buck boost - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
flashover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 603
Posts: 136
Rewards Points: 121
Default buck boost

I dont understand something about an installment we are doing.

There is a refrigerated trailer we temped out for 208 3ph.

Something happen causing compressor to shut down, no tripped breaker, no blown fuse. But while reading voltage at the disco i read 196v.

We are now installing buck boost transformers to adjust for undervoltage to get the 208 at the disco, and compressor.

2 transformers in parallel for each of the 2 refrigerated trailers.

I dont understand how this works because the nameplate on the transformer say 120/208v primary, 12/24v secondary.

The wiring schematic says "boost"

Does this thing boost the voltage to 208, or am i gonna get 24 volts on the secondary?
flashover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE


Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
IBEW MEMBER
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: ARIZONA
Posts: 383
Rewards Points: 254
Default

So adjusting the taps is not a option?
fistofbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:44 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,219
Rewards Points: 2,950
Default

Yes, the nameplate is misleading. Just find the wiring schematic that matches your scenario and you will be fine. Call the tech support number if you have any questions. I have had good luck doing that when I wasn't sure about how many xfmrs to use and in what configuration to get what I wanted.
btharmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-01-2014, 10:10 PM   #4
Bilge Rat
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 6,583
Rewards Points: 2,776
Default

These transformers have isolated windings; the primary is not internally connected to the secondary.

In your case, you are connecting the two isolated windings in series. This will add the secondary voltage to the primary.

You can also reverse the polarity of the secondary and it will subtract the secondary from the primary.

These transformers will seem small for the load they carry, this is because the load current appears on the secondary, not the primary.

You can compute the formulas if you want, but in the vast majority of cases, if the load does not exceed the capacity of the secondary, you're good.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
Electron Pathway Engineer
 
The_Modifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: On cloud 9 in Ontario
Posts: 2,596
Rewards Points: 448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
These transformers have isolated windings; the primary is not internally connected to the secondary.

In your case, you are connecting the two isolated windings in series. This will add the secondary voltage to the primary.

You can also reverse the polarity of the secondary and it will subtract the secondary from the primary.

These transformers will seem small for the load they carry, this is because the load current appears on the secondary, not the primary.

You can compute the formulas if you want, but in the vast majority of cases, if the load does not exceed the capacity of the secondary, you're good.
Nicely said, couldn't have put it better myself.
__________________
Opportunities multiply as they are seized.

BRINGING RESPECT TO THE TRADES IS IMPERATIVE. DO YOUR PART!
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Modifier For This Useful Post:
micromind (07-01-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 2,888
Rewards Points: 2,410
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashover View Post
I dont understand something about an installment we are doing.

There is a refrigerated trailer we temped out for 208 3ph.

Something happen causing compressor to shut down, no tripped breaker, no blown fuse. But while reading voltage at the disco i read 196v.

We are now installing buck boost transformers to adjust for undervoltage to get the 208 at the disco, and compressor.

2 transformers in parallel for each of the 2 refrigerated trailers.

I dont understand how this works because the nameplate on the transformer say 120/208v primary, 12/24v secondary.

The wiring schematic says "boost"

Does this thing boost the voltage to 208, or am i gonna get 24 volts on the secondary?
Your clearly not understanding the concept of buck / boost !
Yes you will get 24v at the secondary BUT this is in series with
mains supply, so you can increase the voltage by 24v or decrease the voltage by 24v depending on the polarity of the 24v winding.
I suggest that you read up on how the buck / boost system works.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmxtothemax For This Useful Post:
Bad Electrician (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 08:26 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Bad Electrician's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: I Moved, VA
Posts: 4,154
Rewards Points: 4,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmxtothemax View Post
Your clearly not understanding the concept of buck / boost !
Yes you will get 24v at the secondary BUT this is in series with
mains supply, so you can increase the voltage by 24v or decrease the voltage by 24v depending on the polarity of the 24v winding.
I suggest that you read up on how the buck / boost system works.
http://www.solahevidutysales.com/buc...ansformers.htm

A decent site for a quick primer for the OP and PDF's for selecting the correct rating transformer
Bad Electrician is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buck n boost LegacyofTroy General Electrical Discussion 17 08-08-2013 07:59 AM
Buck boost TXR Surge03 General Electrical Discussion 26 07-24-2013 03:08 AM
buck boost garfield General Electrical Discussion 38 05-11-2012 08:32 AM
another buck boost TxElectrician General Electrical Discussion 7 04-16-2012 10:56 PM
Buck-Boost; Need Help!! Joe Momma General Electrical Discussion 13 05-19-2009 07:48 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PaintTalk.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com