Do I need to upgrade 3 phase or am I good to go? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Southeast Power
  • 3 Post By telsa
  • 1 Post By micromind
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

Rewards Points: 8
Default Do I need to upgrade 3 phase or am I good to go?

Thank you for reading my post and considering the dilemma.
I’m not an electrician and I need help figuring out what if anything I need to upgrade. Is this plug n play ready? I have received three contradicting opinions.

I have ordered a portable Hobart GPU-600 transformer rectifier with the following power requirements:
208/230/460 Supply Voltage, 3 phase reconnectable
89/76/37 Full load input

Photo 1 - circuit breaker (3 phase 100 amp)
Photo 2 - panel label (Help please)
Photo 3 – receptacle Hubbell (HBL460R7W)
Photo 4 – receptacle Hubbell (HBL460R7W)
Photo5 – CB Label

Do I need to upgrade anything or am I plug n play ready?

https://goo.gl/photos/2NEc319963zE8gKJ6

Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 09:59 PM   #2
86 45 20

Rewards Points: 8,146

Hail Mary, full of grace. The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
chicken steve, splatz and BrettC like this.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25,878

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleAaron View Post
Thank you for reading my post and considering the dilemma.
I’m not an electrician and I need help figuring out what if anything I need to upgrade. Is this plug n play ready? I have received three contradicting opinions.

I have ordered a portable Hobart GPU-600 transformer rectifier with the following power requirements:
208/230/460 Supply Voltage, 3 phase reconnectable
89/76/37 Full load input

Photo 1 - circuit breaker (3 phase 100 amp)
Photo 2 - panel label (Help please)
Photo 3 – receptacle Hubbell (HBL460R7W)
Photo 4 – receptacle Hubbell (HBL460R7W)
Photo5 – CB Label

Do I need to upgrade anything or am I plug n play ready?

https://goo.gl/photos/2NEc319963zE8gKJ6

Since you've not provided remotely enough info...

Take this project to an EE or EC in your town.

They'll have to visit your site, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

Default Isn't that the truth!

That is about how I feel. I keep asking the Good Lord for clarity and as soon as I think I have the solution, I discover something else I didn't know.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
Registered Member

Default Tried and faild

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post

I had one on the site today. He didn't even look at the panel... WT*?

In the mean time, its heating up in AZ and the owner wants to precool the cabin. The unit is waiting to be shipped because I don't know what plug to spec on the unit (hubbell HBL4100R7W or HBL460R7W).

After I cross that hurdle I can complete the work in the hangar while the unit is in transit from the east coast.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

Default What else do I need to provide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by telsa View Post

What else do I need to provide? Am I looking at the equipment now? If I hadn't wasted a week scheduling two different electricians (Both in good standing with AZROC) I wouldn't be in this pickle now. Did you review the images?

Thanks,

Aaron
Old 03-22-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,654

The equipment you have will work for the rectifier though 100 amps might be a bit low for an 89 amp load (see below). The only thing I see that needs to be done is some sort of load calc on the panel. Adding 80 more amps to even a 400 amp panel is a lot.

Does the rectifier operate at 100% continuously? I get the idea this rectifier will supply 24DC to airplanes so it will very likely not be loaded to 100% for more than 3 hours. If so, then a 100 amp circuit is code compliant. If it does run more than 3 hours, it'll need to be a 125 amp. This will be difficult at best........

I would label the panel 'Rectifier Receptacle'. Or maybe '100 Amp Rectifier Receptacle'.
PlugsAndLights likes this.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:04 AM   #8
Can't Remember

Rewards Points: 956

Probably also depends upon how large of a load this aircraft draws from the apu.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 556

This may or may not apply, but bottom line is go over this on site with your EC.

Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. However, working with electricity and electrical systems can be unsafe if not done by a professional licensed electrician. The moderators of this site would like to advise you to contact a professional electrician in your area.

If you are permitted by law in your area to do your own electrical work, please sign up at our sister site, www.DIYChatroom.com where many of our professionals are also members and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.