Bonding a resi furnace - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Flyingsod
  • 1 Post By MechanicalDVR
  • 1 Post By PlugsAndLights
  • 1 Post By oldblue
  • 1 Post By sbrn33
  • 1 Post By Flyingsod

Old 08-30-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,585
Default Bonding a resi furnace

With a typical residential natural gas fired hot water furnace with a 120V feed, is it ok to bond the furnace simply by solidly screwing the electrical box to the metal furnace body?

ETA: Also there will be chase nipple connecting the box to the furnace.

Last edited by HackWork; 08-30-2016 at 12:00 PM.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HackWork For This Useful Post:
Tsmil (08-30-2016)
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 114

Off hand I can think of a reason not to. Bonding connections can serve no other purpose than bonding. Maybe screw the box on and then add another screw (that you have to colour green somehow) and claim it's only for bonding.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
Majewski likes this.
Flyingsod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
With a typical residential natural gas fired hot water furnace with a 120V feed, is it ok to bond the furnace simply by solidly screwing the electrical box to the metal furnace body?

With new HSI and spark ignition systems the biggest cause of problems with a furnace lockouts is improper or poor grounding. Check the installation specs as there should be a small section regarding this.
Majewski likes this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
Majewski (08-30-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2016, 09:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18

Quote:

Have to be careful not covering nameplate etc,

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
freefreeqaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #5
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

Any I've wired had integral wiring box with integral bonding screw
or grn insulated bonding tail. Bout the same as a D/W. Shouldn't
they all?
P&L
Majewski likes this.
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:48 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugsAndLights View Post
Any I've wired had integral wiring box with integral bonding screw
or grn insulated bonding tail. Bout the same as a D/W. Shouldn't
they all?
P&L
Depends, Weil McLain gives you a bag of parts and you supply the finesse in wiring. Some of the wall mounted boilers are much moire advanced.
Majewski likes this.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Depends, Weil McLain gives you a bag of parts and you supply the finesse in wiring. Some of the wall mounted boilers are much moire advanced.
Cast iron weil mclains don't count the whole damn thing has to be put together in the field.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
oldblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:22 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,276

If it is in conduit the entire way I don't see a problem with it. Probably can't use self tappers though. I would probably run a jumper from the box to the furnace ground screw.
Most of the time I just run a romex and sleeve it down to the furnace in EMT. If there is no ground or anything unrelated to the furnace is on the same circuit it gets a new circuit.
Have done 3 already this week haxer...
Majewski likes this.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:48 AM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
If it is in conduit the entire way I don't see a problem with it. Probably can't use self tappers though. I would probably run a jumper from the box to the furnace ground screw.
Most of the time I just run a romex and sleeve it down to the furnace in EMT. If there is no ground or anything unrelated to the furnace is on the same circuit it gets a new circuit.
Have done 3 already this week haxer...
You need an actual ground wire for any with advanced controls to work properly. Especially those with flame rectification.

Old 08-31-2016, 09:24 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,276

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
You need an actual ground wire for any with advanced controls to work properly. Especially those with flame rectification.
I thought that conduit was actually a better ground than a copper wire. Now I gotta go look for that study.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:38 AM   #11
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:
I thought that conduit was actually a better ground than a copper wire. Now I gotta go look for that study.
The study could be great to lab experiments but in the field, I've seen this problem countless times. "Intermittent ignition faults" have been a constant heating problem since the ignition systems using flame rectification have become popular. It can work a hundred times and then lock out leaving you without heat until someone comes and resets the power and themodule tries again, an works the next 95 times.

The following is from a fast google search. Similar articles can be found on all hvac sites and the vast majority are all 'ground' quality related.

IGNITION SYSTEM GROUNDING
Nuisance shut downs or no operation at all can be caused by a poor or
erratic ground connection.
1. From the ground (GND), usually green wire, terminal on the
module check for continuity to some portion of the boiler or
furnace. It is best to check on an unpainted and clean surface. The
gas pipe is a good point. YOU SHOULD HAYE CONTINUITY! !
Ifyou do not then you could experience erratic or no operation at
all.
a. It may be necessary to establish a good connection to
ground by using a wire with a clamp onto the gas line or
equipment chassis and connecting it to the ground terminal
of the module. All connections should be clean, unpainted
and good metal-to-metal contact. When you look at the
wiring diagram for the equipment and see this type of
symbol showing the use of a chassis ground be careful that
you have a good connection.

"Re: Carrier Ignition Lockout
Be sure that the furnace is grounded properly. The control board sends current through the flame sensor, which goes through the flame and then to ground. If the board is not grounded, the circuit will not be complete, and it will not know that the flame is lit and shut off the gas, causing a lockout."

The Following User Says Thank You to MechanicalDVR For This Useful Post:
sbrn33 (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #12

Quote:
In actual use I've never seen this to be the case. With the exception of rigid there's just too many shoddy splices in conduit. They may start out nice and tight but a couple dozen heat cycles later and maybe a little moisture for corrosion and the conduit system just isn't worth while as a ground. Mostly what I've seen is a few good clamps holding the conduit to grounded building metal closer to the device is what's making the ground. Anyone that's done service for awhile has seen plenty of conduit systems that have been pulled completely apart with only the conductor holding it up. Conduit as ground might look fine from an installers point of view but long term it's a bad call.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flyingsod For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,585

I don't know if the furnace came wired or if the plumber/HVAC guy did it.

The furnace had a 1900 box inside of it held to the body with an MC connector used as a nipple. A black and white wire were sticking out thru the MC connector. When I opened the 1900 box I found a ground clip on it. The black and white wire were coming directly from the transformer mounted to the 1900.

I removed the MC connector and used a chase nipple to hold a handybox to the outside and the 1900 inside. I also ran some zippies thru the boxes to hold them tighter.

I ran MC cable then sleeved it in EMT down to the handy box. I ran the MC's ground around a ground screw in the handybox, thru the nipple into the 1900, and then terminated it under the ground clip.

I wired the whites and the blacks up to the tranny and left.

So that's my concern, the ground ends at the boxes which are bonded to the body. But I didn't see any other ground lug or screw anywhere else.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:46 AM   #14
Old Grumpy Bastard

Quote:

The furnace had a 1900 box inside of it held to the body with an MC connector used as a nipple. A black and white wire were sticking out thru the MC connector. When I opened the 1900 box I found a ground clip on it. The black and white wire were coming directly from the transformer mounted to the 1900.

I removed the MC connector and used a chase nipple to hold a handybox to the outside and the 1900 inside. I also ran some zippies thru the boxes to hold them tighter.

I ran MC cable then sleeved it in EMT down to the handy box. I ran the MC's ground around a ground screw in the handybox, thru the nipple into the 1900, and then terminated it under the ground clip.

So that's my concern, the ground ends at the boxes which are bonded to the body. But I didn't see any other ground lug or screw anywhere else.
Sounds like you're good.
HackWork likes this.

Old 08-31-2016, 11:57 AM   #15

Quote:

Sounds like you are bonded with listed means. I personally don't trust ground clips but since they are listed...You are legal.

Bird dog likes this.