Do you talk to your clients about electrical safety? - Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Electrician Talk - Professional Electrical Contractors Forum > Electrical Forum > General Electrical Discussion

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By daveEM
  • 3 Post By lighterup
  • 1 Post By HackWork
  • 1 Post By joebanana

Old 02-13-2018, 01:01 PM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 5,922
Default Do you talk to your clients about electrical safety?

Do you talk to your clients about electrical safety?-electrical-safety-lge.jpg

Quote:
Youíre already well aware of the inherent risks and dangers of electricity, but the average lay-person can be a bit lackadaisical about it. Use your job as a chance to educate your clients about the safe use and handling of electricity in their home or office. As an electrician, youíre the expert and itís an unspoken duty to lessen hazards whenever and wherever you can. Five Ways to Get Your Clients Thinking About Electrical Safety
Do you talk to your clients about electrical safety?
Join Contractor Talk

Join the #1 Electrician Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

ElectricianTalk.com - Are you a Professional Electrical Contractor? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's the leading place for electricians to meet online. No homeowners asking DIY questions. Just fellow tradesmen who enjoy talking about their business, their trade, and anything else that comes up. No matter what your specialty is you'll find that ElectricianTalk.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join ElectricianTalk.com - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. ElectricianTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2018, 02:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,594

Generally, in today's market, the customer asks us about our safety program. Do we have one, can they have a copy of our safety brochure, what level training, OSHA 10, 30, NFPA 70E, what PPE we provide.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #3
:-)

Rewards Points: 2,382

No. Like my mom taught me, their moms taught them no bobby pins in the receptacles.

Is there a prize for Canadians on this?
Max C. likes this.

I like perfect.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
daveEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #4
Bilge Rat

Rewards Points: 2,684

General safety, no. Unless they ask. Safety specific to something I've just installed, yes.

Not just electrical safety, the mechanical end of it too.

I tend to go more the common sense route, not rules and regulations. I find that if I share my personal experiences and opinions, people will listen more. If I just spout off a bunch of rules, I'll lose most of them in about 10 seconds.

What they really like hearing are cases where someone didn't have a safety attitude and caused something to blow up.

The hardest part about explaining safety is that I don't know the experience level of my 'class'. There's no point in going over the basics if everyone is a journeyman. But if even one person has little experience, I really don't want to go too far over his head and have him stay silent out of fear of looking dumb.

Explaining true safety is harder than it looks.......
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:56 AM   #5
Retired Account

Rewards Points: 14,650

The general public doesn't even expect a power interruption for our services

The GC's want us all to appear compliant , then introduce every means to thwart it

The enforcement authorities all expect us to learn safety by osmosis

The 'safety market' is raft with veiled threats ,and pseudo authoritarians constantly spamming us snail/email

Most of us are lucky if we see a copy of 70E in an apprenticeship

The trade is lousy with 'old school' sorts ,who will purposely violate any safety standard for a job if they can, because playing safe can be a substantial cost factor .

This ^^^ is the gestalt we survive in , before we talk to anyone

~CS~
chicken steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:32 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,520

More and more customers are asking for it. I’m not talking about the home owner, I’m talking about commercial customers. We have high tech customers around here like Honeywell, IBM, RIM (Blackberry), Adobe etc who all demand to see our safety program and some have their own mandatory one we must take to work in their buildings.

I got caught a couple times not having a lock and tag on a breaker for a circuit I was working on. Once at CanadaPost, and once at Honeywell. The Honeywell guy just kinda gave me the look and all was good. I was replacing a ballast. CanadaPost made a huge deal, called my office. I had to retake the safety program they offer.
eddy current is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:13 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,594

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post

The GC's want us all to appear compliant , then introduce every means to thwart it
Here the GC's on large commercial jobs and data centers are all over safety, the owners have safety inspectors that police everyone and the GC and subs are held to strict standards.

Smaller jobs not so much or not at all.

Quote:

And add to the rules regularly, with no thought to impact on contractors or cost.

Quote:
The 'safety market' is raft with veiled threats, and pseudo authoritarians constantly spamming us snail/email
If you can make a new product then develop a rule around it, that is cash in your pocket.

Quote:
Our union has 70E and OSHA 10 for all apprentices, we have 70E, OSHA 10 for all employees at regular intervals and OSHA 30 for all supervisors and service truck men.

Quote:
The trade is lousy with 'old school' sorts ,who will purposely violate any safety standard for a job if they can, because playing safe can be a substantial cost factor.

TRUE and I was guilty of that in the vein of hard to teach old dogs new tricks, the younger electricians are more keyed in on safety.

But The times are a changing.

Last edited by brian john; 02-14-2018 at 06:16 PM.
brian john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
Can't sign em..forget em

Rewards Points: 10,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken steve View Post
The general public doesn't even expect a power interruption for our services

The 'safety market' is raft with veiled threats ,and pseudo authoritarians constantly spamming us snail/email

The trade is lousy with 'old school' sorts ,who will purposely violate any safety standard for a job if they can, because playing safe can be a substantial cost factor .

This ^^^ is the gestalt we survive in , before we talk to anyone

~CS~
You mean to tell me that the floor sanders aren't supposed to come on
to a job , take my panel cover off and alligator clip onto the
busses for their 40 amp floor sander?...I DID NOT KNOW THAT
lighterup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
Mensa Player

Rewards Points: 1,801

Can I ask who writes these articles? They never have an author listed.

You should pay me to write them, filled with keywords.
JoeSparky likes this.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 7,051

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighterup View Post
You mean to tell me that the floor sanders aren't supposed to come on
to a job , take my panel cover off and alligator clip onto the
busses for their 40 amp floor sander?...I DID NOT KNOW THAT
Of course not...they're supposed to use battery cable clamps, alligator clips aren't rated for 40a. (grin)
lighterup likes this.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 7,051

I consider electrical safety education part of the job. In fact it can be good for business. Often the customer is so concerned with the immediate problem, they forget to mention minor concerns.
My favorite "lecture" is power strips plugged into power strips. I've seen them things melt.
joebanana is offline   Reply With Quote