Circuit Breakers - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree10Likes

Old 12-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 58
Default Circuit Breakers

Hi,

I'm a relatively new electrician in rural Ontario. I've been primarily buying my circuit breakers online from canadabreakers.com and amazon.com but I'd like to cut down my shipping costs.

I'm curious if anyone has solved this problem by buying breakers in bulk and if so, what breakers are you commonly stock piling.

Thanks,
David
87davidrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #2
Wire Ninja

Rewards Points: 1,421

I suspect that answer would not only vary from country to country, but even within different states or provinces. For instance, in my area, there is almost no Siemens and GE. I carried QO, HOM, CH-CH, CH-BR, CH-CL, and FPE.
MDShunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
MTW

Rewards Points: 6,908

In my area, Murray and Bryant (with the colored handles) were common for many decades. That's shifted to Homeline and CH-BR now.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #4
Wire Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
In my area, Murray and Bryant (with the colored handles) were common for many decades. That's shifted to Homeline and CH-BR now.
Sorta why I carried the CL classified replacement breakers because they worked in pretty much all the 1" Westinghouse clone panels. Murray, Bryant, Goulds, ITE, Crouse-Hinds, .... I dunno. A bunch of them.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 838

Canadian sparkys should be along sooner or later. @99cents @eddycurrent
Old 12-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #6
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 10,169

Buy breakers from someone you can trust. That’s a wholesaler or authorized retailer. No sense risking counterfeits to save a few bucks.

If you’re concerned about shipping costs on breakers, what about wire and cable?

If you’re doing resi, you need a good assortment of Siemens, QO, Homeline, Stab-Lok and Eaton. Eaton covers off old NovaLine (you can google Eaton Vintage Breakers for a complete list).
glen1971 likes this.

Last edited by 99cents; 12-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.
99cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
Wire Ninja

Is buying construction material through the mail pretty common in Canada? I'm guessing many parts of the country aren't within a reasonable driving distance to a supply house?
Old 12-04-2018, 12:11 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87davidrobinson View Post
Hi,

I'm a relatively new electrician in rural Ontario. I've been primarily buying my circuit breakers online from canadabreakers.com and amazon.com but I'd like to cut down my shipping costs.

I'm curious if anyone has solved this problem by buying breakers in bulk and if so, what breakers are you commonly stock piling.

Thanks,
David
It's extremely dangerous for a solo operator to 'bury' his working capital into inventory.

Working Capital:

1) Cash on hand ( Wallet, Bank )

2) Accounts Receivable ( avoid extending trade credit -- especially NOW )

3) Inventory ( in the shop or on the truck/van )

You want all of your Working Capital to be sitting in the bank... within practical limits.

Saving a few bucks on materials is the path to the poorhouse.

Put your effort into marketing... not shaving materials prices.

PM Hax inre the new way to market these days.
glen1971 likes this.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 12:23 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,528

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Is buying construction material through the mail pretty common in Canada? I'm guessing many parts of the country aren't within a reasonable driving distance to a supply house?
I've never mail ordered material in the past. Call in to the wholesaler, give them the P/O or credit card information, and tell them how you want it shipped
- Greyhound, courier, transport company, leave it outside for me to pick up after hours, etc.. Up here we just got over a postal strike too (back to work legislation), so I wouldn't want to be waiting on a critical part to arrive during that kinda work disruption.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #10
Electron Pathway Engineer

Rewards Points: 288

It says free shipping on orders over $100. Are you ordering 1 breaker at a time?
Old 12-04-2018, 07:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDShunk View Post
Is buying construction material through the mail pretty common in Canada?
On new builds: with the cost savings (after an accurate parts take off) of free shipping, the contractor saves money by not only having the drop shipping right to the site, but no longer has staff tied up at the wholesalers.Which we use to invest back into the staff that order the material

Sure you might miss one or two things. But that's a lot better than ordering a whole house of wire boxes etc, that ties up time with usually more than one person helping. And spending time off the tools at the wholesalers for at least half a day waiting in line packing it in a truck and driving to the site.

Last edited by The_Modifier; 12-04-2018 at 07:44 AM.
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #12
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 14,819

I like going to the wholesale houses , so that way on occasion I can bump into one of the other near dead's who I have known in the trade for forty years or so........... Just to compare who's winning.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:23 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 8,752

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Modifier View Post
On new builds: with the cost savings (after an accurate parts take off) of free shipping, the contractor saves money by not only having the drop shipping right to the site, but no longer has staff tied up at the wholesalers.Which we use to invest back into the staff that order the material

Sure you might miss one or two things. But that's a lot better than ordering a whole house of wire boxes etc, that ties up time with usually more than one person helping. And spending time off the tools at the wholesalers for at least half a day waiting in line packing it in a truck and driving to the site.
Will the SH not deliver to the site?

We can email/call in an order and have it delivered to the site. Typically this is next day only, but in some cases they will delivers the same day.

I hated guys at the SH too. I would have them call the order in before arrival so they could pick stuff up at Will Call and not sit around smacking lips, or worse get there and find out they SH is out of it.
The_Modifier and Signal1 like this.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
Will the SH not deliver to the site?

We can email/call in an order and have it delivered to the site. Typically this is next day only, but in some cases they will delivers the same day.

I hated guys at the SH too. I would have them call the order in before arrival so they could pick stuff up at Will Call and not sit around smacking lips, or worse get there and find out they SH is out of it.
Sometimes- if the parts are in stock. half the time they are back ordered on things- taking a few days for them to get orders together.

With the online ordering, it only took me about an hour to generate a list of items that we commonly use and can order by the online suppliers for faster ordering. And it's only a 24-48 hour wait.

With some of the locations and different cities, the SH doesn't always deliver in a fashionable time- holding up production or going to a local (to the site) SH that charges us more. With the online prices- they rarely change from week to week. so once we have the deposit, parts are ordered and the job scheduled in.

Switched and 87davidrobinson like this.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 8,752

Quote:
Sometimes- if the parts are in stock. half the time they are back ordered on things- taking a few days for them to get orders together.

With the online ordering, it only took me about an hour to generate a list of items that we commonly use and can order by the online suppliers for faster ordering. And it's only a 24-48 hour wait.

With some of the locations and different cities, the SH doesn't always deliver in a fashionable time- holding up production or going to a local (to the site) SH that charges us more. With the online prices- they rarely change from week to week. so once we have the deposit, parts are ordered and the job scheduled in.

I order more and more online too, as the SH doesn't seem interested in being a SH these days. I swear they are just ordering from Amazon anyway....
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:40 AM   #16

Quote:

I was just curious where you usually order breakers online.

At the moment, I'm primarily ordering from CanadaBreakers.ca or Amazon.ca.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87davidrobinson View Post
I was just curious where you usually order breakers online.

At the moment, I'm primarily ordering from CanadaBreakers.ca or Amazon.ca.
Check you visitors page, just messaged you. And take a mooment to fill out your profile as well. Just a general location so we know what area you're from etc.

And once you get a few more posts, you will be able to pm members.

Last edited by The_Modifier; 12-06-2018 at 10:35 PM.
The_Modifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:39 PM   #18

That's great, thanks.
The_Modifier likes this.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:36 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,120

Get a SPA setup with your best local supply house. They can beat the online pricing with a SPA.
mbednarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:48 PM   #20

Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion.