Basement Outlets - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Basement Outlets

It appears there is NO set code for the height of an electric box (outlet/switch) in basement. (Not really one for main floor either.) It seems 48" is pretty much standard but I've seen ranges from about 24" to 55". Also It appears current code in US is ALL outlets in basement MUST be on GFCI (with exception of sump pump which must be on single outlet on breaker by itself). (With codes pending requiring spark arrestors. (What a pain.) I have had to put my water softner and updated electronic control (gas) water heater (with circulating pump) on standard outlets as they keep blowing GFCI.

I certainly understand why you would want GFCI in basements that have damp floors etc (especially with bare feet). I have drain tiles running almost a foot below the basement grade (I live on a hill so all water drains, Although I have sump pumps built in they NEVER run!) I don't even need a dehumidifier (house was built in 2009) (also have radiant floor heat). What makes my "basement" any different than a bi-level, tri-level or for that matter a house build on a concrete slab? They probably have more of a damp floor than I have! (p.s. No carpet or tile, just epoxy paint.)
Thanks
Daryl
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 06:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,464

Unfinished basement,yes.Finished no gfi. Where are you going with this topic?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

What exactly is your question?

How high to put receps?

Whether GFCI's are required?

Why does your water softener and heater trip a GFCI?

Your lack of understanding thinking a dedicated single recep for a sump pump is exempt from GFCI requirements?
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Mad Skills

Rewards Points: 2,050

Your welcome
Awg-Dawg (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,024

Call an electrician.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deep Cover For This Useful Post:
The_Modifier (01-14-2013), Vintage Sounds (01-15-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Licensed Journeyman

Rewards Points: 2,028

Maybe
Old 01-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #7

What makes the difference if the basement is finished or not? FYI some is finished, some will have just painted walls but will have suspended ceilings.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #8

Height of outlets. I haven't found any codes on height for any floor. Just general guidlines. At 4 foot ok for basements? The why are bi-level, tri-level and slabs at normal height? What makes the difference?

Yes, Exactly where are GFI's required and where can I get by without them and why? Again consider bi-tri and slabs?

Water heater tripped from day one. Don't know why. Original builder (my house burnt down in 2008 and had to be re-built). They told me to switch out the GFIC to solve problem (I already had sump pumps and sewage ejectors on single outlets on the own dedicated circuit. Originally water heater and softner were on dedicated circuit but on GFIC.

After a couple years the water softner trips Gfci trips about once a month in the middle of flush cycle. This causes it to continue backflushing for hours (or days) until I find it and manually reset it. I have not removed the GFCI (leaving on single outlet on it;s own circuit with not problems.

My uncle was an electrical inspector for over 30 years and even made news headline in Chicago for discovering a grounding flaw in casablanca fans (wood block between fan body and light. It caused a national re-call. He advised me about single outlets on isolated circuits for items like sump/sewage ejectors, garbage disposals etc.
Thanks
Daryl
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #9
Buzzy304E

Rewards Points: 500

You are not really an electrician, are you?

should of......could of....would of.....might of?
The Following User Says Thank You to ibuzzard For This Useful Post:
glen1971 (01-15-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 4,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschw View Post
Height of outlets. I haven't found any codes on height for any floor. Just general guidlines. At 4 foot ok for basements? The why are bi-level, tri-level and slabs at normal height? What makes the difference?

Yes, Exactly where are GFI's required and where can I get by without them and why? Again consider bi-tri and slabs?

Water heater tripped from day one. Don't know why. Original builder (my house burnt down in 2008 and had to be re-built). They told me to switch out the GFIC to solve problem (I already had sump pumps and sewage ejectors on single outlets on the own dedicated circuit. Originally water heater and softner were on dedicated circuit but on GFIC.

After a couple years the water softner trips Gfci trips about once a month in the middle of flush cycle. This causes it to continue backflushing for hours (or days) until I find it and manually reset it. I have not removed the GFCI (leaving on single outlet on it;s own circuit with not problems.

My uncle was an electrical inspector for over 30 years and even made news headline in Chicago for discovering a grounding flaw in casablanca fans (wood block between fan body and light. It caused a national re-call. He advised me about single outlets on isolated circuits for items like sump/sewage ejectors, garbage disposals etc.
Thanks
Daryl
Removing a GFCI may "fix" the problem, but not really.. All you are doing is saying it is ok to live with a fault.. Proper troubleshooting will find the fault and help determine the necessary repairs..

Guessing your water softener has a seal that has failed.. This has caused water to migrate into the electrical somewhere and trips the GFI..

Not sure about the NEC, but I know the CEC has requirements for what fixtures need their own dedicated circuit due to their high demand... If I was to do a major reno on my house (or anyone else's for that matter) it would take me a day or two of reading to make sure I knew what was required for dedicated circuits, GFI placement/requirement, etc....
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #11
I own stock in FotoMat!

Rewards Points: 6,520

Quote:
.............He advised me about single outlets on isolated circuits for items like sump/sewage ejectors, garbage disposals etc.
Thanks
Daryl
Maybe 30 years ago.... but not now.

Quote:
What makes the difference if the basement is finished or not? FYI some is finished, some will have just painted walls but will have suspended ceilings.

You're more than welcome to submit a proposal to change the NEC.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,134

Is this a question or someone complaining about the NEC?
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 AM   #13
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

I'm guessing his heads really gonna blow up when he learns about afci's....~CS~
Old 01-15-2013, 07:19 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 804

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Tags
basement gfci, basement outlets