Can i du dis? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 02-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
felonious smile.

Rewards Points: 572
Default Can i du dis?

Installed new conduit run to refeed wall hvac units. Some units have heaters failing so i tapped a 120 volt receptacle from one of the 2pole feeds. I would have split wired the duplex but they are fed from a hi leg panel. Can i du dis?-uploadfromtaptalk1424030086480.jpg

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #2
IBEW L.U. 1852

Rewards Points: 286

Quote:
Can i du dis?

Looks like you already did.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,206

Draw that up and submit. Not sure what you have asked. Then mentioning high leg just further confused me.
Cl906um is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
felonious smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl219um View Post
Draw that up and submit. Not sure what you have asked. Then mentioning high leg just further confused me.
How is this?
three wire feed, black, orange and white. Orange and black wired to 240 single receptacle. Black tailed to feed 120 volt receptacle. Both are on the same 2 pole breaker. The reason is as the one pictured, the heating element on the hvac failed so portable oil filled heaters are used in liu of wall unit. The only concern i have is people plugging heavy draw items into the 120 volt receptacles while hvac is running.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
evil bastard

Rewards Points: 746

As long it is the right sized breaker, it won't hurt anything. If you got paid for two dedicated circuits, you kinda ripped them off.
mcclary's electrical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:16 PM   #6
IBEW L.U. 1852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockdoc View Post
How is this?
three wire feed, black, orange and white. Orange and black wired to 240 single receptacle. Black tailed to feed 120 volt receptacle. Both are on the same 2 pole breaker. The reason is as the one pictured, the heating element on the hvac failed so portable oil filled heaters are used in liu of wall unit. The only concern i have is people plugging heavy draw items into the 120 volt receptacles while hvac is running.
Its a valid concern.......so why do it at all? Hopefully they don't use heavy loads while the AC is on. In my own place I wouldn't hesitate to do it at all.

Was there a reason you couldn't get another hot leg through that pipe to feed the 120 volt receptacle?

Last edited by Rollie73; 02-15-2015 at 06:19 PM.
Rollie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #7

I think u can do dat.. Not even relying on a tap rule for that.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,464

Looks like Hell. Didn't you want to take time to fish in wall?
bobelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
felonious smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobelectric View Post
Looks like Hell. Didn't you want to take time to fish in wall?
Thr wall is furred on block which was soaking wet. When i removed the existing receptacle it was rotted #14 bx in a rotted shallow gem on a 20 amp ckt. I didn't feel like recessing a T11 box and snaking carflex in the wall.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:32 PM   #10
felonious smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie73 View Post
Its a valid concern.......so why do it at all? Hopefully they don't use heavy loads while the AC is on. In my own place I wouldn't hesitate to do it at all.

Was there a reason you couldn't get another hot leg through that pipe to feed the 120 volt receptacle?
Panel space. Lack of it.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #11
felonious smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclary's electrical View Post
As long it is the right sized breaker, it won't hurt anything. If you got paid for two dedicated circuits, you kinda ripped them off.
Originally just to replace existing. I added the 120 volt receptacle after noticing space heater plugged into a #14 wire branch circuit with a 20 amp breaker for another unit where hvac heat element failed. Its either motel so what can they really plug in that will draw that much?
Old 02-15-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
IBEW L.U. 1852

Quote:
Panel space. Lack of it.
Makes sense

Quote:
Originally just to replace existing. I added the 120 volt receptacle after noticing space heater plugged into a #14 wire branch circuit with a 20 amp breaker for another unit where hvac heat element failed. Its either motel so what can they really plug in that will draw that much?
In a motel where the guest are usually only there overnight then there most likely wont be much of anything plugged in. Should be fine.

My only question is.....what kind of motel is it? You mentioned soaking wet wall over block and rotted #14 wire.........sounds like a dump.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:51 PM   #13
felonious smile.

Quote:
Makes sense

In a motel where the guest are usually only there overnight then there most likely wont be much of anything plugged in. Should be fine.

My only question is.....what kind of motel is it? You mentioned soaking wet wall over block and rotted #14 wire.........sounds like a dump.
They have a 10 degree roof pitch. A 1980s remod placed a fake parapit around the edge. During snow season it leaks into the exterior wall. I have been there several times throughout the years in different rooms to refeed or rewire where moisture has caused concealed j boxes and wiring on exterior wall to fail.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #14
IBEW L.U. 1852

Quote:
They have a 10 degree roof pitch. A 1980s remod placed a fake parapit around the edge. During snow season it leaks into the exterior wall. I have been there several times throughout the years in different rooms to refeed or rewire where moisture has caused concealed j boxes and wiring on exterior wall to fail.
Glad its yours... but I guess its work.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:04 PM   #15
felonious smile.

Quote:
Glad its yours... but I guess its work.
Im in no position this time of the year to even let a toggle switch replacement service call pass by. If things get any worse I'll have to place a " flats fixed $10" sign on my truck.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Im in no position this time of the year to even let a toggle switch replacement service call pass by. If things get any worse I'll have to place a " flats fixed $10" sign on my truck.
Any inside work is good this time of year is good. 0 Degrees here. Whatever outside guys get paid, they are earning it right now.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #17
Sparks fly from my finger

Rewards Points: 4,529

They used to or maybe still do make receptacles that are 5-20r on one half and 6-20r on the other.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #18
felonious smile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhellwig View Post
They used to or maybe still do make receptacles that are 5-20r on one half and 6-20r on the other.
Yes they do as a duplex. It was a Saturday noon job so HD was all i had. Those were toggle/ duplex 1900 covers. I punched the toggle to a single receptacle.
Quote:
Old 02-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #19
felonious smile.

Quote:
Yes they do as a duplex.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:47 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Yes they do as a duplex. It was a Saturday noon job so HD was all i had. Those were toggle/ duplex 1900 covers. I punched the toggle to a single receptacle.

Random Q shock, but do you use schwing? AC? n&s?
The_kid is offline   Reply With Quote