Ceiling fan capacitor - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By cabletie
  • 1 Post By electricmaster
  • 1 Post By KnightPower
  • 1 Post By Joe Robert
  • 1 Post By cuba_pete
  • 1 Post By glen1971
  • 2 Post By 99cents
  • 5 Post By cabletie
  • 1 Post By 99cents
  • 1 Post By wildleg
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By gpop

Old 07-04-2018, 11:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,274
Default Ceiling fan capacitor

Has anyone had any luck fixing a ceiling fan by replacing the capacitor?

I have a ceiling fan in our computer room/home office. One day I noticed it was making a louder than usual hum, and spinning on low speed. I tried putting it on high from the wall fan speed control, but it didn't change the speed, and still hums. The fan is kind of futuristic and has no pull chains to change speed.

I took out the combination light dimmer/speed controller from the wall, and removed the matching remote from under the canopy. I wired the fan straight though. Still only low speed with a louder than normal hum. Looking at the wiring I noticed a rectangular box 5uf capacitor that looked impregnated. It looked like it was in its third trimester.

I know I should call an electrician and this is not a DIY site, but has anyone ever replaced one of these. I went online and sure enough there is a market for these things. I ordered one, and it should be in in a few days.

They didn't have any at the Home Depot, and every guy I asked said they weren't an electrician.

Any thoughts?
splatz likes this.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2018, 11:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 12

Call a electrician

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
splatz likes this.
electricmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to electricmaster For This Useful Post:
cabletie (07-04-2018)
Old 07-04-2018, 11:36 PM   #3
Magic Smoke Remover

Rewards Points: 1,966

Ibtl
matt1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2018, 11:42 PM   #4

I have fixed a couple of fans with replacing the capicator.. But for a new one I've had to order from Amazon. Anytime I take out a ceiling fan I usually gut it for the pull switches and capicators. Now I have a few motors, switches and capicators laying on the shelf.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
splatz likes this.
KnightPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 20

Seeing a bubbled capacitor always made me happy, knew it was going to be an easy fix! Assuming you donít have a meter that tests capacitance, seeing a bubble is the easiest way to tell if a capacitor has gone bad (though sometimes a bad cap wonít be bubbled).

Replacing that one will almost certainly solve your problem. And fyi, any hvac supply or electric motor store will have a wide range of caps in abundance.
splatz likes this.
Joe Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:12 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,813

Ibtl
splatz likes this.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:04 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,790

Call an electrician.. If they can't troubleshoot a ceiling fan or a capacitor, call a real one...
splatz likes this.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 AM   #8
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,677

You're going to lock a guy who has been here seven years and has 1472 posts? Brutal.

I don't have any advice. If it was a customer, I would tell him to go to HD and buy a new one (except I go into hiding whenever a ceiling fan is mentioned).
samgregger and tmessner like this.

Last edited by 99cents; 07-05-2018 at 08:35 AM.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,274

Thanks for all the input.

I called a local electronic place near me before I ordered it online. I can't believe no one around here has one. I would just replace the fan, but the wife always liked this one.

I don't have a tester for capacitance anymore. I didn't feel like cutting it out and seeing if it takes a charge on the resistance scale, and then reversing the meter. I know that's a half assed test.

I don't think I've ever heard any one fixing a ceiling fan before. Makes sense to cut out the working parts of old ones. I used to do stuff like that when I did service work type of stuff.

Thanks again! Maybe if the fan does need to be replaced, I'll call Angie's list. Then grab a chair and tell the guy how to do his job
wildleg, 99cents, daveEM and 2 others like this.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #10
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
I don't have any advice. If it was a customer, I would tell him to go to HD and buy a new one (except I go into hiding whenever a ceiling fan is mentioned).
You must have heard me giving advice to some apprentice years ago. I tell em to find a handyperson after they buy the fan.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #11
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,677

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveEM View Post
You must have heard me giving advice to some apprentice years ago. I tell em to find a handyperson after they buy the fan.
I would rather do heat trace on the coldest day of winter than hang a ceiling fan .
tmessner likes this.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #12
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 1,038

I enjoy occasionally repairing appliances (for myself or family only) for cheap just to get the bonus life out of them. I think I replaced just about every part on my washing machine at my last house, some x3; that thing was a tank and I stretched it to 25 yrs or so.

last xmas when i was up in NY, my wife's niece was getting ready to buy a new fridge cause the "appliance guy" wanted 600 bucks to fix the ice maker in their almost new one. sheesh. ten dollar solenoid that I had to pay 75 over the counter for.

good luck with the clg fan.
splatz likes this.

Last edited by wildleg; 07-05-2018 at 09:59 AM.
wildleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:41 AM   #13
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,064

Even though most of this crap is made to be disposable any more, I'll fix it sometimes because besides the cost savings sometimes it's easier to replace in place than the full rip out and replace.
Max C. likes this.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,056

Im more than willing to waste a day to fix something then once its fixed im more than willing to trash it and buy a new one. I think i have a mental problem where i just need to know why its broken.
splatz likes this.
gpop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 578

Am I truly one of the only "fantricians" around here Seriously though, Lowes has a tendency to carry quite a few replacement fan parts, as with most lighting showrooms...
Max C. is offline   Reply With Quote