Becoming electrician - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 12-03-2016, 10:51 AM   #1

Default Becoming electrician

Thank you for all losing me to join the forum. I highly appreciate it and I also appreciate if I'm given a newbie break for lil while. Ya'll probably get tons of questions from aspirony electricians so don't mean to beat a deadhorse. But I truly am wanting to find as much info as possible. I will get straight to the point. I am 34 year old male that had career in public safety for over decade. That public safety career was derailed by a on the job injury. I have been trying to restart a new career path essentially now for last almost 2 years. Currently in property management but I'm also working part time as an electrician helper. I have realized I love being a electrician helper and I want to become a electrician. I want to establish my new career path in the electrical field. I live and work on alabama gulf Coast. I'd appreciate any and all advice on classes I should or need to attend to start working toward becoming a journeymen. Can I contact a local IBEW office and ask about attending electrical courses or should I also contact local community colleges about obtaining formal electrical education. I'm working as a electrician helper so I'm getting on the job training. But want to establish a more formal path of training. I want to make sure I
Put myself on the best path for success of becoming an electrician. Anyone have advice on schools, apprenticeship programs etc in the pensacola, mobile, gulf shores area? Any company I need to try and get a helper position with in particular that may offer a structured internal training prigram? My end goal is to end working in commercial/industrial electrician field preferably union and/or traveling electrian field or honestly dream job is to become a linemen. Thank you for any and all feedback. Since I am working already as a electrician helper what is best way to document my on job the hours as a helper?
westbeachsurfrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2016, 11:50 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,234

contact a local IBEW office
360max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 304

https://www.ibew505.org/

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2016, 05:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 427

Go to your local IBEW website and see what they tell you about joining as an apprentice, follow those directions exactly. It looks like Mech gave you a link above, but there might be other nearby locals to look into as well. You can apply to multiple locals, it's perfectly fine.

As far as recording hours, look into your state requirements. In my state we needed to record hours only to get the electrical contractor license. They have a form to download and have the license contractor that you work for sign and seal.
HackWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 486

You might also want to join the local IAEI (international Assn. of Electrical Inspectors).
Here in Birmingham we meet about two hours every 2 or 3 months.

They put on a great seminar with top instructors.

Taking a JC electrical course is inexpensive and the hours will count toward your license.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semi-Ret Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote