Blueprint reading - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By wildleg
  • 1 Post By splatz

Old 10-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Default Blueprint reading

Most of my experience with electrical drawings have been schematics for machinery, or one lines for the high voltage feeding the plant.
At my current job, I really need to understand the building construction drawings and how to follow them, which isn't always clear, so I am asking for a best resource, book, etc, that will give me a thorough explanation of all involved.
Any recommendations?
LarrywdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #2
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

I can't point you to a book, but if you have time to take a drafting class at a local school, I can tell you from experience that it helps immensely.
M.A.R likes this.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #3
LOCO 11

Rewards Points: 223

I took drafting in high school, i'm sure that helped me.
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2017, 01:14 AM   #4
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarrywdH View Post
Most of my experience with electrical drawings have been schematics for machinery, or one lines for the high voltage feeding the plant.
At my current job, I really need to understand the building construction drawings and how to follow them, which isn't always clear, so I am asking for a best resource, book, etc, that will give me a thorough explanation of all involved.
Any recommendations?
There are some book related to the drawing but the main moot is that over the years the books may change a bit .,,

Check your community collage or a large bookstore maybe they will have something on hand.,

Are you famuiar with blueprints drawings ? if so that is not super hard to tranalated it from schematics the only difference is that the blueprints will have demison number add to it.,

Just be aware of the scale drawing to the size of that location for smaller drawing typically 1/4 inch to 1 foot but there is a lot of other size is there so make sure you look for scaleing to make sure you are on right size. ( I am used to both inch and metric scaling )
Old 10-06-2017, 05:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25,884

Most of the schematics that you're destined to run across will be found in Ugly's.

It's available at EVERY supply house and at Amazon. (~$16)

The same schematics keep popping up -- over and over.

You might profit by purchasing a dated classic electrical engineering handbook like:

Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers
Fink and Beaty
McGraw Hill

These can be purchased for a song via Amazon or eBay.

Why ? Because they're ten to twenty-years old, that's why.

Why get an OLDER handbook ? 'Cause you're in an older installed environment.

Such texts will delightfully align with the symbols you're running into.

Many of the topics will be of dated and now abandoned electrical devices and techniques.

But these are still in use -- and you're the guy who is likely to run into them.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:19 AM   #6
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,028

I don't have it but there is a NJATC book titled "Blueprint Reading for Electricians" - the current 3rd edition is like $140 new and the 2004 1st edition used is $8.99 on amazon.

I don't know if I notice much different on electrical prints since 2004 so I wouldn't worry about buying the old one myself.
MikeFL likes this.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,274

Another publication you can look for online is NECA 100 Symbols for electrical construction drawings.

They are up to NECA 100-2013 now, but if you search you may find an older PDF version online. Since it is put out by NECA, they want to get paid for their publication. I have it somewhere due to an extensive online search. The book goes a lot deeper than just symbols.

Plan reading is all about moving freely between sheets to get to the information you need fast. Look at the cover page. It should have a drawing number convention example as well as a list of drawings in the sheet set. So looking at AR-103.A would be Architectural reflected ceiling plan for the third floor area A. Every number along the drawing number has a meaning. So E-203.A would be the power plan for the third floor area A, and E-303.B would be the lighting plan for the third floor area B.

As much as there should be a standard, there is no standard. Always check the cover page for drawing number convention and the symbols.

Also check the cover page for their examples of graphic symbols. This will show you how to find the sheets fast when you see section, elevation and detail callouts throughout the drawing.

Companies Like PlanGrid take the drawings when you upload them and Hyperlink the callouts. This makes it very fast to jump between sheets on an ipad.
Attached Thumbnails
Blueprint reading-callout.jpg  

Blueprint reading-drawing-convention.jpg  

cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote