Device and breaker storage - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree19Likes

Old 08-11-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 779
Default Device and breaker storage

Currently I have a lot of shelf space taken up with boxes of breakers and bins of devices. I am wondering what other people use to store these on their truck?

Breakers fit well in the factory cardboard boxes, but they can't be stacked so you loose all that vertical shelf space. Has anyone found a drawer type of unit to hold these?

As for devices, I have 2-4 each of around 40 different style and color devices. Organization is hard and they sometimes get marred up.

For basic white and ivory receptacles and switches I buy 10-packs and keep them in the boxes, but for all the others I only need a few of each for random service calls. So I would like to find something better to store them.

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,118

I have been struggling with this too for my new van set-up. I don’t care too much about the breakers being “bounced around”, but the devices (especially the white ones) seem to get all scratched up or the plastic packages rip open and you lose the cover screws.

Although most of my stuff is Ranger in this van, I have a weatherguard unit and I am thinking of purchasing a second. https://www.carid.com/images/weather.../9918-3-02.jpg
Again not great for breakers, but I am thining this might be the answer for devices and covers.

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,018

Hey Hack I was a fishing fool for 40+ years and one thing common about large (long) center console fishing boats is a built in tackle locker. You'd open a door and there would be racks of boxes which slide in and out. You pull out a box that's about 12" x 24" or so, and there are dividers where you can make whatever sized space you want for lures, hooks, sinkers, terminal tackle, etc. What's great is you can size the spaces and they stack really nice. They're even very pleasant to work with on a boat rocking in very heavy seas, so I think on a van you'd be in even better shape.

Just thinking back, I think they'd work really well for receptacles & single pole breakers. Not sure if you could get double or triple (you don't do industrial or commercial so I can't see you needing 3 pole breakers) in there.

Search for "center console tackle storage" and see what you think about those things.

Update: Search for Plano Tackle Tray and just buy the trays. They're $5. Use a milk crate or whatever. Don't let someone rip you off by charging $500+ for the marine grade tray holder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(833) GPS-TIME

Last edited by MikeFL; 08-11-2019 at 07:53 AM.
MikeFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Mensa Player

Thanks for the ideas.

You know what I have been thinking to keep the devices neat, organized, and undamaged? Simple cardboard box with a cardboard divider grid inside.

Name:  partition-corrugated-boxes-250x250.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  14.1 KB

Big difference in price between this and a $300 drawer unit
Navyguy likes this.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #5
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,895

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
Thanks for the ideas.

You know what I have been thinking to keep the devices neat, organized, and undamaged? Simple cardboard box with a cardboard divider grid inside.

Attachment 135690

Big difference in price between this and a $300 drawer unit
I think it’s a good idea if you can find it. I use Cabela’s soft sided coolers for lots of things. They often go on sale for half price. Sometimes you have to look outside of the box, so to speak. I’m not sure how you would make a cooler work for devices, though.

I agree on the tackle box idea if you get the right compartment size. I use them for small parts, again the Cabela’s brand with the waterproof seal. Good and cheap.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #6

I do like the cardboard box too; the problem with all of these ideas is that you need to stop the device from rattling around and getting scuffed up. Even in my suggestion, they will likely get scuffed up. Short of individually wrapping them... I am actually trying to carry less on the truck because of this, but that is not working out too well either.

I am not prepared to spend big bucks on a Kiazan foam insert type installation for a bunch of $1.00 items...

Cheers
John

Old 08-11-2019, 10:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 8,958

I bought some cheap $1 plastic totes and plastic ziplock bags at the dollar store. I wrap the devices up in the bag and write with a sharpie what's in it (This helps to quickly determine TR/WR type devices).

this works ver very well, the devices are rarely if ever scuffed up. It also gives me a list of what I need to replace device wise (Since what was in it is written on it), as I can reuse the bags for a while.

Best of all for you Hack.... It is super cheap.
readydave8 likes this.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
I do like the cardboard box too; the problem with all of these ideas is that you need to stop the device from rattling around and getting scuffed up. Even in my suggestion, they will likely get scuffed up. Short of individually wrapping them... I am actually trying to carry less on the truck because of this, but that is not working out too well either.

I am not prepared to spend big bucks on a Kiazan foam insert type installation for a bunch of $1.00 items...

Cheers
John
I was thinking that the devices wouldn’t get marred up inside of individual cardboard sections.

Currently I have each device inside of its own little Ziploc bag, then piled into Eurobin containers. But it’s a pain in the ass to bag each one and unorganized
Navyguy likes this.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #9
Mensa Player

You can see them individually bagged. There are 3 sections in each container (white, light almond, and ivory). But then there are a lot of odd devices (brown 4-way , for example).

I don't like this setup.

Device and breaker storage-screen-shot-2019-08-11-10.50.41-am.jpg
Old 08-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 11,895

This might be a really dumb idea and I don’t even know if it would work but you could color code them.
Attached Thumbnails
Device and breaker storage-50a0446d-55e1-4787-9aa8-ea06216e7062.jpg  

B-Nabs and MikeFL like this.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #11
Gold Pliers Champion

Rewards Points: 2,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99cents View Post
This might be a really dumb idea and I don’t even know if it would work but you could color code them.
Now if they had Batman socks that would be an awesome idea.
99cents, B-Nabs, splatz and 1 others like this.
Signal1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #12

@HackWork

This is what I was trying to describe the other day withe the bin storage. I agree with your comment about the loss of vertical space between shelves. I am still trying to get this one right... work in progress; much like most things these days...

Cheers
John

Why do these pictures keep posting sideways!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Device and breaker storage-img_20190812_1401588.jpg  

Old 08-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #13
Mensa Player

Yeah, you see the shelves underneath? You are using 3" of height, the other 9" is wasted. There's gotta be a better way, even if you just put a couple extra shelves in.

As for the drawer system, that is a good idea. FWIW, American Van has the same thing for half the price. I use them for my van shelving and the quality is great. They beat Adrian Steel, Weatherguard, and Ranger by a very large margin.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Navyguy (08-12-2019)
Old 08-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 902

I would suggest nice custom wood drawers in a wood shelving system, but I know you would castrate me for the thought of it.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #15
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,655

I get this catalog from a company called ULINE sent to me without requesting it twice a year. Cheaper than Grainger for bins, shelving, things, but no motor controls and lighting to speak of. Anyway Uline Catalog between pages 466 and 469. But the cardboard box you posted is way better for individual device stocking in my book. Where do you find those?
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #16
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyguy View Post
@HackWork

This is what I was trying to describe the other day withe the bin storage. I agree with your comment about the loss of vertical space between shelves. I am still trying to get this one right... work in progress; much like most things these days...

Cheers
John

Why do these pictures keep posting sideways!!!
I've always purchased extra shelves to make the space hold more.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #17
Old Grumpy Bastard

Rewards Points: 1,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by HertzHound View Post
I would suggest nice custom wood drawers in a wood shelving system, but I know you would castrate me for the thought of it.
I can build anything from wood in cabinetry but with splinters and durability I prefer metal or plastic.

Always just a stallion in a china shop
MechanicalDVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #18
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,655

Bubble tubing , page 692. by the roll. Perfect solution to go along with the cardboard box , just slide em into the bubble tube before stuffing that into the cardboard dividers.
Just days before China unveiled a nuclear weapon that can "strike the US within 30 minutes with ten warheads" as part of a giant military parade, US Major General Lori Reynolds announced she's declaring "diversity" is a "warfighting necessity" which will help America defeat the more homogeneous nations of China and Russia.
macmikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #19
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 14

I get those U line catalogs too. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Transit box truck with a lift and shelves in the next couple of days. Thinking about a better way too for devices.
nrp3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #20
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrp3 View Post
I get those U line catalogs too. I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Transit box truck with a lift and shelves in the next couple of days. Thinking about a better way too for devices.
You better post pictures!
The_Modifier likes this.