Ballast keeps blowing - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hardworkingstiff

Old 09-11-2017, 10:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 16
Default Ballast keeps blowing

So I have a 4-lamp t8 ballast instant start electronic ballast 120-277v with 4 bulbs connected, 2 in each fixture and have it wired right. Everything is fine then an hour later ballast popped and no longer works, 2 days later another ballast popped and started smoking, all connections good, supply is 120v can anyone shed some light as to what is causing this bulbs are F032/850/ECO 5000k sylvanias .
Attached Thumbnails
Ballast keeps blowing-img_0398_1505183212622.jpg  

Ballast keeps blowing-img_0397_1505183222913.jpg  

mrshawnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 138

Is it a shunted socket?

Texting and Driving
trentonmakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trentonmakes For This Useful Post:
dthurmond (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #3

Yes it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2017, 11:30 PM   #4
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,650

Are there a bunch of VFDs and/or other switching power supplies on the same service? Or even in the same area?

I had trouble like this in an industrial plant with just about every motor on a VFD and looked at the waveform with a scope. What a mess........no wonder they kept blowing.

We installed line reactors on some of the larger VFDs and the ballasts held up just fine.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to micromind For This Useful Post:
hardworkingstiff (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25,876

Open or shaky neutrals will smoke electronic ballasts.

I've seen PLENTY go south this way.

So double check your neutral return.

Incandescent lamps can take an open neutral for centuries -- and not be troubled.

Power electronics CAN'T.

They also can't stand feed-back coming back the wrong way... ie VFDs pumping the neutral with harmonics... how ever achieved. ( Cross talk, even. )
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses, I work in an industrial plant and never have come across this. I just did this for a favour for some family in his garage, I'll double check the neutral when I can, but for both to go like that one after another geez
Old 09-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 14,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshawnc View Post
Thanks for the responses, I work in an industrial plant and never have come across this. I just did this for a favour for some family in his garage, I'll double check the neutral when I can, but for both to go like that one after another geez
Hence the saying, no good deed goes unpunished,
telsa likes this.
Three vastly different enemies, but enemies who shared one common trait. ALL of them stifle free speech. All of them bully, degrade and terrorize those who hold opposing views and who peacefully express them. All of them are intolerant and demand “loyalty” to the leader. Michael Sand
hardworkingstiff is offline   Reply With Quote