california c10 lincense can pull a low voltage permit? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By telsa

Old 05-18-2019, 02:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 22
Default california c10 lincense can pull a low voltage permit?

low voltage guys at my job site were going to install the system this week but didn't come. the general contractor was upset and asked me to run wire and install speakers, cameras and network. I finished it today.

the problem is the inspector is going to check a permit in my area. I would like to know that I can pull a c7 permit with a c10 license

thank you
smilecow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2019, 02:40 PM   #2
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,261

The answer is yes.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8,940

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
The answer is yes.
Yes x2
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,788

Welcome to the forum smilecow.
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 7,049

never mind

Last edited by joebanana; 05-19-2019 at 07:27 PM.
joebanana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,049

A C-10 can install lovo, but a C-7 can't (isn't supposed to) install switchgear. How did you go from a "4th sem. student" to a C-10? Student of what?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25,876

He's working under someone else's C-10.

Every C-10 knows that he can work low voltage. It's the general license.
joebanana likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 62

Why do you need a permit to install low voltage? I understand it is a required license in many states, but what are they inspecting?

Datacom, installed as bad as possible, is never a hazard. Even if the speakers are 70v, I fail to see a hazard.

Cash grab.
mjbasford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 AM   #9
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,140

The inspectors in our jurisdiction look for cabling supported and not laying on ceiling grid or sprinkler/ other systems.
The look for plenum rated cables where required.
They look at firewall penetrations.
And, the rack has to be bonded.

Any unused cables have to be removed.

Those unlicensed, unpermitted, camera and data cables tossers can screw up a building pretty quick. We try to use a color that they don't have access to at Home Depot if we are getting inspected. For us, the wiring is the job, to them, the cables are incidental.
Southeast Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:44 PM   #10
MrO

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post

Those unlicensed, unpermitted, camera and data cables tossers can screw up a building pretty quick. We try to use a color that they don't have access to at Home Depot if we are getting inspected. For us, the wiring is the job, to them, the cables are incidental.

This sounds like most 1/2 watts in my neck of the woods. Come in throw their wires everywhere and leave a king sized mess of the job.
MrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:09 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 62

Interesting. All the things you mentioned are inspected here, but as part of building, no low voltage regulation at all. (Except security/fire)
mjbasford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:13 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 22

Actually, I have around 7yr experience in commercial and residential field but 2-3 years ago I started to attend a trade school for a degree and wanted to learn motor systems.
I don't have a c10 licence yet but my boss. My boss was not sure about the low voltage license b/c once we had got subcontract for installing data cables in hilton hotel. I am not sure who gc or inspector but they asked to see a c7 instread of c10.

actually the inspector didn't check any at this jobsite except the permit. However, they often check that we put wires thru emt these days so gc asked us to install emts
smilecow is offline   Reply With Quote