Cove Heaters and Infrared Heaters - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Southeast Power
  • 1 Post By nrp3
  • 1 Post By backstay

Old 09-11-2017, 06:00 AM   #1
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,054
Default Cove Heaters and Infrared Heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrn33 View Post
I don't use baseboard anymore I use cove...
I have seen these cove heaters online for years but never came across them or talked to anyone that uses them.

They say they work more by infrared / radiant heat than by heating up the air. Same as the Edenpure and other infrared space heaters that people like. That sounded to me like it could be a good idea, could also be BS. I didn't notice the Edenpure doing any better than the regular oil filled space heaters. And the Edenpure type don't last as long.

Even if there's no advantage with the radiant heat, there's definitely an advantage in the placement. In a lot of places especially residential, baseboard heating doesn't work out great, people want to put furniture along the walls. Bedrooms in particular.

So any reviews or feedback on these?

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2017, 06:10 AM   #2
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,166

The theory behind it seems solid but as you mentioned, it needs to be facing down to work best.
Southeast Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
The theory behind it seems solid but as you mentioned, it needs to be facing down to work best.
It seems like if you put them on the coves of opposite walls they'd work well...
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #4
86 45 20

I thought there would be more use of it just due to efficiency.
Traditional way is to heat up all of the air and control it with a thermostat.
Infra red is going to travel through the air as cool light and warm people, food or objects. Pretty cool and, nothing really new.
It has application limits, it pretty sure it has to "shine" on you to feel it. Not much large area application like maybe a furnace could produce.

I have seen them at outdoor restaurants and bars in the form of strips and I thing propane heaters work like that too.
splatz likes this.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:27 AM   #5
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 972

Seen a few in the elderly and family housing I work on in bathrooms. Don't know if it works any better, just doesn't end up corroding as quick because of where it is.
splatz likes this.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #6
86 45 20

If this is the same thing used in poultry barns, it should work on people very well.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 AM   #7
Hackenschmidt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southeast Power View Post
Not much large area application like maybe a furnace could produce.
I saw lay in panels that went in the ceiling grid, I thought that was an interesting idea. You could alternate rows of lights and heat panels...

Quote:
I have seen them at outdoor restaurants and bars in the form of strips and I thing propane heaters work like that too.
I work in a few warehouses where they use propane heaters that have a reflector behind them shining down on the work areas, they do seem to work but it's hard to tell whether it's really any better than the usual radiator and fan type you see.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 3,290

The placement was the main reason I started using them, no worries about a couch or cord getting in the way. I just put one up in a storage shed last week. I put some in a garage awhile back and the guy loves it. He doesn't lose all of his heat if he does have to open the door. They don't look as nice as baseboard because you can see them but no one has ever really complained either.
I usually put them above the door to the room facing the outside wall. Then you don't really even notice them.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 296

I've installed some in office settings. The women still want their beaver heaters.
sbrn33 likes this.
backstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,290

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstay View Post
I've installed some in office settings. The women still want their beaver heaters.
Especially if they are in a steel building on an outside wall.
sbrn33 is offline   Reply With Quote