Cutting oil - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree38Likes

Old 11-05-2018, 09:06 PM   #1

I had to do a lot of drilling today using the hole saw to make knockouts in pull boxes ,panels etc .

I didn’t want to burn up the bits so I asked the boss if he could buy cutting oil , he gave me w-d-40 instead and said it’s just as good .

In my opion it didn’t wrk well at all it continued to burn up to fast , I guess it cooled the bits, but made a lot of smoke .

I don’t believe it works as well as actual cutting oil .

Just wondering what others think on this

Last edited by Unionpride277; 11-05-2018 at 09:08 PM.
Unionpride277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 09:08 PM   #2
German Spy

Rewards Points: 3,843

KO sets work better.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
KO sets work better.
Please refresh my memory. If you use a 3/8" drill bit, you can skip the 1/2" KO?
Hole cutters work better than hole saws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4,032

WD-40 doesn't work good for steel cutting, it's works ok for aluminum though.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #5
German Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
Please refresh my memory. If you use a 3/8" drill bit, you can skip the 1/2" KO?
Hole cutters work better than hole saws.
I use a uni- bit till the 1/2" KO, and go up from there with KO's

Beleive 1/2" KO is 7/8"
Old 11-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
I use a uni- bit till the 1/2" KO, and go up from there with KO's

Beleive 1/2" KO is 7/8"
I was thinking of the size hole needed for the large KO stud and not mess with the 1/2" KO.
John Valdes likes this.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #7
German Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird dog View Post
I was thinking of the size hole needed for the large KO stud and not mess with the 1/2" KO.
I think 3/4" or 7/8".
MechanicalDVR likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Helmut For This Useful Post:
Bird dog (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,188

You should not use a lubricating oil in a cutting application and you should not use cutting oil in a lubrication application.WD40 is more of a lubricant than a cutting fluid.

Cutting oil will work fine on holesaws. I get a cup and a brush and apply the oil with the brush and you should be fine. You might try CRC spray on cutting oil on the holesaws .
I have used CRC spray on cutting oil when threading pipe by hand with no problems. I have used it when using a pony motor it just cannot the heat and the threads were unuseable.
I have also heard of using a wax commode ring (unused of course) for cutter lubrication. I do know they make wax sticks for cutter lubrication.

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...gaAuOPEALw_wcB
LC

Last edited by Lone Crapshooter; 11-05-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Lone Crapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:45 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 7,520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Crapshooter View Post
You should not use a lubricating oil in a cutting application and you should not use cutting oil in a lubrication application.WD40 is more of a lubricant than a cutting fluid.

Cutting oil will work fine on holesaws. I get a cup and a brush and apply the oil with the brush and you should be fine. You might try CRC spray on cutting oil on the holesaws .
I have used CRC spray on cutting oil when threading pipe by hand with no problems. I have used it when using a pony motor it just cannot the heat and the threads were unuseable.
I have also heard of using a wax commode ring (unused of course) for cutter lubrication. I do know they make wax sticks for cutter lubrication.

LC
I agree it is not good for cutting, but WD 40 is not a lubricant. Just sayin
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unionpride277 View Post
I had to do a lot of drilling today using the hole saw to make knockouts in pull boxes ,panels etc .

I didnít want to burn up the bits so I asked the boss if he could buy cutting oil , he gave me w-d-40 instead and said itís just as good .

In my opion it didnít wrk well at all it continued to burn up to fast , I guess it cooled the bits, but made a lot of smoke .

I donít believe it works as well as actual cutting oil .

Just wondering what others think on this
Breathing that smoke IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU, did you have a proper mask?
Old 11-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,188

Eddy you are exactly right and sometimes It creates more problems that it solves.

One other thing in my shop I use a lot of ANCHOR LUBE . Works good on stainless and even better on carbon steel.
https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...YaAq95EALw_wcB

LC
Chops146 likes this.

Last edited by Lone Crapshooter; 11-05-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Lone Crapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lone Crapshooter For This Useful Post:
Chops146 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 06:25 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,114

I drill and hole cut a lot of stainless and i think drill speed, pressure on the bit and knowing how to sharpen a drill bit are way more important than then the type of oil being used.

If the drill is not cutting then its skidding causing the the layer that should be removed to heat harden, Oil keeps this from happening by acting as a coolant but its also stopping the the drill from cutting. The best stuff to use is water based cutting fluid pre mixed in a spray bottle but that causes its own problems around electrical. Oil also causes problems with staining on painted surfaces so i like to go old school and just drill the hole then sharper the bit. With a cutter i will go for a few seconds then stop and allow the cutter teeth to cool then go again.

Aluminum is a different ball game and i will use oil to stop the drill from getting a good bite.
gpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:27 AM   #13
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,268

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Crapshooter View Post

LC

Wax toilet rings have bee's wax in them which is a decent cutting fluid when it melts.

Worked on a high tech satellite project in the early 80s where the specs called for using raw bees wax for threading dies, taps, and hole saws. It came in paper tubes like huge chap stick containers. All the pipe and enclosures were made from Monel.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 06:37 AM   #14
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,268

I always carried clear & dark cutting oil along with tap magic on my work vehicle to cover all bases and also occasionally stick wax for driving large lag screws into old wood.
circuitman1, scotch and NewElect85 like this.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:36 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 3,078

Drill metal SLOW. Drill wood FAST.
1/2" Drill bit in steel should be about 200 RPM or slower
eddy current likes this.

Last edited by 3DDesign; 11-06-2018 at 07:43 AM.
3DDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,608

I suppose that this is one of those "anything is better than nothing" situations. Extending the life of a hole saw requires some sort of coolant and a slow speed.

I have had good luck with the Milwaukee "Shockwave" holesaws in panel enclosures. they are small, light, and cheap. I use my 12 volt impact and WD40. Note, these holesaws are useless in stainless.
splatz likes this.
varmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 686

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
Breathing that smoke IS NOT GOOD FOR YOU, did you have a proper mask?
I made that mistake exactly once. I almost passed out. WD 40 and 226 are some nasty, nasty chemicals. you should never allow it to touch your skin much less breath in heated fumes.

I read the can after using it for 10 years to take bull off of me when working on roof jobs.
Its works way too good to be safe to use. Also worthless as a cutting fluid.
My go to is hands down a product named Tap Magic.
Its cheap, cleans up nice and flat out does the job.
MechanicalDVR and circuitman1 like this.
NewElect85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 4,082

Best stuff I have ever used...

https://www.jokisch-fluids.com/produ...-paste-897-cf/

Cheers
John
splatz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:08 AM   #19
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,270

For threading pipe, I don't think there's room to mess around, you want real cutting oil. For drilling holes in most metal (not stainless) and hole saws and cutters, I will use whatever's on hand if it works better than nothing.

WD40 is nothing special, it's mostly mineral oil. Plain mineral oil is not a bad cutting fluid.

I don't think WD40 is a great cutting lubricant but it seems to be better than nothing. It seems too light to be a good coolant but it should lubricate OK and lubrication is half the battle with a cutting oil.

(Actually with a hand saw, WD40 is as good as anything, except maybe silicone spray, but that's mostly just to lube the flat surface of the saw blade, no heat issue.)

You would want to try to keep the speed down so it's not burning (smoking). If it's burning, it's probably worse than nothing.

Vaseline seems to be a passable cutting fluid. It's basically mineral oil too, but more viscous.

I find the wax type a lot handier for use in the field. I even found one that's small enough to put in the case with the bits, like a big crayon. I can't remember the brand name. AGS makes Cut-Ease, I can't find it locally but that one looks like a good medium size made for the purpose.

For stainless, it's a mess, but I think evaporated milk actually works.

Last edited by splatz; 11-06-2018 at 09:11 AM.
splatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:12 AM   #20
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,270

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmit View Post
I suppose that this is one of those "anything is better than nothing" situations. Extending the life of a hole saw requires some sort of coolant and a slow speed.

I have had good luck with the Milwaukee "Shockwave" holesaws in panel enclosures. they are small, light, and cheap. I use my 12 volt impact and WD40. Note, these holesaws are useless in stainless.
Those things are great and they're cheap enough that I'm not going to sweat it if they don't last very long.
MechanicalDVR likes this.