Dealing With Assholes - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree58Likes

Old 03-06-2018, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 84
Default Dealing With Assholes

How do you do it? Whether it be someone in your company that you work with or dealing with pricks in the other trades. With so many egos and people that think they're King **** on Piss Island, how do you deal with some of this?
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
Small Potatoes

Rewards Points: 2,952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
How do you do it? Whether it be someone in your company that you work with or dealing with pricks in the other trades. With so many egos and people that think they're King **** on Piss Island, how do you deal with some of this?
How do we know you're not the problem?
flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 204

I havent had problems with anyone so far with this job, I kind of get along with everyone.
Speedy Petey and Barjack like this.
StriickeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriickeN View Post
I havent had problems with anyone so far with this job, I kind of get along with everyone.
Personally, in my situation, so do I. But I hear people talk/bash other people, who's a hack or a snake. I hear arguments between the trades about conflicting plans and who has to move what. I'm just curious about what kind of people skills/behavior I'll have to learn to develop when I'm no longer the quiet apprentice and I take on more responsibility.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #5
animal lover /rat bastard

Rewards Points: 976

reduce everything to its base properties (usually logic, time, or money), and consciously filter out all the BS is other people's arguments in order to provide only thoughtful, logical, and un-emotional responses/directives from yourself. The work arena is a big poker game. Keep calm, decide what the ball is and keep your eye on it, and don't show your cards or use your ammo until it serves you best. Above all, if someone really does pi$$ you off, don't get mad, just get even if it suits you. There has never been any shortage of aholes, and likely there never will be, so it is important to learn how to deal with them. As with any other obstacle in life, they can be dealt with, and often in a case by case basis.

For peace of mind, focusing on keeping your career path going, and what is best for you both in money and advancement, as well as future goals, is the important stuff. aholes will come and go.

If it helps, consider a couple of these principles:

by the way, I once had a boss who was known to go off on mad rampages, and fire people on the spot. After one episode, he took me off to the side, and asked me if I thought he was mad. Of course I said yes. He explained to me, to my surprise, that he never really got mad. He said that if he was really mad, he wouldn't say a word. Once he made up his mind, though, that people had screwed him, he would, for show, get mad and put on a show, but that was after he fully thought out all the whys and wherefores, and decided who he thought should be fired. At the time, it was a real shocker for me.
pjholguin (03-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #6
Russian Bot

Rewards Points: 3,877

You gotta put up with them on your way to work.
You gotta put up with them at work.
You got to put with them on the way home.
And you gotta put up with them, when you come here.

Fact of life, assholes are everywhere anymore.
MechanicalDVR (03-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 280

I try to take the high road, even though its tough sometimes.

We sometimes end up working with the same plumbers/HVAC/carpenters/masons from job to job and contractor to contractor.

I've found that if you look out for them, they will look out for you, most of the time. Even if they don't, don't let that dictate how you act. You are the only one who is responsible for how you act.

You will get farther by being the good guy, not the jerk. We have had plumbers and HVAC guys refer us to other contractors and clients specifically because of this attitude.
Barjack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barjack For This Useful Post:
LARMGUY (03-06-2018), pjholguin (03-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,428

This works best for me:
If I can ignore them then do so.

If not, then be straight up with them and don't let them think they're getting by you with something. No real need to be super-confrontational just be calm about it.

Every now and then when confronted they may admit they're at fault. First time shame on them. Second time, shame on me.

And full disclosure, on occasion I have been know to sink to their level.
bill39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:57 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,274

I find that being the biggest A-hole on the job means I don't have to worry about all the little A-holes.

In all seriousness, I have the greatest respect for the guys that just do their jobs with no gossip. I don't worry about who's doing what or who's going where. It takes some discipline. I just worry about my work, and let it speak for itself. I don't trash anyone else's work, just to make mine look better. I take full responsibility for my mistakes, even if I could weasel out of it, or point the finger. In the end more people will respect you for it, or at least the people that count.
Cow, wildleg, EB Electric and 2 others like this.
cabletie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cabletie For This Useful Post:
pjholguin (03-07-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 06:09 PM   #10
MTW

Rewards Points: 6,896

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjack View Post

We sometimes end up working with the same plumbers/HVAC/carpenters/masons from job to job and contractor to contractor.

I've found that if you look out for them, they will look out for you, most of the time. Even if they don't, don't let that dictate how you act. You are the only one who is responsible for how you act.

You will get farther by being the good guy, not the jerk. We have had plumbers and HVAC guys refer us to other contractors and clients specifically because of this attitude.
^^This.

I've experienced the same thing. When everyone gets along and the job goes very smoothly.
Barjack and pjholguin like this.
MTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #11
Can't sign em..forget em

Rewards Points: 10,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barjack View Post

This is S.O.P. with me ...without being nosy.

If the other trade seems uncooperative , I don't get in
their way , but I also don't go out of my way to help.

Aggression only leads to more aggression
Barjack and pjholguin like this.
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,872

A few years ago there was an asshole I mostly avoided. In fact, I'm usually non-confrontational. He was just a loud mouth bully that talked **** on others all the time.

The dumbass clearly couldn't sync up what was on the prints, to what was done in the field. He would start shouting about why I did my work the way I did and would frequently try to pin things I had nothing to do with, on me. One day he managed to convince the foreman that I screwed something up, turns out the print they were looking at was the wrong floor so I had to show them both they were wrong.

I never had a confrontation with him before, but for whatever reason he made me a target. I made a point one day to be very direct and correct him in front of everybody when he went on another one of his passive aggressive tirades. He brushed it off like he was just messing around.

He never bothered me again, though.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
TGGT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:22 PM   #13
Can't sign em..forget em

Rewards Points: 10,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGGT View Post
A few years ago there was an asshole I mostly avoided. In fact, I'm usually non-confrontational. He was just a loud mouth bully that talked **** on others all the time.

The dumbass clearly couldn't sync up what was on the prints, to what was done in the field. He would start shouting about why I did my work the way I did and would frequently try to pin things I had nothing to do with, on me. One day he managed to convince the foreman that I screwed something up, turns out the print they were looking at was the wrong floor so I had to show them both they were wrong.

I never had a confrontation with him before, but for whatever reason he made me a target. I made a point one day to be very direct and correct him in front of everybody when he went on another one of his passive aggressive tirades. He brushed it off like he was just messing around.

He never bothered me again, though.
what s first class d**k he sounds like.

I may have worked with his doppelganger a time or two
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:17 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 204

Quote:
Personally, in my situation, so do I. But I hear people talk/bash other people, who's a hack or a snake. I hear arguments between the trades about conflicting plans and who has to move what. I'm just curious about what kind of people skills/behavior I'll have to learn to develop when I'm no longer the quiet apprentice and I take on more responsibility.
I don't have time for bs, we like to meet before anything starts and make a plan (plumbers, hvac, etc). That way there is little reason for anyone to throw a fit and cause problems. I'm an apprentice too, so I'm kind of curious how things may change as well. I'm pretty sure i'll just do the same thing - plan stuff out to reduce conflict, get it done, move on to next job. If anything comes up i'll deal with it then.
StriickeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 07:59 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 14

Fart at them, that will shut em right up.
Works for me, no ones got an answer for it.
Eat foods that will give you lots a gas, no one will F with you.
I eat a lot of Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon grease and high fiber cereal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
d2043 likes this.
DashDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DashDingo For This Useful Post:
wildleg (03-06-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 2,296

Yes there are arseholes in this world,
Yes you will have to deal with them,
But how you deal with them shows who you really are !
Is it even worth breaking stride, or getting upset about ?
It rarely is.
But if you lose it, and rant and rave ?
Then your no better than them.

Be cool, ignore them
in one ear and out the other,
Move on !

Now your the winner !
pjholguin likes this.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:58 PM   #17
Cow

Rewards Points: 4,330

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashDingo View Post
Fart at them, that will shut em right up.
Works for me, no ones got an answer for it.
Eat foods that will give you lots a gas, no one will F with you.
I eat a lot of Brussels sprouts cooked in bacon grease and high fiber cereal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I swear you've been on here longer than 8 posts....what's up with that?
Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:34 AM   #18

Rewards Points: 25,344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmut View Post
You gotta put up with them on your way to work.
You gotta put up with them at work.
You got to put with them on the way home.
And you gotta put up with them, when you come here.

Fact of life, assholes are everywhere anymore.
The cost of production is low.

The cost of maintenance is actually quite high, though.
telsa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:05 AM   #19
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

Quote:

Just log into ET, you'll find plenty of practice material

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:19 AM   #20
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 2,788

One of the best things to learn at work, and one of the most difficult, is how to get along with people. Like anything else, most of them are easy, it's the difficult ones that take some skill and that separates the men from the boys.

There's no one answer because there's a million different kinds of difficult person and different situations, some call for the kid gloves and some the steel gauntlets.

If you filter out the BS and deal with it like an reasonable grown up as in @wildleg 's post, I think you'll see the kid gloves work more often than the iron fist.
splatz is online now   Reply With Quote