Distance meters - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By splatz
  • 1 Post By Rora

Old 02-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 55
Question Distance meters

I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any kind of distance meter that would work for clear liquids. (I E coconut oil). It seems a laser reads right through the oil and I'm not sure if a sonar unit would work either. I have a stainless steal tank that we would like to know how full or empty it is as the product is being used. Thanks for any thoughts.
Musky Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,030

I have used proximity sensors in water tanks, once you figure out what the percentage is to the mA you should be fine. You don't have to worry about Food Grade either because it is not in contact with the liquid.

Lots of options here https://www.endressdirect.us/level

Cheers
John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Navyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:01 PM   #3
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 16,277

This business of measuring coconut oil levels in Wisconsin is a bit off the charts frankly. Just sayin.....
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2018, 06:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 195

I have seen ultrasonic measurement used before in wastewater wells, could be worth a look.
Paulusgnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky Hunter View Post
I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any kind of distance meter that would work for clear liquids. (I E coconut oil). It seems a laser reads right through the oil and I'm not sure if a sonar unit would work either. I have a stainless steal tank that we would like to know how full or empty it is as the product is being used. Thanks for any thoughts.
What about a flow monitor on the input and output pipes? And/or a simple float type transducer?
Pete E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:06 AM   #6
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 4,022

Would a pressure transducer work for this?

Recent thread with a lot of good info...

http://www.electriciantalk.com/f28/n...r-tank-241434/
MechanicalDVR likes this.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 700

Quote:
Laser probably isn't working because the clear liquid isn't reflecting enough back to register on the sensor. Utrasonic would work because the reflection is physical and the sensor will detect the echo off the surface.

There are lots of other options too, like pressure, GWR, capacitance... although ultrasonic is probably your best bet due to being non-contact, which is preferable in the food industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete E View Post
What about a flow monitor on the input and output pipes? And/or a simple float type transducer?
Although monitoring the flow in and out works in a perfect world, it's not a direct measurement and prone to developing an error/offset. Even then you'd need two Coriolis meters or something otherwise temperature/pressure corrected and it would end up being a lot more expensive. Floats only work for point detection, which is fine for simple fill/drain controls but not actual monitoring.
Pete E likes this.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 404
Default Any motion

Sonic or pressure transducers work fine as long as your not agitating the liquid.

Load cells on tanks works the best.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:50 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 416

Quote:
Differential pressure works well for level monitoring as long as you have the fittings on the vessel you are measuring, ultrasonic will work as well as long as the surface is calm and there is no foaming (may need stilling well) and has the benefit of having no contact with the fluid. Capacitance probe may work but needs to sit in the fluid.
Float columns with magnetic switches work but the float is in the fluid.
mitch65 is offline   Reply With Quote