Career change to Electrician - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree31Likes

Old 06-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Default Career change to Electrician

Hi guys,
Looking for advice on how to approach this.
Right now I am in high Tech making over 100K a year in my 30s.
I want to become an Electrician, then eventually open my own electrical business.
I read that in CA I need to be an apprentice for 2-4 years full time to get my CA electrician license. That is a sting to my income during full time apprenticeship.

My goal is to work full time at my current job, while slowly transition into it.

-Is there a school, union offer only night class? on-the-job training on the weekend?

-Does the CA general license(8000 hours requirement) can work on residential license? But not vise-versa.

Thank you.

Last edited by John Valdes; 06-17-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Tech_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,775

Stick with your current job.
Contracting in Ca. is "eat or be eaten". You gotta hustle 24/7 365 to be profitable, and finding good help is pretty much hit or miss. There's cheap help, and there's good help, but, there ain't no such thing as cheap good help. (well, there is,but it's few and far between).
An apprenticeship is a full time gig. A reputable program will have you working pretty much full time, and going to school twice a week at night. Not much time for side work. But....... you'll take a major pay ding.
Not trying to be disparaging, but, it takes time, and dedication to learn this trade, not that it's "hard", but there's a lot to it.
Good luck if you decide to make the leap.
(And, I'd recommend a union apprenticeship, as opposed to the "other one").
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

There's a difference in acceptable wages in different parts of the country, I'm not sure where 100K puts you there, but here I'd say that's pretty good wages for sure.

If you walked away from a steady 6 figures to be an electrician in this state, I wouldn't hire you, I don't want crazy people working for me. XD
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matt1124 For This Useful Post:
John Valdes (06-16-2018), TGGT (06-15-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 07:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 932

Go sit up in the attic of your house on a hot day for 5 hours. Do some cleaning to keep yourself interested then deiced if in 6 years sitting up there supervising sounds interesting.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #5

Well guys, it does sound crazy. A couple friends also thought what I was smoking when I told them so.

No, I am not quitting my high tech job to be a licensed electrician, and work for a company or union forever. That would be stupid.
The only reason I want to make the jump is to build something more significant for myself and hopefully the earning potential skyrocketed. Build a business around it is what I have in mind.

I looked at the approved list of colleges and unions.
Could you tell me why a union program is better than college program?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #6
Magic Smoke Remover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech_tech View Post
Well guys, it does sound crazy. A couple friends also thought what I was smoking when I told them so.

No, I am not quitting my high tech job to be a licensed electrician, and work for a company or union forever. That would be stupid.
The only reason I want to make the jump is to build something more significant for myself and hopefully the earning potential skyrocketed. Build a business around it is what I have in mind.

If you were 18 and making minimum wage Iíd say go for it. It takes YEARS *after* getting your contractors license to get a company profitable enough to compare to a 100k a year job. Take that good money youíve got coming in and make some sound investments, like rental properties perhaps, and build wealth without starting from the bottom.
B-Nabs likes this.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 3,614

Quote:
All due respect, if you're still asking questions like that, I find it very hard to believe you have any idea what it takes to succeed as a large electrical contractor.

Again all due respect but do some homework, look into a variety of entrepeneurial opportunities and consider the possibility you might right now be making as much as you're ever going to with your talents and abilities, tolerance for risk, and willingness to work.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 56

Welcome and good bye. You obviously have no clue based on your questions which also makes me believe you are full of cow sh!t. Please... stay away from electrical.

Not even an apprentice and already wants to skip/bypass mandatory training/OJT and wants to be an EC....

Yeah right.
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:42 PM   #9
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 19,236

I would have felt better if you spelled "career" correctly!

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:56 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 56

Not sure what direction you were heading but just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

I realize that the majority of sparkys on here either are union or trade school. For what it's worth, those are not the only ways to get into the trade nor be successful at it.

I am a 3rd gen. Electrician. My grandfather started out in the US Navy as an electrician and work for Miami-Dade afterwards for 40 years as an electrician.

My father never graduated highschool and only went to 10th grade, let alone no college either...

He worked under my grandfather at 17 making extra cash for the weekend and decided to make a career out of it. After running jobs and crews for 20 years my pops opened up the test books and studied and passed his masters test 1st try.

He has had a very busy and profitable state of florida electrical contracting business for 12 years now.

So for those who are trying to decide to go union or trade school, there's also aleays on the job training, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
Quote:
All due respect, if you're still asking questions like that, I find it very hard to believe you have any idea what it takes to succeed as a large electrical contractor.

Again all due respect but do some homework, look into a variety of entrepeneurial opportunities and consider the possibility you might right now be making as much as you're ever going to with your talents and abilities, tolerance for risk, and willingness to work.
Whocares05050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 03:20 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 26

This forum is for electricians only, this thread is closed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Drsparky14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:37 AM   #12
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

If your current employer pays 6 figures to a guy that can't spell career, then you should probably stay there.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:08 AM   #13
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares05050 View Post
Not sure what direction you were heading but just wanted to throw in my 2 cents.
<snip>
So for those who are trying to decide to go union or trade school, there's also aleays on the job training, too...
My point was NOT whether trade school or union apprenticeship or OJT is superior. It's that if you haven't even figured out how you want to get started on the tools, you probably haven't figured out what it entails to succeed as a contractor.

(Incidentally ... goes without saying being 3rd generation in a successful family contracting business almost certainly gives you better insight into what it takes to succeed in contracting than trade school or union apprenticeship.)

Before leaving a good job like the OP's, I'd make sure to have this whole thing charted step by step start to finish, not just the first step.

At the very least he might find out he should have saved a bunch with that high paying job and socked it away before starting his apprenticeship so years later when he gets his masters license he has the capital to start in electrical contracting. (Not to mention so he can pay his bills during his apprenticeship.) And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited by splatz; 06-16-2018 at 06:58 AM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:09 AM   #14
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
If your current employer pays 6 figures to a guy that can't spell career, then you should probably stay there.
AND where can I get an applimicashin?
Old 06-16-2018, 08:20 AM   #15
Magic Smoke Remover

Watch in like 8 years we’ll be saying “damn, how does this guy keep taking all our jobs?!”
Old 06-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 138

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatz View Post
AND where can I get an applimicashin?
He needs an edjumacation first. Lol

Texting and Driving
trentonmakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:59 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 2,714

How is this still open?
John Valdes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 3,230

Unless you are very specialized in controls or something like that you are not making $100K a year. $40 may be a more likely number.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 05:21 PM   #19

Hey guys,
Thanks to those offer useful advice.

About my grammar error. English is my second language, I learned it because I had to.
If you judge one by their writing mistake...so be it.

Yes, I make $120K, bonus(~30K) and benefits because of my Electronic and computer skills, I don't make that because I can write correct English sentences.

My friend is running a successful HVAC small business, employ 9 HVAC techs, have 4 trucks. He showed me his tax return, I was blown away how much he has made.
He is on his way to retire and live luxury in his early 40s.
He recommended me Electrician, that's why I am here.

Anyway, Apprenticeship takes a lot of time, that's why i am asking which way should I approach considering my busy schedule. Look like there is no way out.

Saving and invest. I have the capital to run the biz, and have the cushion to financial hit just in case it does not work out.
That's all for now.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #20
MTW

Rewards Points: 7,798

Quote:
Yes, I make $120K, bonus(~30K) and benefits because of my Electronic and computer skills, I don't make that because I can write correct English sentences.

My friend is running a successful HVAC small business, employ 9 HVAC techs, have 4 trucks. He showed me his tax return, I was blown away how much he has made.
He is on his way to retire and live luxury in his early 40s.
He recommended me Electrician, that's why I am here.
In all honestly, if you really want to make money, you should go into HVAC. Your friend proved it to you. It's far more difficult to make the kind of profit with electrical work that you can with hvac. For instance, equipment markup alone is very profitable. Electricians have very few big ticket items to mark up in a given week, while HVAC is a steady stream of markup every week (assuming install and changeout.)

That's what I would do if I could do it all over, and I have a lot of time in the electrical trade now.

But honestly, you're crazy to give up what you're doing now for trade work.
MechanicalDVR, splatz and Bird dog like this.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote