Ballast Wiring - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree12Likes
  • 4 Post By Bird dog
  • 3 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 3 Post By just the cowboy

Old 02-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 88
Default Ballast Wiring

When wiring a 4-32 or 2-32 ballast does it matter if you put all same colored wires under the same wire nut as opposed to individually? I have done it both ways and they both work
maverick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 158

What does the wiring diagram on the ballast show? That's how you wire it.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #3
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 21,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick323 View Post
When wiring a 4-32 or 2-32 ballast does it matter if you put all same colored wires under the same wire nut as opposed to individually? I have done it both ways and they both work
Oui ou Non .,, ( Yes or No )

All it depending on the ballast connection diagram that you need to follow it to make sure it is working properly.

that is the only way it can save your butt if you follow the diagram posted on the ballast so if something go wrong you will know why quick.
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #4

https://a89b8e4143ca50438f09-7c1706b...pdf?1440182959

This is it. Why does it work when putting all reds together, all blues, all yellows? What are the damaging effects? Not lasting as long?
Old 02-03-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,959

I do those type like how it shows, - 6 wire nuts plus the three for line power. Charge em $35 per wire nut , should work out ok.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #6
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,667

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I do those type like how it shows, - 6 wire nuts plus the three for line power. Charge em $35 per wire nut , should work out ok.
(2) 5-port Lever Nuts and (4) LED replacement tubes.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #7

Quote:
I have seen it done 1 quick disconnect, 3 wire nuts, 1 for each color. What would be the issues if any?

I was doing a retro fit at a school and many were done like this, perhaps to save time/go faster.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #8
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
(2) 5-port Lever Nuts and (4) LED replacement tubes.

Who cares, just as long as the bill runs up over $200 for a ten minute change out.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #9
Senile Member

We are all shooting ourselves in the foot with the eagerness to put in LED tubes whether the customer requests them or not. If they don't specifically ask me to replace the fluorescent with LED, then I don't. I have been back to the same light fixtures two or three times, I recognize the house, and my handwriting in sharpie next to the ballast with the date of install. Re-occuring revenue.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 20

Why would you not wire 1 yellow to the blues (all wiires on 2 lamps to the blue with 1 yellow to all wires on the opposite end of the same 2 lamps)?
Same to the red. The manufacturer knows their own product better than anyone.
Wiredindallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #11
Senile Member

I actually have had to slow myself down a tad on a couple of ballast and lamp change outs. If you are out the door in under 5 minutes , they start questioning your billings. Even if it is an upfront flatrate. Don't do that. Always on site for at least ten minutes, check the panel labels or something, but be there for minimum ten minutes.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #12
Mensa Player

Quote:
We are all shooting ourselves in the foot with the eagerness to put in LED tubes whether the customer requests them or not. If they don't specifically ask me to replace the fluorescent with LED, then I don't. I have been back to the same light fixtures two or three times, I recognize the house, and my handwriting in sharpie next to the ballast with the date of install. Re-occuring revenue.
I would rather make the extra money now by selling them something of value than hope to make money in the future by changing bulbs and ballasts.

Retrofitting their lights with LED tubes can easily upsell to a much higher price then you could charge for changing bulbs and ballasts.
tmessner likes this.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:32 PM   #13
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I would rather make the extra money now by selling them something of value than hope to make money in the future by changing bulbs and ballasts.

Retrofitting their lights with LED tubes can easily upsell to a much higher price then you could charge for changing bulbs and ballasts.
I beg to differ. Most resi ones I have changed as of late, the owner hands me the lamps he bought from Lowe's. Even the grandma's and aunties are hip to them $8 Lowe's replacement LED tubes.
Old 02-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #14
Mensa Player

Quote:
I beg to differ. Most resi ones I have changed as of late, the owner hands me the lamps he bought from Lowe's. Even the grandma's and aunties are hip to them $8 Lowe's replacement LED tubes.
Not a single one of my customers have been. And I would’ve told them that I don’t warrantee the cheap ones from Home Depot so I might have to be back in a few years to replace it. That always changes their tunes. Plus, they’re paying for the labor of retrofitting their light fixture. If they are that hip that they don’t want to pay more than they would pay for a ballast or a bulb replacement, it’s time to move onto the next customer.
tmessner likes this.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2
Default Unless told follow the prints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick323 View Post

Unless you are told to, follow the prints. In this situation it worked, but what happens next time with a different manufacture? In this case the blues, reds and yellow are probably tied together in side the ballast. But if they are not and you did allot this way and they were separate windings you just overload them all, and when they burn out who is at fault.

Each red and each blue may be a separate winding, designed to carry it's own load.

Cowboy
Old 02-04-2019, 04:27 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:

True this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WorksOutOfaVan is offline   Reply With Quote