Calculating lumens per room - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 12:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,092
Default Calculating lumens per room

Just wondering how many people actually use lumen charts when doing lighting for rooms. I use a guide like this http://www.charlstonlights.com/led-l...ent-calculator
which determines lumens per square foot and type of room lights are installed in as well as a lay out scheme ie centered or in corners like recess lights but was curious if others use charts also or just wing it and put in dimmers if its too bright
bostonPedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,051

That's usually the architect's realm. We provide the VA/sq.ft., the "interior designer", or architect decide how to distribute it. Sometimes "we" do the designing by asking "you want the light, where"?
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
zap

Rewards Points: 1,040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonPedro View Post
Just wondering how many people actually use lumen charts when doing lighting for rooms. I use a guide like this http://www.charlstonlights.com/led-l...ent-calculator
which determines lumens per square foot and type of room lights are installed in as well as a lay out scheme ie centered or in corners like recess lights but was curious if others use charts also or just wing it and put in dimmers if its too bright
I use a chart for overall foot-candles per room type and then use the equal lighting formula to lay them out if the engineering doesn't already include it.
tates1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

Lumens are strange and whacked now with LEDs.

Foot candles will be the next norm I suspect.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 236

I've tried different apps, read tons of designer blogs and have installed hundreds of cans.

I go by my gut and my own experience nowadays.

The best info I've found is on the packaging or installation instructions. That funny looking lighting cone diagram that's full of info and a bit hard to take in.

I also prescribe to the theory that the brightness of a room is perceived by how bright the walls are. Down lights in the middle of a ceiling are task specific and aren't needed to "brighten" a room IMO.
Arrow3030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:44 PM   #6
Electrical Service Pro

Rewards Points: 62

Depends how many the customer wants to pay for each light.