Electrician Talk banner

build test bench

8K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  garfield 
#1 ·
I'm wanting to build a test bench. We currently use handheld meters for everything in our small electric repair shop. I'm thinking 5 different receptacle configurations with a 60 amp disconnect then a separate 20 amp circuit for the 20 amp 120 volt testing. We have 208Y120 I'm willing to spend a few hundred dollars not including labor. I know we could spend several thousand but what I'm looking for is an upgrade from....well nothing. My original thought was an analog ammeter then I thought well I bet there's someone with a better idea here.

#7 ·
I did something similar at a pawn shop for testing appliances. I used a 6' scrap of WM3000 and put one of every type of appliance receptacle in it. Fed it with two 1" conduits from the nearby panel.

#9 ·
I like the terminal block idea. We use a "widowmaker" cord...... terminal blocks would be better. Is it a particular product or just the ones you'd use inside an enclosure? Also where should I buy a digital ammeter setup with a ct? It'd be nice to have 3. Accuracy is not paramount as I basically need to know if it's running at or above fla most of the time. I guess what I'm saying is cheap will probably do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.