Buck Boost Transformer - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Service Call

Old 09-27-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 32
Default Buck Boost Transformer

Can someone educate me on how to rate a Buck-Boost Transformer? I have a 15 amp 220 volt 1-phase machine fed with 208 volt. Customer wants full 220 volt. I initially rated the Buck-Boost Transformer for 3.3KVA ( IxE/1000). Supplier informed me that I only need a 1KVA maximum because I don't have to fully rate when the voltage only needs to boosted. I don't understand this.
2825mdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2825mdh1 View Post
Can someone educate me on how to rate a Buck-Boost Transformer? I have a 15 amp 220 volt 1-phase machine fed with 208 volt. Customer wants full 220 volt. I initially rated the Buck-Boost Transformer for 3.3KVA ( IxE/1000). Supplier informed me that I only need a 1KVA maximum because I don't have to fully rate when the voltage only needs to boosted. I don't understand this.
It is very simple to change voltage on buck/boost transformer because both secondary and primary useally connected in series but there is few differnt style of connection for B/B .

The reason why it is small because the secondary side will do most of the work to just increase or decrease voltage by small steps .

and I want to give you a heads up make sure you follow the connection diagram very carefull because each one is differnt style of connection I know it can be a headache on that.

and what type of brand of B/B you will plan to use because I have quite few listing of connection diagrams so I cant post all of it until I know what brand you will use and myself and few other members can help you on that.
2825mdh1 (09-28-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2825mdh1 View Post
230 V - 208 V = 22 V of boost. ( forget the talk about 220 V )

22 V x 15 A ( at full load, I presume ) = 330 VA

If the wire sizes are not too absurd, then even a 500 VA autoformer would be overkill.

Consult Ugly's for a suitable wiring diagram.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to telsa For This Useful Post:
2825mdh1 (09-28-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 28
Default Buck Boost Transformer

The reason it's small is cause you're only concern is the current on the boosted voltage. Which is 12 volts boosted and 15 amps. So you can actually use only a .250 KVA.
This from Square D. Although depending on the load you may want to upsize i.e. motor load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
frenchelectrican likes this.

Last edited by Service Call; 09-27-2016 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Added sentence
Service Call is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Service Call For This Useful Post:
2825mdh1 (09-28-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,684

The reason it can be small is because only the low voltage side of the transformer sees line current. The high voltage side sees only the small current needed to generate the low voltage side.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to micromind For This Useful Post:
2825mdh1 (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 09:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 32

I can see it now. Thank you to everyone who replied.
2825mdh1 is offline   Reply With Quote