Band-aids or full out repairs? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 07-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,560
Default Band-aids or full out repairs?

Seems to me that not a whole lot of customers ever really want a problem with a big underlining issue fixed. Most likely, if you can repair something quick, fast, and on the cheap, youve won them over. Not that this would stop me from pointing out the real issue, but Im quicker to suggest the low cost solution with a short explaination on how this is only a temporary fix... but... - "I can have everything up and running in no time flat!"

Not that this is always the case, sometimes Im suprised when the "real fix" is what they want. But money is usually the deciding factor, and I'd rather make a little money and move on to the next job, than not make any money at all because the real fix is more than they are willing to pay. I dont see anything wrong with being proficient at quick-fixes, as long as it doesnt pose any danger to life, limb, or property and you add a disclaimer to your paperwork.

Im sure some here will disagree or question the cailaber of people that only want a fast, cheap, repair. What do you think? Better a little fast money - or - do it right or not at all?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
BBQ
Salty Member

Rewards Points: 2

As long as it meets code I have no problem doing as little or as much as they are willing to pay for.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #3
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
As long as it meets code I have no problem doing as little or as much as they are willing to pay for.
That pretty much sums up how I do things. I've added circuits to old fuse panels because the customer had no very little money to spend. Some would use scare tactics to insist on replacing the panel, or not doing the job at all.
user4818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

i think we've all gone on those backstabbed receptacle calls where we'll fix the offending device, and advise a whole facility retermination

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,464

I've gone on calls where people lost power and worried about paying.Did repairs and forgot to send them a bill,on purpose.
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bobelectric For This Useful Post:
360max (07-08-2012), B4T (07-08-2012), Semi-Ret Electrician (07-08-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
God-fearing Volt-head

Rewards Points: 536

It depends on the situation. One woman I know really does need an upgrade to her whole wiring (not my recommendation but that of several others including one whom I know has been an electrician longer than I've been alive) to be safe instead of just the fix she can afford.
) from date of post.
janagyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #7
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by janagyjr
It depends on the situation. One woman I know really does need an upgrade to her whole wiring (not my recommendation but that of several others including one whom I know has been an electrician longer than I've been alive) to be safe instead of just the fix she can afford.
That's an advantage of a good flat rate system it allows the tech in the field to offer different cost options from basic code compliant traits to compete upgrade
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,432

Quote:
Originally Posted by janagyjr View Post
Although I would feel sorry for her. This is the classic example of a person that cannot afford home ownership. She should be renting. Not all people should own homes. What happens when the furnace goes out or any other major ticket item?
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
God-fearing Volt-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
Although I would feel sorry for her. This is the classic example of a person that cannot afford home ownership. She should be renting. Not all people should own homes. What happens when the furnace goes out or any other major ticket item?
Can you afford a complete home rewiring on a single-income teacher's salary while still buying groceries, paying utilities, and making sure your medical bills are being paid? I feel for her, and would be even willing to do the job (with some experienced help) for materials cost only, if not for still getting chemotherapy treatments (which has me in the hospital more often now then before due to doctor accelerating treatment schedule).

What about you, what happens when something major goes wrong at your place that can't be paid for out of at hand expenses? Just go get another loan or mortgage? I'm sorry, but not everything is so cut and dry and not everyone wants to keep owing other people money.
) from date of post.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33

WOW that is some strange thinking.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #11
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

If customer cannot afford a proposed comprehensive repair.
We will offer to split job up, and complete over time when feasible.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
NJ-IEC

Rewards Points: 424

I think what we need is for the government to demand that everyone purchase electrical insurance. You know, so people can actually afford to make the repairs and penalize the ones who don't pay. Good idea?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
Lep
THE "BIG RED MACHINE"

Rewards Points: 2,927

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post
I think what we need is for the government to demand that everyone purchase electrical insurance. You know, so people can actually afford to make the repairs and penalize the ones who don't pay. Good idea?
Sounds good! You can even have I.R.S. in force codes.
"Internal Rewire Service"
Old 07-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,000

We offer multiple options ranging from the very best most permanent solution down to the smallest quick fix bandaid solution. It is time consuming but 80% will choose an option in the middle (which is still more $$ than the bandaid) and 10% will surprise the bejezus out of you and go for the top $ permanent solution. Joe Crisaro at contracor selling.com teaches this method. He insists on presenting 6 choices but that is not always practical for us. Offering options was a game changer for us. The first time someone selected the $11,000 solution when the bandaid was <$1000 we became converts and our sales have increased consistently since then.

We have learned not to pre judge people. Often the ones you think can afford it most opt for the cheapest solution while the old lady on a fixed income may opt for the 1st or 2nd most expensive solution. It helps to also be willing to do the work in stages, take payments (on a credit card) or offer financing. We were very pleasantly surprised and it enforced our belief that there are many many customers who do not make decisions based on price alone.
yrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
God-fearing Volt-head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica View Post

I hope you are joking.
) from date of post.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:39 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnettica
Obamalectric bill
yrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #17

Rewards Points: 594

What do you guys do in a situation where everything is hacked together, Like open splices in walls and a total hackjob. Everything you touch is all hacked up. Do you just fix what you find, knowing that there are still open splices in all the other walls, or do you just turn down the whole job?
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 4,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
What do you guys do in a situation where everything is hacked together, Like open splices in walls and a total hackjob. Everything you touch is all hacked up. Do you just fix what you find, knowing that there are still open splices in all the other walls, or do you just turn down the whole job?
DEPENDS GREATLY on what they want done. I try to make all my repairs to code, and as quick as possible. Some stuff is better left untouched, but if I think I can make a fast repair on something, I go for it.
janagyjr (07-09-2012)
Old 07-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 1,360

Options, options, options! Since I started giving multiple options on estimates, I have steadily won more profitable jobs.
RePhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy21 View Post
What I do really depends on what I see. If there are new cars in the driveway, ablebodied workers hanging out, beer/booze/drugs but no food for the kids etc. I price it like any other job.

If I see true need I try to help and put off the missionary trip..there's plenty of needy people around here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Semi-Ret Electrician For This Useful Post:
janagyjr (07-09-2012)