Cost to run motor - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By JRaef

Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 404
Default Cost to run motor

It's been years since I did any calaculations. Plant manager wants to know about how much it costs to run a 10 hp motor 5 days a week 24 hours a day.

I know 10 hp is 7.35 kw.
I think we pay $0.15 kw/hr

Worst case is 7.35x .15 x 24hrs x 5 days
Now I multiply by 3 for three phase or 1.7
I know full load and power factor come in to it, but is it correct so far.

Thanks
Harvey

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #2
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,654

Of course, you pay for Watts and if the service is large enough, also VARs.

With a motor, Watts = HP X efficiency. PF only matters if you're being billed for VARs.

Single or 3 doesn't matter, Watts is the same with either system, though motor efficiency would be different.
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,276

So $135? Seems about right.
My city charges .066 inn the winter and .10 in the summer. .15 would suck.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,790

I remember a customer asking a Baldor rep once about the cost of running a 100 hp motor 24-7-365.
It was more than my annual salary. I don't remember the exact figures. But I think it was around $100.000 a year.
John Valdes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by just the cowboy View Post
It's been years since I did any calaculations. Plant manager wants to know about how much it costs to run a 10 hp motor 5 days a week 24 hours a day.

I know 10 hp is 7.35 kw.
I think we pay $0.15 kw/hr

Worst case is 7.35x .15 x 24hrs x 5 days

Harvey
Fify.
telsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #6
Safety Pin Member

Rewards Points: 2,880

Around $135 per week.
P&L
Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial personality disorder, aggression, and sadism.[1] Often grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.
PlugsAndLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,048

A 10HP motor has a RATED CAPACITY of 10HP but just because a motor is rated for 10HP does NOT mean it is running at 10HP. LOAD is what you pay for, not CAPACITY. If your load only demands 5kW from that motor, you consume 5kW, plus a little bit in losses through the motor, maybe 3-5%.

If someone wants an ACCURATE representation of cost, you must put a WH meter on it. Some newer Solid State Overload Relays can be set up to give you that info as well. Without actually measuring the kW being consumed and for how long, you can only guess.
micromind, telsa, splatz and 1 others like this.
dmxtothemax (01-11-2017), splatz (01-11-2017)