can anyone explain what is neutral grounding devces and its using? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bird dog
  • 2 Post By glen1971
  • 1 Post By triden

Old 08-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 540
Default can anyone explain what is neutral grounding devces and its using?

anyone knows it,
please give details and examples
mike883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #2
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,600

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike883 View Post
anyone knows it,
please give details and examples
Did you read what you typed before you posted?
Cow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,757

A screw.

Or a piece of wire.
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2017, 08:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,726

Rules 10-1100 to 10-1108 of the Canadian Electrical Code provide rules on installing neutral grounding devices (grounding resistors) used for the purpose of controlling the ground fault current or the voltage-to-ground of an alternating current electrical system. ... the ground fault current is 10 amperes or less; and.Sep 16, 2006

http://iaeimagazine.org/magazine/200...00-to-10-1108/
brian john likes this.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,376

English translation please ?

Grammer check crashed !

dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 09:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,790

From the 2015 CEC Handbook..

Impedance grounded three-phase, 3- and 4-wire systems

Many building systems and industrial processes require the advantages of both the ungrounded delta and the grounded wye systems. These advantages are
• continuity of service (no tripping of an overcurrent device) when a fault to ground occurs between one phase (line, ungrounded) conductor and ground;
• no damaging arcing or high fault currents flowing between the shorted phase and ground that could injure individuals working on the energized equipment when the fault occurs; and
• constant line-to-line voltage levels when single-phase loads are connected to the three-phase system and not balanced (equal load on each phase).
The most common type of low-voltage system that can provide these advantages is called the “impedance grounded system”. Such systems are also referred to as high-impedance (resistance) grounded systems because of the addition of a neutral grounding device (usually a resistor) in the grounding conductor of the transformer.

The impedance grounded system has the following advantages:
• the first fault to ground [between one phase (line, ungrounded) conductor and ground] will allow a maximum of 10 A of fault current to flow that should not cause the overcurrent device to trip (open);
• there will be no damaging arcing nor high fault currents flowing between the shorted phase and ground that could injure individuals working on the energized equipment when the fault occurs, because only an additional 10 A of fault current will flow; and
• the system’s grounding enables the line-to-line voltage levels to remain constant when single-phase loads are connected to the three-phase system and not balanced (i.e., there is not an equal load on each phase).

When a fault to ground occurs between one phase (line, ungrounded) conductor and ground, the fault current path back to the source is through the neutral grounding device (impedance). Because of this inserted impedance (resistance), the maximum fault current allowed to flow is 10 A [see Rule 10-1102(2)(a)]. This value is not high enough to open the overcurrent protective devices, and the circuit or installation remains energized. As with ungrounded systems, ground detection consisting of a visual and/or audible alarm is required to indicate clearly the presence of the ground fault to supervisory personnel [see Rule 10-1102(2)(b)]. Even if equipped with ground detection, the ground fault might not be investigated until scheduled maintenance is planned, which can be many weeks after the ground fault has occurred. During this time, if a different phase in another part of the system develops a fault to ground, a line-to-line voltage fault occurs. The magnitude of this fault current is higher that a line-to-ground fault and could cause damaging arcing and current flow that could damage equipment and injure personnel.
frenchelectrican and telsa like this.

Last edited by glen1971; 08-09-2017 at 09:42 PM.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to glen1971 For This Useful Post:
telsa (08-10-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 12:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,813

Does the being an electrician thing not apply to the great white northerners? I mean, cutting and pasting code handbook on rudimentary items...really?

Last edited by cuba_pete; 08-10-2017 at 12:38 AM.
cuba_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:28 AM   #8
Watt Pusher

Rewards Points: 466

Man mike883 is really on a tear today.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2017, 04:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 780

Very common in industrial settings such as PulpMills etc... where you don't want production to halt due to motor ground fault for instance ...all the MCC rooms had the RED light outside the doors.....mostly ON as I remember !
scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:28 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,790

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba_pete View Post
Does the being an electrician thing not apply to the great white northerners? I mean, cutting and pasting code handbook on rudimentary items...really?
The OP had a question on, from my take on it, NGR's how they work and why.
The copy and paste I provided explained it fairly well I thought. It was not from the Code Book, but it is an excerpt from the Handbook and provided quite a bit more info than just the code rules on it.. I figured for someone without the knowledge on NGR's this might help.. Did it miss any points?

And as for "rudimentary", I've met instructors when I did my apprenticeship that weren't 100% sure on how they worked or where they were used, so I was asked by a classmate to explain them for him and the class.. So not everyone is well versed in every aspect of our trade..

Last edited by glen1971; 08-10-2017 at 11:30 PM.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:20 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 360

Ground fault limits on my systems I work on is usually set to 5 Amps with a 65ohm resister and are continuously rated - meaning they can carry the fault forever. Resistors are usually made of stainless steel so that they don't corrode. I see them mostly at waste water treatment plants or where there are processes and need to continue operating if there is a ground fault present.

A ground fault notification system is always in place to alert operators of a fault condition. The NGR system can then send a pulse down the line that can be detected with a wand for help find the source of a ground fault. iGard is a common brand if you want to check out some NGR devices.
glen1971 likes this.

Last edited by triden; 08-11-2017 at 12:30 AM.
triden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:35 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,813

I'll leave it for the Canadians to sort then.