. 208 .052 = 4000 amps.
brian john and telsa like this.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25,908

This stuff is also to be found in Ugly's.

Pages 58-61.

All of the formulas are right there.
brian john likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote