Backfeed SubPanel Generator - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 75
Default Backfeed SubPanel Generator

A friend of mine asked me if he set a portable generator back at his 3 car garage 150 ft from his house (to keep sound down) and hooked up a manual transfer switch to sub-panel then backfed to main panel (locking out main breaker of course) would the sub panel now be a main panel and main panel now be a sub panel and what would/could happen ?
BytheBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
NJ-IEC

Rewards Points: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytheBook View Post
A friend of mine asked me if he set a portable generator back at his 3 car garage 150 ft from his house (to keep sound down) and hooked up a manual transfer switch to sub-panel then backfed to main panel (locking out main breaker of course) would the sub panel now be a main panel and main panel now be a sub panel and what would/could happen ?
You are not creating a separately derived system as long as you do not switch your grounded neutral connection to the utility supply. This means 4-wire out to the garage. If I were you i'd plan to run #8 AWG out to the inlet device at the garage. The cord from the generator is your means for disconnect. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by BytheBook View Post
No, you have to backfeed it into the main with an interlock so both breakers can't be on at the same time. Or put a main and interlock on the sub but you would only be able to power whats in the sub with generator power.
gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 75

i'm not sure I was totally clear. My friend is an electrician also and when power would go out he would be there and kill the main then backfeed his existing sub panel in garage which is wired correctly (4 wire) with isolated neutral. Him and myself are just wondering if there may be any ill effects during the outage sending return current backwards and reverse than the normal situation. Specifically, he was wondering if he needs to put the bonding strap from the isolated neutral to the ground bar in sub panel during the outage only then remove when he re-energizes service in normal direction ?
BytheBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,070

Troll
gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 709

Gfy cletis
Old 07-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 296

Your ground and neutral need to bounded. At generator usually.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,000

u can du dis!
FastFokker is offline   Reply With Quote