Electrician Talk banner

Bulk light order

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Stab&Shoot 
#1 ·
My customer that I'm doing the t5 relight for has asked me to bid their other warehouse also. I have already got a quote on 115 4 bulb cooper T5 w/ bulbs and 93 occ sensors. If I add the other warehouse to this total it will more than double the order. So my question is this- Should this get me a better rate per fixture? and occ sensors? My customer is very conservative and every dollar counts.

#7 ·
My customer that I'm doing the t5 relight for has asked me to bid their other warehouse also. I have already got a quote on 115 4 bulb cooper T5 w/ bulbs and 93 occ sensors. If I add the other warehouse to this total it will more than double the order. So my question is this- Should this get me a better rate per fixture? and occ sensors? My customer is very conservative and every dollar counts.
I doubt that the quantity would get a better price. If it did, I'd suggest putting the money in your account. You are doing the work, shoping for a better price. What is the customer doing besides intimidating you?

#9 ·
Actually this is my number one customer and has been for a few years. They are cutting check for lights directly to supply house. They have long established relationship with them as well. I will replace bulbs and ballasts for the life of the warranty for only a trip charge. I consider this a good tactic b/c it will give them a reason to call me out there. I never go there without them adding a "project" to my schedule. As I said- they are truly my best customers.

#12 ·
I would shop all of the supply houses, but for this order I would be speaking directly with the local reps to get your best price. Also, you can sometimes work a better rate on bulk packing by skid as there is less cardboard, less work at the factory and less work unpacking and disposing of packaging. It all boils down to more profit for the contractor.

#13 ·
If they are buying the fixtures I would make them shop around pricing, count the actual number of fixtures, figure shipping dates and locations, worry about the warranty and anything else having to do with the fixtures.
You can do this nicely but you shouldn't have anything to do with these fixtures if your not buying them.
Oh and I would go with 6 lighters or they will probably disappointed.

#14 ·
Due to the rebate, energy savings and conservative nature of the customer- I have decided to go with the 4 bulb fixture. I took a trade ally course with the local POCO that had an 'expert' on lighting from NC State that swears that by using a 5900-6500k bulb, we can reduce the total amount of light by nearly 20 %. The supply house is trying to talk me down to a 5k bulb saying that 5900 and up are "too blue looking". I am a man of science and want to at least use the 5900. Anyone relit using any of these colors? And also with the age and condition of the 400w MH, I am thinking that the 4 bulb t5 will not disappoint.

#16 ·
We are in the closing stages so it's a little late for that. I wrote the original report almost 8 months ago, which got the ball rolling on the whole deal. The quote I got was not itemised. But is as follows: 115 T5 HB, 93 occ sensors, 8 emergency ballasts, 115 center mounting brackets, 115 cooper wire guards. Sub total $22356.10. The emergency ballasts are about 1k. The occ sensors are $34. So that means the fixtures with hanging bracket and wire guards are $160 each. Seems a little high especially if I were to double that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.