Do you carry too many tools? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree92Likes

Old 12-26-2018, 10:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 333
Default Do you carry too many tools?

Stopped by the supply house and purchased the veto MC-OT bag today, and tried to load it up when I got home. I got 3/4 of my tools out of my backpack and was completely out of space. I already cut down last week just to shed some weight but I donít know what else I can lose at this point. I hate working with guys that show up with the powerhouse five saying they only need the minimum on the tool list, only to borrow my stuff hours later because they canít complete a task. Our company isnít the best at planning out work either, and we do a lot of service type work. Light commercial one day to industrial the next. Iíve thought about getting a second bag for less used tools but I hate wasting time walking out to the car.
Anyone else been able to consolidate successfully or I am I doomed to a life of heavy lifting and a bad back lol
Smid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #2
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 293

The MC is too small.

After 15 years I finally found what I thought was the perfect combo near end of my union working career. I was able to fit the entire tool list (minus the hacksaw) plus many other tools that I wanted into the Veto LC closed top bag. That kept the tools safe and allowed me to easily see what was missing. In addition to the Veto I carried the Husky tool tray. The benefit of that was that I could take the tools I was going to be using at that time and keep them in the tray, not having to put each one back into the Veto every time I moved. So then I could keep the Veto nearby, but not right there. The tray also made it easier for me because I could also put small material into it to take with me.

So when I was running pipe I would take out those 5 tools and put them in the tray and then leave the Veto in the gangbox or on the cart. And I might keep those in the tray for days. But then when I switched to running wires I would "re-tool" and grab whatever tools I needed for that.
MechanicalDVR likes this.
HackWork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
The MC is too small.

After 15 years I finally found what I thought was the perfect combo near end of my union working career. I was able to fit the entire tool list (minus the hacksaw) plus many other tools that I wanted into the Veto LC closed top bag. That kept the tools safe and allowed me to easily see what was missing. In addition to the Veto I carried the Husky tool tray. The benefit of that was that I could take the tools I was going to be using at that time and keep them in the tray, not having to put each one back into the Veto every time I moved. So then I could keep the Veto nearby, but not right there. The tray also made it easier for me because I could also put small material into it to take with me.

So when I was running pipe I would take out those 5 tools and put them in the tray and then leave the Veto in the gangbox or on the cart. And I might keep those in the tray for days. But then when I switched to running wires I would "re-tool" and grab whatever tools I needed for that.
The LC looks nice, Iíll look a little more into it. I was debating on the o.t lc just for the ease of working out of it but one side has like 5 giant pockets instead of individual ones. I have the tech pac backpack, while nice to carry just takes up too much room on a cart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2018, 10:38 PM   #4
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smid View Post
The LC looks nice, I’ll look a little more into it. I was debating on the o.t lc just for the ease of working out of it but one side has like 5 giant pockets instead of individual ones. I have the tech pac backpack, while nice to carry just takes up too much room on a cart.
I had the OT LC, I did not like it. It did not hold as much as the closed top LC, and I also didn't like all my tools out in the open. I like that I could zipper up the LC and put it somewhere and not worry as much about people grabbing a tool as I did with the OT LC.

You mention the back pac taking too much room on your cart, that is where my system shined. I would take just the tools I needed in the $5 Husky tool tray and leave the Veto bag in the gangbox or somewhere nearby. Typically you know what you are going to be doing and you only need 3-7 tools.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
Dope-less Hope Fiend

Rewards Points: 468

I keep one of these next to me, and a couple tools in a back pocket.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/PROLOCK-...B008/304486501
ďGive me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!Ē

Last edited by Dan the electricman; 12-26-2018 at 10:49 PM.
Dan the electricman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,333

Why is it, that every job has that one guy that has to ask, "do I need any tools"? Why me? Why do they always ask me? My all time favorite, go to reply is, "do you need this job'?
MechanicalDVR and glen1971 like this.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,100

I have a AWP open top and it is perfect for what I do, it even has a zipper compartment for my Knopp and a cheapie mini meter. I have consolidated some with a 6 in 1 nut driver made by Lenox. $10 and it’s a lot handier than a Klein ( 1/3 the cost too).
Maybe take a picture of your setup so we all can see what you carry and make suggestions.
Old 12-26-2018, 11:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,750

NOPE... I have the perfect selection of tools for my job.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:12 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 8,986

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian john View Post
NOPE... I have the perfect selection of tools for my job.
Me too...

My tool selection allows me to get the job done correctly and efficiently.

Do I have a lot of tools?

Yes.

Do I have too many?

Nope.
Switched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:31 AM   #10
Senile Member

Rewards Points: 17,249

I can put whatever tools I am going to need for a job, or for the day, onto this folding cart that takes up minimal space inside my van. Less space than a 4 ft ladder does. I do commercial jobs with it, residential jobs with it, and service calls of every type with it. Laugh all you like, this thing is irreplaceable. Earlier this month and during November I would do residential using it during daylight hours, and then go do a travel agency build out with it after hours in a 20 story building. Shazzam! it's that good.

B-Nabs likes this.
Drudge Report
macmikeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 12:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmikeman View Post
I can put whatever tools I am going to need for a job, or for the day, onto this folding cart that takes up minimal space inside my van. Less space than a 4 ft ladder does. I do commercial jobs with it, residential jobs with it, and service calls of every type with it. Laugh all you like, this thing is irreplaceable. Earlier this month and during November I would do residential using it during daylight hours, and then go do a travel agency build out with it after hours in a 20 story building. Shazzam! it's that good.
What folding cart?

Looking for some good options for the vans, something that takes up less space than the Rubbermaid type carts, but can haul stuff up and down the streets in the city.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:36 AM   #12
Senile Member

Sorry Switched, I hit the post button before I remembered to add the picture.
Switched likes this.
Drudge Report
Old 12-27-2018, 12:38 AM   #13

That folds all the way down, or do you break it apart?
Old 12-27-2018, 12:45 AM   #14
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched View Post
That folds all the way down, or do you break it apart?
Folds all the way down. I had that one two-three years now, still chugging along. I bought two when I got it, but the second one is still in the original box unopened. I know other guys who bought them also and most love it. One or two managed to overload it so bad the wheel bearings all popped out, but like I said, mine still is holding strong. I just simply don't have room for the much sturdier , better gray carts in my van getting in the way all the time. This don't get in the way at all. I remove the heavy stuff and carry it up the stairs when I'm wiring a 2 story house, it speeds up my operation a whole bunch.
Switched likes this.
Drudge Report
Old 12-27-2018, 06:20 AM   #15
tjb
Cool Kid

Rewards Points: 363

Just FYI, Iíve found that Veto, although generally rugged and a good product, are heavy for their size, and small (in capacity) for their size. Youíre finding out that what you thought was the right size Veto doesnít hold as much tools as you thought it should. Youíre right. Get the next size up. And yes it will be heavy. Thatís Veto.
stuiec likes this.
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 07:33 AM   #16
Mensa Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb View Post
Just FYI, Iíve found that Veto, although generally rugged and a good product, are heavy for their size, and small (in capacity) for their size. Youíre finding out that what you thought was the right size Veto doesnít hold as much tools as you thought it should. Youíre right. Get the next size up. And yes it will be heavy. Thatís Veto.
This is true, the Veto is very heavy.

I had the original Veto closed bag, not sure what it was called (XL I think...?). I found it too big, that's why I switched down to the LC. I was able to fit the entire union tool list plus the extra tools that I wanted into it. Everything except for the hacksaw, which I refused to use anyway. The hacksaw did fit into the XL, FWIW.

Since the OP is union and mentioned the tool list, that is why I think it will work for him.
Chops146 likes this.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:11 AM   #17
Petulant Amateur

Rewards Points: 12,483

Clip a TP3 to the side. Then you have a small bag to carry around with essential tools and you’re not lugging the heavy bag around with you everywhere.
99cents is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 99cents For This Useful Post:
MechanicalDVR (12-27-2018)
Old 12-27-2018, 08:46 AM   #18
Hackenschmidt

Rewards Points: 280

I use a big Veto to keep all the small tools organized on the truck. It's very rare that it comes in to the job with me. It works well enough, it's not perfect but it's pretty good. I am not entirely sure I wouldn't be better off with a metal five drawer tool box that stays on the truck. Like @HackWork, I load up totes and other things from that for the task at hand.

I keep a smaller Veto that I load up and keep with me all day, once in a great while. I have a couple stops where I am working indoors, outdoors, and in vaults, long walk to the truck, I need more than one meter, mechanical tools, etc. It's really useful because it's waterproof, I can set it on wet ground without worrying, I can pick and replace tools easily while working rather than spreading tools out on the wet ground, and I can close it up fast if it starts raining.

I bought both these off Craigslist. If I had to replace the big one, I'd probably buy the same thing again, unless I could find something bigger. If I had to replace the little one, I would get a backpack for sure, not sure whether it would be the Veto but it might. Other than the price my main gripe with the Veto is it's just unnecessarily heavy. Walking from place to place it would be easier and free up hands, and I could hang it off a spike or whatever to keep it up high.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackWork View Post
This is true, the Veto is very heavy.

I had the original Veto closed bag, not sure what it was called (XL I think...?). I found it too big, that's why I switched down to the LC. I was able to fit the entire union tool list plus the extra tools that I wanted into it. Everything except for the hacksaw, which I refused to use anyway. The hacksaw did fit into the XL, FWIW.

Since the OP is union and mentioned the tool list, that is why I think it will work for him.
I am union and I also refuse the hacksaw lol. Our list isnít very big, and somethings seem outdated like having a tap wrench but Allen keys arenít on it. But I like to think itís a minimum not a maximum which a lot people disagree with
The Following User Says Thank You to Smid For This Useful Post:
hodges (01-01-2019)
Old 12-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 460 Delta View Post
I have a AWP open top and it is perfect for what I do, it even has a zipper compartment for my Knopp and a cheapie mini meter. I have consolidated some with a 6 in 1 nut driver made by Lenox. $10 and itís a lot handier than a Klein ( 1/3 the cost too).
Maybe take a picture of your setup so we all can see what you carry and make suggestions.

If I could figure out how to post pics lol. photobucket was my go to