Electrician Talk banner

Code vs. Selling product

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  BBQ 
#1 ·
When did the code become more about the manufacturer of products vs. Actual life safety issues? It appears the NEC is more influenced by the manufacturers than the actual life safety issues its supposed to reprsent. Does anyone feel the same way?

#6 ·
That is a very broad question, any particular product or code section you have in mind?

Where are the product innovations supposed to come from if not the manufacturers?

Keep in mind that anyone, such as yourself, can submit a proposal, including a proposal to remove something from the code. Also, anyone can make a comment on proposals in an attempt to block adoption of a particular proposal. Finally, anyone can join the NFPA and go to the annual meeting where code proposals are voted on.

#7 ·
It's probably more of a Chicken vs Egg perception issue. Are mfrs influencing the way the code is written in order to sell more products, or are they getting advanced notice of code changes so that there are products available to address new requirements in the code?

I think it is more the latter. Manufacturers have to expend a LOT of money on new product development and they can't get budgets to do that without a very good idea of whether or not a product is going to sell. So for them to design a product and THEN try to influence the way the code is written so it might sell is going to be a tough sell in the budget meeting. Having been a product manager in the past, I can say "Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt". Not a fun meeting and if you are wrong, you look for a job. A better meeting is to go in and say "My code interface guru says this change is coming up and if we design this new product to address it, we can get 22% market share." Much nicer meeting, much more likely to be approved.

But if you only get 18% market share, you still have to look for a job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.