Bus drop cable - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 12-11-2017, 07:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 180

Hey all, got into a new facility, taking over a partially completed project. A modular room was built inside for some equipment. 1st guy ran emt out of the 120 208 and the 277 480 panels up onto the beams into j boxes and than dropped down with bus drop cable. The 480 drop changes into emt as it enters the modular room. The 208 and 120 drops run through the drop ceiling as bus drop cable and.changes over before going down the wall. Strain reliefs on both ends. Was also planning to go disco to equip with bus drop. I have zero experience with bus drop cable. If I was guy 1, i would have done emt to the disco then fmc so now that I'm taking it over the job and it's permitted albeit small town inspector, is this a code complaint install ? It seems back to me it's not and I somewhat think the facility in house guy/s did this .

Last edited by WPNortheast; 12-11-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Error
WPNortheast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2017, 08:16 PM   #2

Hey bro no one answered you so I will take a shot at it.....
Read through 368.56 Branches from Busways (a),(b),& (c)
I saw this on another thread a while back and they referenced 400.7 and 400.8 as well. What type of facility is this? I believe it also has to do with strictly "Qualified Personel" having access to the cables. Hope this helps!
RigidRack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:19 PM   #3
Modérateur

Rewards Points: 16,782

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPNortheast View Post
Hey all, got into a new facility, taking over a partially completed project. A modular room was built inside for some equipment. 1st guy ran emt out of the 120 208 and the 277 480 panels up onto the beams into j boxes and than dropped down with bus drop cable. The 480 drop changes into emt as it enters the modular room. The 208 and 120 drops run through the drop ceiling as bus drop cable and.changes over before going down the wall. Strain reliefs on both ends. Was also planning to go disco to equip with bus drop. I have zero experience with bus drop cable. If I was guy 1, i would have done emt to the disco then fmc so now that I'm taking it over the job and it's permitted albeit small town inspector, is this a code complaint install ? It seems back to me it's not and I somewhat think the facility in house guy/s did this .

I look up in my code book and the sticky issue is the drop ceiling and what type of drop ceiling you are refering to it ?? grid type or funky one ?

IMO from my past experinces those drop cable should NOT run thru the drop ceiling unless you have JB on the ceiling tile.

those drop cord is SJOO type ? if so they should be ok for your area.

If this was a open ceiling then I would not blink my eyes on that. that is kinda common in some commercal / industrail area but only if they move the equiment around often then the drop cord will be fine. but for perament mounted units just run correct EMT or rigid drop and be done with it.
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2017, 06:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,594

Since the new room is a part of the building, you could not use flexible cable drops for power connections. This is referred to as "using temporary wiring methods for permanent wiring". No, you cannot run flexible cord through a ceiling.
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote