Chicago Horizontal Receptacles - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By active1

Old 02-19-2018, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,149
Default Chicago Horizontal Receptacles

In response to other thread that was closed for some reason.

Back in the day 4x4 boxes weren't used so much.
IDK why.
Probably price or availability on hand.
Chicago did manufacture the electrical boxes, so I'm thinking it was price. Just like why do they use plastic 1G boxes currently in most residential areas, when a 4x4 could be used.

They used 1G boxes for receptacles and switches.
Octagon without the ears & screws to mount fixtures.
They attached lighting using nipples, male enlargers, & hickeys.

So if everything is 99% conduit, the 1G box only has 1 hole on top or bottom. So in pipe world you would need to 90 into the side of boxes if using 1G vertical. More time, more conduit, more wire, & more bends.

Even a deep one, again price being a factor only would have 2 knock outs and couldn't be placed back to back. Back to backs are a time saver in conduit world.

So they had a 1G horizontal bracket box.
Three 1/2" KO's. You could pipe in, out, and somewhere else all from the top or bottom.

The picture enclosed is not the exact box, but just to give you an idea of the bracket layout.

At some point around the 1950's they had a horizontal bracket box that was 4" horizontal and maybe 3" vertical with a 1G horizontal ring permanently part of the box. Probably to get more room for wire. Again 3 KO's in the top and bottom. They seemed to be phased out after 10 years.

The 1900 boxes (4x4) became pretty standard by the later 1960's.

There was a time when the Despard switches were popular.
Again those boxes or rings were horizontal.

Few advantages is you can tell if it's roughed as a counter switch or recep. But then you can have the person installing the rings wrong and put the switch horizontal. I guess in the vertical world you don't have that problem. If your super tight on the recep. spacing, punting em horizontal gained a few inches. I'm biased, but I think the look better horizontal.

eddy current likes this.
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2018, 06:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,049

I'm betting they sit on the shelf for long periods. What a useless POS that is. With a device, you would only have room for 3 conductors, maybe 4.
I like the 3/4" K.O. feature........ FOR WHAT? Who's gonna run 3/4" for 3 conductors?
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,149

Keep in mind the above pic is not the actual boxes used.
Just a visual of a 1G horizontal bracket.

I would say the brick box

The one above is a deep brick (aka masonry or concrete) box.
This one is a 3.75x2x3.5" (double KO's on short side).
It's the largest 1G box listed in 314.16(A) @ 21 cu in, same as a 4x4x1.5" Fits from 4 #6 awg or 9 # 12 awg.
Realistically in and out with 12 awg and a GFI is fine but the same with 10awg is legal.

Need 3/4? Many times jobs are just done at a minimum of 3/4" as a spec.

The corners are square to fit flat against a brick.
The ears to mount the yoke are internal so the device screws don't bottom on the brick.
Used to use a lot of them, never with the bracket.
The idea of the brick bracket is not for anchoring it.
It's to fit between the bricks as the wall is being built.
Helping it to stay straight.
active1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #4

Yeah, okay, but.........if it is a "horizontal" box, isn't the bracket on the wrong end? Being how bricks are staggered and such, it seems the bracket would be in the way. It looks more suited for a vertical install.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #5
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
I'm betting they sit on the shelf for long periods. What a useless POS that is. With a device, you would only have room for 3 conductors, maybe 4.
I like the 3/4" K.O. feature........ FOR WHAT? Who's gonna run 3/4" for 3 conductors?
Used 3/4" Greenfield in commercial offices many times in the past with wooden framing.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #6
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,008

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebanana View Post
Yeah, okay, but.........if it is a "horizontal" box, isn't the bracket on the wrong end? Being how bricks are staggered and such, it seems the bracket would be in the way. It looks more suited for a vertical install.
Ah, that box is not for masonry.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDVR View Post
Used 3/4" Greenfield in commercial offices many times in the past with wooden framing.
As far as commercial installs go, I always use a 4s, w/ mud ring even for switches. (except for milti-gang) The box pictured looks completely useless to me.
But, then again, we rarely see brickwork here. Everything residential is stuccoed.