Costs more the 2nd time - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Old 06-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Default Costs more the 2nd time

And she told me $60 / hr plus materials plus 15% was too high!!!! Now it's $80 /hr to come behind this cheaper clown!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Costs more the 2nd time-image-3763397379.jpg  

Costs more the 2nd time-image-3182709145.jpg  

Attached Images

Mwchavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 300

Story of my life!
Control Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
Conduit Extraordinare

Rewards Points: 1,510

Why would your hourly rate change....that may be why the trades are not trusted and why every price is questioned....

I do admit, it will take longer to fix than if they had just had you do the work properly the first time, so it will cost more.
mdfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfriday
Why would your hourly rate change....that may be why the trades are not trusted and why every price is questioned....

I do admit, it will take longer to fix than if they had just had you do the work properly the first time, so it will cost more.
BC!!!

I'm a $60 / hr on new construction

And $80 / hr on remodel work!!!

Those are upfront prices I've always had and she got my first quote for the original job and it was made blatantly clear!!!! I really don't like going behind another clown to figure out what he messed up!!!!!!!! That's the $20 difference.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:36 AM   #5

I usually charge the customer to demo the violation before I install my work. I feel that I am very reasonable with my pricing and I give a good code comment job when I am done.

It's funny that these people think nothing of spending close to $100 an hour at an auto repair shop but do not want to pay any where near that for electrical work in their house!
Control Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
Coffee drinking member

Rewards Points: 5,704

Didn't know they made steel toe safety flip flops.
LoL
The Following User Says Thank You to Wirenuting For This Useful Post:
Celtic (06-28-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Conduit Extraordinare

Rewards Points: 1,510

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwchavis View Post
BC!!!

I'm a $60 / hr on new construction

And $80 / hr on remodel work!!!

Those are upfront prices I've always had and she got my first quote for the original job and it was made blatantly clear!!!! I really don't like going behind another clown to figure out what he messed up!!!!!!!! That's the $20 difference.
I still do not understand the difference in your hourly rate. Why not charge $80 / hr for everything.

An hour is an hour. Why are some less valuable to you?
mdfriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfriday

I still do not understand the difference in your hourly rate. Why not charge $80 / hr for everything.

An hour is an hour. Why are some less valuable to you?
I hate going behind people doing work and would rather not do it! So if I do go behind people I charge more...
Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Donuts > Fried Eggs

Quote:
I hate going behind people doing work and would rather not do it! So if I do go behind people I charge more...
So is the goal of increasing the price to discourage people from giving you those jobs? If your time is worth $80 and customers will pay $80, it seems to make sense to charge $80.

-John
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #10

The goal is to discourage incompetent workmanship based on price. I feel comfortable in my economic area with $60 and if they go with $35 to John doe and then call me back to fix his crap it's $80. Everyone knows codes and can wire but few know how to troubleshoot!!!! They can either pay me for it or rip the Sheetrock down and start again. That's the way I see it.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #11

Quote:
The goal is to discourage incompetent workmanship based on price. I feel comfortable in my economic area with $60 and if they go with $35 to John doe and then call me back to fix his crap it's $80. Everyone knows codes and can wire but few know how to troubleshoot!!!! They can either pay me for it or rip the Sheetrock down and start again. That's the way I see it.
It's called an aggrevation fee !
Resiwireman is offline   Reply With Quote