Conduit size for coax? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree52Likes
Unread 09-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 331
Default Conduit size for coax?

Doing some work for my in-laws and running a sub panel out to a garage while they are getting a new driveway installed. He wasn’t a a conduit for future use if he runs a single coax cable. I’ve never seen coax running in conduit and having a hard time figuring out size. I was guessing 1/2 or 3/4” but just wanted to verify
Smid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2019, 06:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,798

3/4" or 1" should be adequate.. PVC is cheap.. Fighting with a 1/2" underground for any distance is not a good day..
Smid, splatz, stiffneck and 1 others like this.
glen1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,654

I'm sure it could be done with 1/2" but I wouldn't run a data conduit less than 3/4".
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #4
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,396

A single RG6 will fit in a 1/2" conduit but I'd never go less than 1" in that situation, leave some room for additional communications / low voltage.
MechanicalDVR (09-15-2019)
Unread 09-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 882

1” like Splatz said. One day they’ll want security, intercom or phone. Not just that but 1” for anything would be the minimum. One little piece of blue stone or your native rock will ruin your day. With 1” you might have a chance of blowing it out.

Now that I think about it, I would probably do 1-1/4. No wait! Two 1-1/4” one just for a spare. Maybe put the air compressor in the garage and drag in an air line to the house. Better make it three 1-1/4”.
Unread 09-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #6
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 663

I don't deal with 1" personally, just an odd size for me with no reason to stock any fittings. I would do 3/4" in some circumstances. But in most I would run 1-1/4".
Smid and HertzHound like this.
Unread 09-14-2019, 09:12 PM   #7
zac

Rewards Points: 822

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
I don't deal with 1" personally, just an odd size for me with no reason to stock any fittings. I would do 3/4" in some circumstances. But in most I would run 1-1/4".
I run 1" for spas. I run 1"1/4 for chases at what not. For service upgrades it's 1½ and 2".
We basically do the same thing and for me 1¼ is the odd man out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Smid likes this.
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #8
Beam Me Up Scotty

Rewards Points: 162

If the burial depth is deep enough and being back filled with sand, I would use 2" DB2 For the underground portion... unless it's like 20'.

Sent from my Samsung using Tapatalk
Navyguy and Smid like this.
Unread 09-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #9
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac View Post
I run 1" for spas. I run 1"1/4 for chases at what not. For service upgrades it's 1½ and 2".
We basically do the same thing and for me 1¼ is the odd man out.
In my experience 1-1/4” is the standard for 100A services. That’s what the meter hubs that come with 100A meters are. Meter offsets are offered in 2” and 1-1/4”. And squeeze connectors for #2 SE cable are 1-1/4”.
Unread 09-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #10
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,678

Bigger is better with PVC especially with low voltage cables. PVC insulated cables in PVC conduit = mega friction = no fun pulling.
Navyguy, glen1971, Smid and 1 others like this.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2019, 09:31 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertzHound View Post
1” like Splatz said. One day they’ll want security, intercom or phone. Not just that but 1” for anything would be the minimum. One little piece of blue stone or your native rock will ruin your day. With 1” you might have a chance of blowing it out.

Now that I think about it, I would probably do 1-1/4. No wait! Two 1-1/4” one just for a spare. Maybe put the air compressor in the garage and drag in an air line to the house. Better make it three 1-1/4”.
Lol, doing 1 1/4” for the sub panel. He literally just wants a single coax for a TV. It’s a small two car detached garage so not a lot of room for a ton of stuff. Will probably go 1” to be safe.
Smid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #12
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
Lol, doing 1 1/4” for the sub panel. He literally just wants a single coax for a TV. It’s a small two car detached garage so not a lot of room for a ton of stuff. Will probably go 1” to be safe.
You might as well just do 1-1/4" for both.
Navyguy and Kevin_Essiambre like this.
Unread 09-14-2019, 10:13 PM   #13
MTW

Rewards Points: 8,678

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
You might as well just do 1-1/4" for both.
See I.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2019, 12:47 AM   #14
Hackenschmidt

Incidentally you will have to abuse the RG6 a bit to get it through a 1/2" LB, a 1" LB will be okay.
Unread 09-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #15
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTW View Post
Bigger is better with PVC especially with low voltage cables. PVC insulated cables in PVC conduit = mega friction = no fun pulling.

LUBE
Kevin_Essiambre likes this.
Unread 09-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 4,116

Quote:
Doing some work for my in-laws and running a sub panel out to a garage while they are getting a new driveway installed. He wasn’t a a conduit for future use if he runs a single coax cable. I’ve never seen coax running in conduit and having a hard time figuring out size. I was guessing 1/2 or 3/4” but just wanted to verify
I have never really understood why people want to go small when putting pipe underground...

Even if you wanted to go smaller on both ends I could understand that perhaps, I would put a larger pipe in the ground then go to something smaller for your wire.

The only time I go with a smaller pipe in the ground is when it is for a specific piece of equipment that I know is not going to be changed like driveway heating, gate opener, etc.

Between buildings I would go larger; in 30 years never had anyone say the pipe is too big take it out, but have had lots of times where I have heard "lets dig it up again".

Above ground for your situation, nothing less then 3/4"... I would probably be going 1" and RG6 sucks in PVC unless you lube it and get the right lube too...

Cheers
John
MechanicalDVR and 99cents like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Navyguy; 09-15-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #17
zac

Rewards Points: 822

Quote:
Is the cable you have rated for wet locations? I see coax cable ran exterior all the time but inside of a conduit may cause problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
zac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2019, 11:06 AM   #18
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,867

Personally, I wouldn’t put anything smaller than 1” underground.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #19
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,468

In your case I'd run 1" minimum, you never know what you may want in there in the future.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #20
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
I have never really understood why people want to go small when putting pipe underground...
All pipes should be properly sized. The idea that it is underground so it needs to be twice the normal size never made sense to me.

What's the difference underground or above ground in a building, 350' zigzaging thru a hell hole, in areas that will be finished, with lift rentals required, etc?

And I never understood why someone will want to install a huge pipe for a few smaller conductors, but they are perfectly OK with pulling 4 500's thru a 4" for services.
Quote:
in 30 years never had anyone say the pipe is too big take it out, but have had lots of times where I have heard "lets dig it up again".
Really? I have never heard of that other than a broken pipe.