can I put the white tape on a #12 black wire to use it as neutral wire? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By ppsh
  • 3 Post By CoolWill
  • 1 Post By macmikeman

Old 04-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 530
Default can I put the white tape on a #12 black wire to use it as neutral wire?

for me, I don't think so, I remember the code book says it shall start bigger than #2 copper,
not a small size like #12 copper

correct me if I am wrong
mike883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike883 View Post
for me, I don't think so, I remember the code book says it shall start bigger than #2 copper,

correct me if I am wrong
Is it in a pipe or in a cable?
TGGT, Bird dog and HertzHound like this.
ppsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 634

I can... Not legally, but I certainly can do so.
brian john, sbrn33 and glen1971 like this.
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2019, 10:22 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike883 View Post

correct me if I am wrong
We do it with multi-conductor teck cable all the time (see rule below). I've been on a few places that wanted it covered with white heat shrink all the back to the connector, which violates the rule.

From the 2018 Handbook:
4-030
Subrule 4) allows the insulated neutral conductors in multi-conductor cables to be permanently identified by painting or other means where the internal conductors are accessible and visible. Other acceptable means are coloured insulating tape or coloured heat-shrink tubing. In many cases, these means of identification are easier to apply in the field and can be more permanent than painting.
Subrule 4) requires that, where such means are used to identify insulated neutral conductors, the manufacturer’s numbering of the conductor remain legible.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:23 PM   #5
Semper Fi

Rewards Points: 7,374

If it's a cable assembley
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #6
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 14,795

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
READ 200.6. pretty much says any colored wire can be used as a grounded conductor so long as it is properly identified as a white wire. Meaning paint it white. No rules about what wiring method is employed. ***

200.7 gives us the rules about re-identifiying a white conductor to another color such as black or blue for use as an ungrounded conductor. That is where it is limited to cable assemblies.

***- Inspectors cannot fathom this wording from 200.6 and will pull the "I interpret this to mean....." crapola on you every single time they find you trying to re-identify a white wire to another color . But that doesn't change the fact that the code allows it. This is your mactip of the day!
Old 04-04-2019, 10:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
The code allows a white wire in a cable assembly to be used as a hot conductor if re-identified, but I don't think it,goes the other way, that is, another color being used as a neutral.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #8
Senile Member

Oh crap, I got this whole thing backwards what the op was asking. I did address Coolwill's statement though. Read the code I posted in your code book.

Coolwill, you just learned something from your ole buddy Mikey............ So now we are 1 / 1000.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
READ 200.6. pretty much says any colored wire can be used as a grounded conductor so long as it is properly identified as a white wire. Meaning paint it white. No rules about what wiring method is employed. ***

200.7 gives us the rules about re-identifiying a white conductor to another color such as black or blue for use as an ungrounded conductor. That is where it is limited to cable assemblies.

***- Inspectors cannot fathom this wording from 200.6 and will pull the "I interpret this to mean....." crapola on you every single time they find you trying to re-identify a white wire to another color . But that doesn't change the fact that the code allows it. This is your mactip of the day!
Where is this Section 200 you speak of? My Code Book only goes up to 86.. Guess the 100 of us figured we can't be bothered with the rest.. LMAO!

PS.. The OP is a Canuck!

Last edited by glen1971; 04-04-2019 at 11:17 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to glen1971 For This Useful Post:
Southeast Power (04-05-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 11:20 PM   #10
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
Where is this Section 200 you speak of? My Code Book only goes up to 86.. Guess the 100 of us figured we can't be bothered with the rest.. LMAO!

PS.. The OP is a Canuck!

Cricket should have taken my advise on coloring all threads from the Canadian Code sections.............

I look at new posts. Sometimes I don't see the Canadian part.........
glen1971 likes this.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Cricket should have taken my advise on coloring all threads from the Canadian Code sections.............

It's all good! Just giving you a hard time on behalf of the hundred of us up here.. lol..
Old 04-04-2019, 11:26 PM   #12
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
It's all good! Just giving you a hard time on behalf of the hundred of us up here.. lol..
Well , you know how I got that number don't you? I got it from 99.........
Old 04-04-2019, 11:47 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 238

Quote:

That’s one reason I don’t like the enhanced mobile version on the phone. It doesn’t show the information of the member, just the name. It’s the default when I come here on the phone. A couple of days ago it wouldn’t let me leave the enhanced mobile version unless I signed in. Now when I first come here I can click on one post, then it switches to some BS ad that tells me I won a chance to spin the wheel and infect my phone. I have to close the tab, come back, sign in and leave enhanced mobile version ASAP.

Do ya think ET has chased off enough users with their advertising greed? I think so.

I don’t have a problem with any other site I go to on the phone, only here.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 94

Ad-block is your friend.
joe-nwt is offline   Reply With Quote